Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ammo bad? fill me in ... (Read 119 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Ammo bad? fill me in ...
Reply #15 - 03/26/16 at 15:53:14

A loose slug in a case will cause all types of accuracy problems even in a .22. You won't get reliable and consistant chamber pressures which leads to all type of accuracy problems.
 Been reloading for center fire rifles using "mouse fart" plinker loads and have found the neck tension is one of the main factors getting on target.
 I have used Remington .22 bulk in my Marlin model 60 and other .22 rifles and have found that is dirty and gives a vertical 3 inch oval at 50 yds. It's fun to shoot but for hunting I would go for something better like CCI. Don't hunt any more so I just enjoy blasting at the range.  
 My center fire plinkers cost less than a .22 round but take time at the reloading bench so it's a wash between the two. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #16 - 03/27/16 at 14:13:53

Well, I have noticed that they are dirtier than the CCI rounds I had at first.
But down in this area, with 3 air force bases and a navy base, it is kind of hard to get ammo.

Walmart is the preferred place because it is the cheapest, but during this ammo craze thing, there are a lot of "tin hat" types that are dedicated in buying up ALL the .22 stuff they can find.

The ammo I bought, I got in Illinois at a farm supply store, they had literally TONS of ammo out on the shelves, of all different brands, from Russian crap stuff to good quality high priced stuff.

I have been raised around guns and hunting, and back in the day I don't think I ever ran across stuff like this. I guess in this day and age of quantity not quality, there is going to be a lot of searching for me to find the right ammo for my usage.

Heck I paid $35 for 25 rounds of  .380 hollow points for our home defense, because I researched and thought it would be the best for my use....
But I would like my practice rounds to at least be "snug" in the casing.
What would happen if the tip tilted and jammed? would the firing pin have enough room to come out and still hit the casing and cause a blow out?
I purchased a "banana" style double clip and was hoping to use it at the ranges a lot, but not being able to rapid fire, will stint my practice a bit.

I plan to be really careful using this ammo, if I use it at all, and now I have to search around to find me some .22 cal stuff that will suit me... LOL getting picky I guess.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #17 - 03/27/16 at 16:24:06

Don't think the gun would fire with a misfeed, at least non of mine have with a jammed round in the chamber and I've shot some pretty funky old ammo in my .22's. I would shoot the stuff and wear safety glasses.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:23:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ammo bad? fill me in ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.