Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Looking for a Savage/S40 (Read 312 times)
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Looking for a Savage/S40
03/22/16 at 10:38:46

Folks, I am a new member so please take it easy on me.

I am looking at S40 for weekend jaunts and very occasional commute too. I have seen issues related to cam chain/as well as tensioner and also a mod done by verslagen1.

My question is, are there any specific mode/years which do not have that problem? If I go and look at a specific S40, what things I should be paying attention to? Any specific mile which should be considered a mileage threshold?

Any other input or help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Looking for a Savage/S40
Reply #1 - 03/22/16 at 10:58:31

Welcome to the site.....we are generally "Noob friendly".

I suppose you should look for a 5 speed model (1993 and later), as it has modifications to the starter gear that can prevent the case from being broken if the engine kicks backward after the ignition is turned off.  Later improvements that can be nice are the 4 way flashers and headlight passing switch that were added in 2004.  In some respects the newer bike you can afford the better, as the rubber parts will not be as old - however a well cared for older model may be better than an abused newer model.

The oil leak from the head plug, cam chain tensioner and vacuum petcock are common problems to all years.

If you can find a bike that is well cared for, stored indoors, and not abused....the year really doesn't matter as long as it is 93 or newer.  Some folks like the looks of the older 2 piece seats...others like the single piece seat.  The sissy bar was removed somewhere around 2004 or 2005 - but it can be added to a newer bike without much drama.  Bikes stored outdoors are subject to corrosion problems that are mostly cosmetic - the clear coat on the aluminum does not hold up well, and the spokes tarnish easily.

Happy Hunting........you might try Tempest Craigslist to search for a bike.  This allows you to look outside of your immediate area.  I live in KY and bought a bike in New York....it only had 262 miles on it and was worth the drive to go get it.

Where do you live.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/22/16 at 11:09:19

Thanks so much Dave, I appreciate it.

Makes perfect sense, I should be looking at anything after 2004. What about any mileage limit?

I am looking at few of these right now:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/5462736739.html
http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/5474479077.html
http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5470690266.html
http://williamsport.craigslist.org/mcy/5457657216.html

Is there anyone which you guys would recommend or better than the other?

Thanks

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/22/16 at 11:11:23

Thanks for the advice and suggestion. That's what I tried too, I am in Washington, DC area. Not core DC, but a suburb.

Looking forward to your input and advice. Thank you  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/22/16 at 11:29:52

Those bikes all look pretty good....it would be hard to choose between them without going to look and ride.  I would also look at the cylinder head....if you see goopy RTV on there you know somebody was in their to fix the head plug leak.  I would also ask them what kind of oil they have been using....anyone of them could have cam/rocker problems if they were using an oil without enough ZDDP.

Once you reach 10,000 miles...you are going to want to take the clutch side engine cover off to check the cam tensioner....so you can decide if you need to install a Verslagen modified tensioner...or if you cant wait for a while.

It always scares me when I see this kind of work done on a bike.  A good mechanic doesn't leave behind this kind of evidence that the engine has been worked on.  The factory sealant is neat and tidy....not big beads of orange goo!

headsealplug-032_001.jpg

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/22/16 at 11:39:11

Thanks, I appreciate it. What about the prices? Do they seem fair to you?

Great tip about cylinder head, any other things I be looking at or paying attention to? Yeah, I am going to ask about kind of oil being used.

Yeah, crappy work means crappy bike( not always true though Cheesy).

In terms of miles, with proper maintenance and oil changes-What can one expect in terms of getting maximum miles out of S40? Of course, just a general idea and not trying to start a fight about it  Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 03/22/16 at 11:48:33

The second photo down of the white and silver one has a lot of blue on the exhaust, maybe it's been ridden very hard or it may have been run low on oil.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/22/16 at 11:54:11

jcstokes wrote on 03/22/16 at 11:48:33:
The second photo down of the white and silver one has a lot of blue on the exhaust, maybe it's been ridden very hard or it may have been run low on oil.

You guys are GURUS, does blue on the exhaust means motorcycle has bee beat up or ridden hard?

Then this one seems to be the best option since one does not have any pictures:
http://williamsport.craigslist.org/mcy/5457657216.html

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/22/16 at 12:08:33

That black one does have bags and a windshield, which is nice if you like them.  And it does have low mileage. - but I kinda like the white or white and silver colors.  To some folks color doesn't matter a bit - it does matter to me what color my bike or car is (red is my color of choice).

The blue on the pipe is not always a problem - some bikes turn blue and some don't.....however it can be an indicator of somebody that likes to let the bike sit and idle for long periods of time....or rides on the interstate a lot.  Fuel mixture can affect how likely the pipe is to turn blue.  My bike never turns the pipe blue....but I don't let the bike idle much and I seldom ride for extended periods at speeds over 60mph.  Serowbot doesn't abuse his bike....but he rides in western desert heat and his pipe is beyond blue.

IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/22/16 at 12:46:57

Thanks again Dave.

Mileage on Black is really low, but it's sitting on original tires(which need to be replaced).

I like White and Silver color too, looks pretty good Grin

As per owner, he let the bike idle for 10-15 before taking off and also blue color has increased since he has acquired the bike(4 years ago).

He doesn't ride on interstate, I have asked him about engine oil and will get back to me on it. Are there any engine oils which are a clear 'NO' for the bike? Not starting an oil thread, please!

So blue is not a true indicator of a bad bike, is that right?

Thanks guys  Cool

P.S: Are 8600 miles a lot for an 09 or?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/22/16 at 15:11:04

People who
Let it idle fifteen minutes
Do so on the sidestand. That robs the cam of oil.
Wouldn't buy it without pulling the tank, pulling the valve cover, and inspecting.

Who lets the mower run fifteen minutes before cutting grass?
Car?
What's wrong with people,,,,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/22/16 at 15:13:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/16 at 15:11:04:
People who
Let it idle fifteen minutes
Do so on the sidestand. That robs the cam of oil.
Wouldn't buy it without pulling the tank, pulling the valve cover, and inspecting.

Who lets the mower run fifteen minutes before cutting grass?
Car?
What's wrong with people,,,,,,

So he is using 'valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle specific oil'. Never adjusted any valves, never replaced any brake fluid or air filter.

How much should I be offering him in current condition?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 03/22/16 at 16:15:48

JOG's point is  very valid, modern engines don't need warming up and certainly not for ten plus minutes. If you like the white and silver one, find out what you can about any maintenance and possibly who did it. If you ride any S40 on the original IRC tyres you will find they get skittish on uneven black top and this gets worse in the wet.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/22/16 at 16:23:34

Unless you Know what shape the cam is in, I would not be able to recommend a price. There is no oil on the market that can compensate for a major part being starved for oil. The Savage has low oil pressure at idle. Dave bought a bike that he had to replace top end parts on. The previous owner tenderly and lovingly allowed it to warm up before riding. The cam lobe and rocker on the right side were ruined. Coincidence?
Check out the valve lash, at least. Snot hard. Tedious, but not really mechanically challenging. We can walk you through it.

Well, the Other guys here can. My job is to stir up trouble and give the newbies a bad time.

Folks, I am a new member so please take it easy on me.

Bwaahaahaahaa!

Seriously, you're in good hands here.

Seriously.
I mean that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
maverickfhs

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/22/16 at 16:27:13

I truly appreciate it.  What price would be good for this one:

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/5474479077.html

Of course a ball park based on my message above?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:26:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Looking for a Savage/S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.