Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Send Topic Print
so i locked my rear tire (Read 1274 times)
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: so i locked my rear tire
Reply #105 - 04/13/16 at 10:22:48

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 06:58:17:

"that sounds like too much pilot jet" this is what im confused on... still reading up about this carb and what each part does what.

The mixture screw enriches as you back it out, leans as you 'tighten' it
If the bike runs best with the idle mix screw 3 or more turns OUT,  you need bigger jets
if the bike runs best (or at all) with the idle mix screw all the way SEATED, you'r over jetted
the bike should run best with the screw between 1.5 and 2.5 turns from seated, with the idle set low enough the needle jet isn't in action
once the idle mix is right, you then set the idle back up to 1100 rpm or so

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #106 - 04/13/16 at 10:48:32

jrobeson18 wrote on 04/13/16 at 09:52:24:
ill do the test as soon as it makes it home. probably Friday before I can get it back to the house.

The Choke knob
cold with it out fully starts right up brings idle higher.
warm kills engine.

as far as the enrichment screw. I didn't tighten it to that point, the PO did. I set it back to just barely hitting
all I have to do now is do the draining the float bowl... I think I know how to do that. im sure ive read it already but ill have to go back to be sure...

and the bike isn't rideable wont start. starter just turns and turns and turns. (I do not hold the starter long 3-4 sec period at most.)

Well, Savages do have an automatic compression release for starting.... Undecided Huh If you have no compression, I would guess one way to check it is to try to push start it, if you feel fit enough. If it easily locks the rear wheel on the compression stroke, I think you still have compression, especially in 2nd gear.

About the choke knob... Does it slow down when the knob is out just one click, or does it take more? It sounds like your jetting is not very lean. There may be another problem. First, make sure there's enough gas coming to the float bowl with that test.

As Versy said, get some ether and see if it will fire on that. If not, you are either flooded, or you have a non-fuel-related problem. (I doubt ether will start it flooded, not sure though Undecided).

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #107 - 04/13/16 at 12:11:15

The PO did the rolling start test. It stopped with ease.

Tried the starter today and yesterday. nothing, although now it feels like its catching the gear and the piston is moving

« Last Edit: 04/15/16 at 08:33:38 by jrobeson18 »  
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #108 - 04/15/16 at 13:46:55

Well, I tore into it at work, in the parking lot. And come to find out I have what me and the mechanics where I work call a very weak spark, ill be ordering a coil for it soon. Also with the raptor fuel petcock in the on/res position. Very minimal fuel is getting into the combustion chamber. Tested that with gas/ether.any tips for tearing into the carb to clean it? Jet, float and all.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #109 - 04/15/16 at 18:41:16

Hmmm... These bikes don't have a lot of electrical problems. A weak battery can cause issues. Are you saying you got it to fire with ether or not?

As for cleaning, if you feel like tearing every piece apart and getting out every trace of rubber and plastic out, you could set it in a can of carburetor dip.

Or, you could take it off and get some carb cleaner or something and spray it through the orifices. We'll wait and see what the others think. Undecided

There's not a huge amount of things to go wrong with these carbs, are there? Undecided Did you check your slide diaphragm for pinholes? These carbs don't seem that delicate. My bike isn't very delicate. It just runs. Wink Did you check the flow to the float bowl like I said? Does this happen intermittently followed by good running? Could the float be sticking closed? Time/measure your fuel flow before you tear into the carb. It's easier. There's a little drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl. Simple. The two inconveniences are the possibility of a sticky screw and managing to get something in there to catch the gas with. If you have a little tube, you  may be able to fit it on the drain.

Oh, and kudos to Dave for coming up with these ideas.   Smiley

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #110 - 04/15/16 at 19:32:58

I'll be doing the rest of that stuff when I get it back to my house, my work place doesn't like anyone working on things in the parking lot. But I haven't messed with the carb to much. It did try to fire with the ether. It did not run. Also I think my decompression solenoid is going bad. It only moved when it is tapped. When using the starter, very new to this system dont really know how its supposed to work. Other than that the carb stuff should be tomorrow when I get it at the house
Also for future reference, I still barely know what jets areSmiley listing carb part is useless with out a diagram currently. I've been looking to find one, vut I have bought a carb rebuild kit hopefully it'll be the right jetts and all that good stuff.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #111 - 04/15/16 at 20:48:16

The jets are just small chunks of brass with a specific size hole drilled in them. The larger the hole, the more fuel that flows through them. Your BBQ grill has the same thing only they're called orifices.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #112 - 04/16/16 at 06:09:06

Haha. Sounds good.

Great, now I'm hungry.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #113 - 04/16/16 at 11:47:51

Tested fuel flow from the bottom of the carb. Its about a cup per minute.

IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,
how can i lose?

Charlotte NC
Reply #114 - 04/16/16 at 12:58:39

Carb

IMAG00383.jpg
  IP Logged
jrobeson18

Jeep and a Suzuki,