Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #30 - 03/31/16 at 05:54:38

I only used that as a picture reference. I am definitely getting a raptor petcock.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #31 - 04/10/16 at 07:08:53

Just an update

I got the Raptor petcock, Brake set, new rear tire.  Got it all put on and test rode.. The bike still continues to cut off like its starving for fuel. I have to put the new(and did have to with the old) petcock in the Reserve position to get the bike to start back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 04/10/16 at 07:31:20

My rear brake was too easy to lock up. I cut the shoes with the edge of a four inch grinder.Eliminating about 1/3 of the contact area. It was Much better. I would take a little more off, if I had kept the bike.

How much gas in the tank?
Did you open the cap?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #33 - 04/10/16 at 08:27:50

I bucked up for a deer the other night that never even jumped out in the road. I was just afraid it would. Tells you how much I trust deer.  Grin Anyway-- about that rear tire-- I had a hard time keeping it from sliding. I thought my drum had glazed over, as it didn't seem to have a huge amount of bite. But when I actually needed it to stop, that darn thing locked too easy. I don't think I even put anywhere near full pressure on the front brake. I had to focus on keeping it in control. Ever notice you are less likely to use the front brake when the rear locks up? Or is it just me?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #34 - 04/10/16 at 08:41:47

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/10/16 at 07:08:53:
Just an update

I got the Raptor petcock, Brake set, new rear tire.  Got it all put on and test rode.. The bike still continues to cut off like its starving for fuel. I have to put the new(and did have to with the old) petcock in the Reserve position to get the bike to start back.

This is sounding more like the problem I had. Did you check the filter screen behind the float valve? When it's starving for fuel, it should cut off slowly over a span of, say, 5 seconds (could be more or could be less) increasingly weakening, missing and bucking before finally losing all power. If it cuts suddenly without bucking, I would suspect an electrical problem. Of course, even a loose connection could probably cause missing and bucking, right?

Actually, if the your condition is just right in severity, you'll be able to ride for miles with the bike missing and bucking all the way. I used the enrichment knob and full throttle to make it to work at least once that way. That was fairly early in the issue's progression. But then, riding that way could be hard on the engine.

Have you ever had a bike try to die on you while riding with the fuel shut off? It's kinda like that, but it can take longer and more pressure (throttle) to occur, depending on the severity of the blockage. This means that instead of barely making it around the block, you end up sitting on the shoulder of a four-lane. Roll Eyes

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 04/10/16 at 09:54:39

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/10/16 at 08:27:50:
I bucked up for a deer the other night that never even jumped out in the road. I was just afraid it would. Tells you how much I trust deer.  Grin Anyway-- about that rear tire-- I had a hard time keeping it from sliding. I thought my drum had glazed over, as it didn't seem to have a huge amount of bite. But when I actually needed it to stop, that darn thing locked too easy. I don't think I even put anywhere near full pressure on the front brake. I had to focus on keeping it in control. Ever notice you are less likely to use the front brake when the rear locks up? Or is it just me?

But when I actually needed it to stop, that darn thing locked too easy

There's a simple solution.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #36 - 04/10/16 at 16:37:07

It is bucking. Missing and all that good stuff before it stops running
The carb was recently redone and cleaned. I have new gas in it. Cant imagine it being electrical.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #37 - 04/10/16 at 16:42:47

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/10/16 at 08:41:47:
jrobeson18 wrote on 04/10/16 at 07:08:53:
Just an update

Well since mine wont go 1/4 mile in the ON position nor idle good(just tested this today) I'm thinking ill just ride it in the RES position

Quote:
This is sounding more like the problem I had. Did you check the filter screen behind the float valve? When it's starving for fuel, it should cut off slowly over a span of, say, 5 seconds (could be more or could be less) increasingly weakening, missing and bucking before finally losing all power. If it cuts suddenly without bucking, I would suspect an electrical problem. Of course, even a loose connection could probably cause missing and bucking, right?

Actually, if the your condition is just right in severity, you'll be able to ride for miles with the bike missing and bucking all the way. I used the enrichment knob and full throttle to make it to work at least once that way. That was fairly early in the issue's progression. But then, riding that way could be hard on the engine.

Have you ever had a bike try to die on you while riding with the fuel shut off? It's kinda like that, but it can take longer and more pressure (throttle) to occur, depending on the severity of the blockage. This means that instead of barely making it around the block, you end up sitting on the shoulder of a four-lane. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 04/10/16 at 19:31:44 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #38 - 04/10/16 at 17:50:56

Did you try it with the tank cap off or loose per JoG's advice? It's good advice....
Even try it at home: Lock the cap on, disconnect the fuel line and have it empty into a tin. Open the fuel tap. see what comes out. A steady stream or a dribble? Listen to the fuel cap. Hear a whistling noise? If you don't, it's not venting and the fuel can't come out. The tank needs to be able to replace draining fuel with air, otherwise the fuel just wants to stay in the tank. If the cap is blocked, it needs repairing or replacing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 04/10/16 at 18:39:00

Yep, if it's not draining, it's not feeding the carb.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #40 - 04/10/16 at 21:03:43

cheapnewb24 wrote on 04/10/16 at 08:27:50:
Ever notice you are less likely to use the front brake when the rear locks up?

That's because you're more focused on NOT dumping the bike than you are on actually braking correctly!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #41 - 04/11/16 at 04:05:55

I did empty the tank starting with the tank cap on. and with it off. ran the bike both ways too. results indifferent.

and yes I try to focus on braking correctly and using counter steering all the time

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #42 - 04/11/16 at 04:54:08

I did empty the tank starting with the tank cap on. and with it off. ran the bike both ways too. results indifferent.

Well, snot the cap vent.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #43 - 04/11/16 at 05:41:45

Also, when I start the bike when its in gear, yes holding in the clutch. the bike jerks forward like the clutch isn't fully disengauged. anyone got a write up- how to on adjusting the clutch catch point?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #44 - 04/11/16 at 05:50:50

That's just normal. Put it in neutral.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:31:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.