Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #120 - 04/16/16 at 14:53:27

That's the jet needle that controls roughly off-idle to almost full throttle. If you look inside, you'll see a brass plate. Under that plate is the "white spacer" that needs to be made thinner (or use #4 brass washers) to run slightly richer.

See the carb rejetting thread for more details.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #121 - 04/16/16 at 17:24:55

Okay. Well in the smaller brass "jet" in this picture, or where it would go. It has no hole through it. It is supposed to be this way? Or should I drill it out some?

IMAG00389_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #122 - 04/17/16 at 10:09:07

You don't need to make holes where there aren't holes.

The only things you need to mess with to adjust the fuel/air mix, is the pilot jet size, the main jet size, and the height of the needle.  The float level should also be checked, and the carb cleaned.

I would suggest you start with a #150 man jet, a #50 or 52.5 Pilot jet, and 3 washers on the needle (with the needle clip in the center).

By starting with what we know works.....you will eliminate having to fool around with something that doesn't work.  Some folks with cone filters have had to go a bit bigger on the pilot and/or main.....an open pipe just runs crappy and I am not sure what jetting will help that.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #123 - 04/17/16 at 10:41:24

I posted what was in the carb in an earlier post.
I'm pretty sure it is what you said, I just don't know what to do about the washers. And the needle.

Took out the needle
it only had 3 washers. And the e clip
I added a 4th. Cleaned it out. Blew air and carb cleaner in every crevice possible. Going to stick it back on and see how it works

Well it still doesn't run. But the battery is now dead. So ill charge it up and see if it was just to dead

I'm now thinking that it jumped time... Is there a way to check for sure?
Also if it has jumped time how to reset the time?

« Last Edit: 04/17/16 at 17:29:04 by jrobeson18 »  
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #124 - 04/20/16 at 18:52:01

Bump.

Got a carb rebuild kit. Not put it on yet. I took the carb apart again. And inspected everything possible. I see no reason why its not running, besides the nearly dead battery that is charging now. Again... Anyone got any tips for checking timing? I do not have a service manual. Or know where to get one.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #125 - 04/20/16 at 19:25:41

Batteries don't like to be discharged. Are you sure it's still good?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #126 - 04/21/16 at 02:31:55

Not really. I piggy backed it to a bluepoit 1200cca jump box and it turned over and sparks, and sparks with another plug installed. But not running. No combustion at all it seems. Decomp solenoid is working though. Checked fuses all test good

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #127 - 04/21/16 at 12:06:49

Shoot a combustible into the intake.
No joy?
Pull the plug and see if it's fouled.
Twisting the gas was a sure way to keep mine from starting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #128 - 04/21/16 at 13:02:35

She's got spark, and a can of ether didnt do a darn thing. No thump. Found out my charger was done so still no juice.valves do not move when starter is depressed. Just tested that.

Okay, so I pulled the head cover/valve cover, whichever you prefer. Only to find a BROKEN timing CHAIN.
So, anyone know where i can get a chain thats not a rip off. I'll be getting the Verslavy tensioner and headplug as soon as I can afford them.

« Last Edit: 04/21/16 at 14:17:17 by jrobeson18 »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #129 - 04/21/16 at 18:04:17

I'd be taking it apart and checking for damage before I bought parts. Why did it break? I don't remember ever seeing that.
And what damage has been done by the crank, being turned by the starter, stirring that pile of chain?

I'd think about getting the tank off and giving the bike a vigorous shake, then drain the oil into a clean pan. And I would carefully drain that, maybe through a paint strainer, and hunt for bits of anything. Even run a magnet through it, since a steel chain broke.

Eyeball the gears good. If one is burred, smooth it up.
I'd expect a chain to break on the front side and , if everything goes right, fall clear of the crank and not mess anything else up... but,
What's on your side is, with the bike leaning, the chain could fall and not Find the gear teeth again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #130 - 04/21/16 at 18:44:04

J,

Either Verslagen or Lancer are working on obtaining a better cam chain for the forum guys.

Check with them.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #131 - 04/21/16 at 19:39:19

lancer's working on it but I don't think he's had any response from the mfr.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1455475035

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #132 - 04/21/16 at 20:38:01

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 08:13:03:
I can try with pictures again, last attempt didnt work out to well.
He used a screw and its all the way down to the head of the screw on the tube, for pluging the Vac line.  As far as I know he hasn't hany problems out of it before. Just the really Lean pop that they are known for, and his super shorty exhaust didnt help.( his was just under the seat when it stopped. Its now behind the rear axle.

Went outside to try and start it. It started for a 3second period and shut off. Sounds like the starter isn't catching now.  It was very loud and poping

Last post I can see that says the chain is still one piece.

Congratulations on popping a cover and checking out the lifters.
I'm not certain that the chain is gone. For all I know there is a potential failure in the starter drive, that can let it spin and not spin the crank.

Gonna be interesting...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #133 - 04/21/16 at 20:49:22

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/21/16 at 13:02:35:
Okay, so I pulled the head cover/valve cover, whichever you prefer. Only to find a BROKEN timing CHAIN.
So, anyone know where i can get a chain thats not a rip off. I'll be getting the Verslavy tensioner and headplug as soon as I can afford them.

You need to check your valves.
Quote:
Went outside to try and start it. It started for a 3second period and shut off. Sounds like the starter isn't catching now.  It was very loud and poping

If you haven't removed the chain, don't do this again.
and make sure the cam is at TDC with both lobes off the rockers.
Once you have the chain off and the lobes away from the rockers, do a compression test.
This will tell the difference between fixing it and digging a hole.

WWW   IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #134 - 04/22/16 at 03:28:08

The chain is out. It was just sitting up top( the broken end. Chain was on the back of the cam. It apparently fell forward,
Tank is off. No sound when bike is shaken. I'll be tearing it apart to inspect any further damage. Teeth on cam gear look new. Minimal wear.
from what I saw so far and hear. There is no metal grinding or anything moving around in there now.  Do I only need to take off the one cover where the cam chain tensioner is?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 08:58:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › so i locked my rear tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.