Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #15 - 03/29/16 at 12:53:30

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #16 - 03/29/16 at 21:43:54

sweeeet. awesome thank you guys.

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #17 - 03/29/16 at 22:49:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwyOCdUup8

Full name is The Cornering Bible - Twist of the wrist II
it is also a book!! with pics and diagrams if you in to detailing

IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/29/16 at 23:05:02

jrobeson18 wrote on 03/28/16 at 15:16:01:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 03/28/16 at 14:38:33:
By the way, how did you lock your rear tire?

Going around a turn that gets sharper. Going the speed limit and panicked. Rookie mistake.
Well I saw an oncoming car, and then panic brake. I ended up ditching the turn for softer grass.

Countersteering is the answer.  Consciously countersteer every time you ride and make it a part of your riding skillset and you'll be so much safer.  See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbmXxwKbmA

I'm glad you're alright.  Hope this helps you.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #19 - 03/30/16 at 03:08:33

See, thats the bad part. I was counter steering. I was full lean and committed. The person behind me said my rear tire was floating around.  Probably why I didnt turn as hard as i thought I should have... I got the new tire, waiting to be put on. Now to find time and money to do the brakes and clean it up and paint the rim while its off

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #20 - 03/30/16 at 06:20:44

jrobeson18 wrote on 03/28/16 at 15:16:01:
cheapnewb24 wrote on 03/28/16 at 14:38:33:
By the way, how did you lock your rear tire?

Going around a turn that gets sharper. Going the speed limit and panicked. Rookie mistake.
Well I saw an oncoming car, and then panic brake. I ended up ditching the turn for softer grass. No dents. No paint scratches. 2 bruises. And now an apparent faulty petcock. I'll have to take it apart and see for myself. Since the bike is 1/5 a tank of gas left...
I'm getting new handlebars And the raptor petcock asap. Probably gunna pull the fenders and repaint them while the rear tire is off getting a new tire put on. As well as rear shoes.

Remember to check to see if the petcock filter tubes are intact. If something's amiss, you may have to go into the carb and clean the trash from that filter.That float valve can be hard to remove, too. Get a really good grip on it with Vise Grips, but remember that  it is soft brass and can collapse. I boogered mine up, but it still works. I have a new one if I need it, though.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 03/30/16 at 07:08:37

Struch wrote on 03/29/16 at 22:49:55:

I'm not finished yet, but it does seem to be on target.
I had no idea about flicking the bike ,how, even if it could be done, until shortly after I got brave enough to ride in town and some woman came out of her lane and took mine. Something inside me shoved on the bar, the bike dropped over, cranked it the other way and it literally hopped into the next lane. Could I do that just Any time? No, I couldn't. Someone else might can, it's possible to Do, I know, but sometimes stuff works out for Me best when it is a reflexive response to a hazard Someone else created. If I Decide to do it, it's not as fluid and the Timing is from My brain, not the defensive, reflexive part.
A national champion, all round gymnast buddy summed it up,
Think long, think wrong.
Once you are in the groove, no daydreaming, solid , in the moment, riding, then, like shooting pool, you See the lines and Then quick responses become more reflexive, But, as the video points out, Many natural instincts are just wrong and before you discover the right reflexive move to teach yourself, you could get dead.

My first high speed corner, Yamaha RD400, riding away from my friend, longish right sweep, two lane, 55 mph for cars, easy, so, I'm inside, and a bit over 80,  yee haa,, down a ways, slowed, processing and figuring on a hotter return trip.  Didn't know that Now I'm on the Outside and the crown of the road puts me off camber... I had zero experience with the term counter steering, but I was running over 90, and I couldn't get the bike leaned, nothing but a wall of pine trees to hit, so, I turned left,, and it started standing up. Crossed That off as an answer and, knowing that I was now Way off line and the next answer works or im in real trouble, I steered right, it layed down and got through the turn. Once it was on the straight, I stopped, right in the middle of the road,got off, and just shook..
You can be shook up later,, right Now, you better be doing Something.

And no, no helmet, but you go into a wall of trees at speed and the helmet is not gonna save you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #22 - 03/30/16 at 07:34:10

Struch wrote on 03/29/16 at 22:49:55:

I learned a lot in the halfway mark. I'll finish it at home when I'm not working. Seems to be pretty spot on. Great link.

And I took thr  petcock off. It looked undamaged. It has a orange shaft with mesh fixed to it( I dont think its OE)  gas was a clean as it could be. Strainded I when draining and all that. Ibran it for about 5 min yesterday, to make sure I got everything back together good. The cam chain tensioner has got to get done before I ride it. As well as brakes... Anyone know where I can get brake reasonably cheap? I work in auto parts but I have no idea the part number they are.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #23 - 03/30/16 at 07:57:23

If there are two pipes, there should be a plastic mesh filter pipe on each.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #24 - 03/30/16 at 08:11:06

Its solid one long tube. About 1" wide and about 4-6 long IIRC. And about six open mesh spots per side. I'll drain thr tank and take it out for pictures. I have to find and change my spark plug.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #25 - 03/30/16 at 08:13:35

I bought these several years ago...seem to do the trick...
http://atvbrakesnmore.ecrater.com/p/4087053/suzuki-brakes-05-08-ls-650-boulev...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #26 - 03/30/16 at 08:48:52

Will those fit? Mine is a 1996

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #27 - 03/30/16 at 13:02:20

they have another set on the site that fits your year...
looks like the same part number...except for a "K"

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #28 - 03/31/16 at 04:53:11

Okay, ordered a set.
Now to find a raptor pet thingy...

The picture attached, if it works, it one the looks identical to the one that came off my bike.

wp_ss_20160331_0003.png
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 03/31/16 at 05:27:36

You don't want to buy another diaphragm petcock that is prone to failure.

You want a genuine Yamaha Raptor manual petcock (Not a chinese copy....look for the part number 5LP-24500-01-00, Yamaha name, and white box).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2005-Yamaha-Raptor-660-SE-Fuel-Petcock-Assembly-5...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-Tank-Petcock-Turn-Valve-thingy-OEM-Yamaha-Ra...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Factory-Yamaha-Petcock-Fuel-Gas-Valve-01-05-YFM66...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 11:16:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.