Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will not start....ideas? (Read 44 times)
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Will not start....ideas?
03/22/16 at 14:06:59

Hey guys,

So last year I had some issues with my bike.

I could get it to start but after a short amount of time, it would sputter and cut out.  Sometimes, I was able to grab a fist full of throttle and get it to come back, sometimes not.... that is.... until the last time.  It completely cut out and I needed a tow.  I was unable to get it to start at all.  It turns over, lights come on, is getting fuel, has compression, but I am not so certain it is getting spark. I tried pulling the plug and grounding it but no spark. (The plug is new with only 1500 miles on it and is intact with no rounding or anything). I pulled the coil and did a continuity test on it and I have full continuity between the points and also between both points and plug connection.  (Not sure if this means anything more than the fact that everything is internally intact and connected).

As far as modifications go, I built the Ryca kit.  I modified the carb by only putting in the white spacers.  Took it apart and gave it a full cleaning.  Other than that, the only other electrical mods I have are a load balancer on each blinkers circuit and LED blinkers in the handlebars.

So far, the bike has a strong crank, all lights come on, as I mentioned, and fuel is getting to the carb.  Pressure in both the cylinder as felt at the plug hole and on the exhaust.  Battery is brand new and main fuse was changed out.

Where do I go from here?  Anyone have thoughts or ideas where to turn to next?  This thing is my baby and I can't wait to get it back out on the road!!!!

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Will not start....ideas?
Reply #1 - 03/22/16 at 14:13:46

You need 3 things for a fire (combustion): fuel (gas), heat (spark), and air (well...the air). Figure out which one is missing. If you cannot guarantee the plug is good, try that first. I have purchased new plugs that fouled out in a few hours...anything man made can and will fail at some point...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/22/16 at 14:18:40

Thanks for the quick reply Stewmills!!!

Yeah, that was the line I was chasing is trying to figure out what's missing..... Air, fuel, heat.  Basically the fire triangle which seems to relate to combustion engines as well!

I never thought about a fouled plug.  So cheap to replace too!  Has anyone stuck a screwdriver in the plug rubber and tried grounding it to see if it sparks? When I tried that, I didn't get any spark against the cylinder heads from the screwdriver.  I know that works on my V-twin.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 03/22/16 at 14:25:32

I've never done that screwdriver trick.

Make sure when you remove the plug that you blow out the holee first to clear debris from falling into the cylinder!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/22/16 at 14:41:32

Philmh wrote on 03/22/16 at 14:06:59:
So last year I had some issues with my bike.

So you haven't started it since then?
Quote:
I could get it to start but after a short amount of time, it would sputter and cut out.  Sometimes, I was able to grab a fist full of throttle and get it to come back,

Hard starting can be too rich, are trying it with choke?. [/quote]

WWW   IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/22/16 at 14:56:26

Stewmills. Thanks again!

Verslagen:  No, It was towards the end of last season and I worked on it a bit but it got cold quick here.  Other than winterizing it, I didn't do much to troubleshooting it.  I did take a look at the simple things such as air and fuel.  The carb is taking in air, the fuel is getting to the carb.  All jets and needles are cleaned out and replaced properly.  Fuel seems to be getting into the cylinder.  Where I think the troubleshooting leads me to is now electrical.  But then again, I am not certain.

Usually, I start it with the choke pulled out and it fires up pretty quickly, at least the first crank or two.  If it doesn't start the first try or two, I usually don't need the choke beyond the first few cranks and it fires up with little effort beyond that.

Usually, I would get it running, seemingly very smoothly.  It wouldn't cut out until I was out riding and usually within a half hour of running it and a few miles from home!  After the last time it cut out, I could not get it to restart at all.

(As light as it is, man is that bike hard to push uphill!)

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 03/22/16 at 18:10:59

couple of quick thoughts.

petcock diaphragm could be stiff and dried out not opening and allowing sufficient fuel.
vacuum line could have a leak not allowing enough opening of the diaphragm to supply sufficient fuel.

or...are you using old, crappy fuel?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/23/16 at 03:43:20

Have you checked the voltage of your battery?

The battery can have enough power to run the lights and starter - but still not have a high enough voltage to trigger the ignition circuit and make a spark.

And the running problems you described on your last ride....could well have been voltage problems that caused the ignition circuit to work poorly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:15:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Will not start....ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.