Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surprising Oil Leak (Read 136 times)
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Surprising Oil Leak
03/21/16 at 12:58:35

Hey everyone! I wanted to get your input on a problem I had today. While riding home this afternoon I felt some unusual heat on my ankle and foot. When I Glace down I realized it had been splattered with oil. When I got home I took a look at everything and oil was everywhere.

It appears the oil is came from underneath the headcover but sure. I've attached pics and you can see where the oil is and where it looks like it "pooled" in what appears to be an airport in the head (not sure that's what it's called). Any ideas what it might be? Could it be the headplug failing or possibly a lead head bolt?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Surprising Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 03/21/16 at 13:09:19

You're going to have to pull those chrome head covers to find out,.. but, a leak that big, that sudden... I would guess it's your crankcase breather hose...
If so,.. that would be good... just replace the hose...

Good luck... show us a pic with the covers removed...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/21/16 at 13:52:00

I just removed the chrome covers and everything is clean on the head and around the crankcase breather hose. Didn't think it warranted a picture.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/21/16 at 13:57:49

If it's clean on top then it's the head plug.
check in front on the left side of the header, you'll see a hole.
on the bottom is a head bolt, above it is a hole that can leak oil.
if the nut is covered in oil then that is it.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #4 - 03/21/16 at 20:38:06

Look higher.... stick your finger on the speedo cable under your tank....

Mine has a problem with what everyone calls "wicking"... much like an oil lamp wick sucks the oil up the wick to burn.

It happens when I go 65 mph or faster for more than about 3 to 5 minutes.

I have gone so far as to use a small clamp and even tape to attempt to keep it from "leaking"....  it seems to keep doing it though... I still think it has something to do with the increased pressure in the crank... even though all my lines are clear.

I have yet to figure out how to stop mine... other than to keep it at 65mph or lower Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #5 - 03/21/16 at 20:43:31

check this bolt/nut by the exhaust

IMG_0430_copy_001.jpg

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/22/16 at 08:40:43

I checked the speedo cable when I removed the tank. The bolt by the exhaust it dry because I retorqued it about a week ago and applied some sealant. The leak appears to definitely come from under the headcover. I tried looking around the cylinder head gasket to see if that might be ut but there is alot of excess oil all over the fins. Looks like I'm gonna have to take the headcover off.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/22/16 at 08:55:00

there are 3 bolts up top that require a sealing washer.
also the valve inspection covers will leak if the oring has gone flat.

looks like it time for...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953

WWW   IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/22/16 at 09:02:28

That it does Versy! I just this second pulled a flashlight out and looked at the bolt up to the left of the exhaust and it's covered in oil. Looks like its time to breakdown and remove the headcover. I'm very thankful now that I got your headplug since now I have no choice but to replace it Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/22/16 at 11:27:32

If, while you're in there , you decide to pull the spark plug, make sure there is no sand or gritty stuff to fall in.
Now is a good time to modify the right side cover of to swing away, and give access to the plug, without having to pull the tank. If you do pull the tank, prepare a place to set it down and not bend the speedo cable too sharply. Both hands full of precious painted metal that you can't set down is unfunny.
A  rag on the tank while handling the tools to remove it is not a bad idea. Getting the stock petcock to clear the frame is often a hassle, some have declared it impossible and drained the tank and removed the petcock . If I pulled it off, I'd be putting the Raptor in. And, you're probably gonna, at best, scrape frame paint off. I was able to get the tank off by lifting the back end until the petcock hit, then slapping the tank to force it over as I lifted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/22/16 at 12:45:45

Thanks for the advice Justin. I've already done the right side cover swing away mod and have already changed out the stock petcock for a raptor. Gonna print out the headbolt bolt template and get started. In all reality this couldn't have come at a better time...gonna be painting the tank and fenders and start the bobber process.

IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/22/16 at 19:07:54

So I got the headcover removed this evening...with the help of my 4 year old. The oil plug/cap was covered and submerged in oil. When I went to go remove it its like the plug was 10 times smaller and it came out like nothing. It's gotta be where my oil was coming from.

I replaced it with a verslavy and will do a complete oil change and torque the headcover bolts down. Before I do an oil change I'm gonna check the tensioner as I'm sure the bikes previous rider was rough on it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/23/16 at 03:48:40

Be very careful with the head cover bolts.  They are only 6mm and they thread into aluminum....they can easily be stripped if you use too much force.

You can't use a 150 lb click type torque wrench on them....the wrench just won't click at those low settings.  If you don't have a inch/lb torque wrench....see if you can borrow or rent one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/23/16 at 04:26:37

Thanks for the advice Dave. Torquing down the bolts is one thing I've dreaded because I don't want to deal with snapping one off. I did notice that when I was removing the bolts there was a lot of "grinding" as if the threads weren't playing right...not to mention some of the aluminum threads were filled with oil.

On another note...the headcover is absolutely disgusting can I use carb and parts cleaner to clean it off?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/23/16 at 04:57:30

The right rear bolt that is 130mm long has the oil supply port for the cylinder head surrounding it.....so it will be bathed in oil.

You can clean the cylinder head with any kind of solvent - Purple Power, Simple Green and any of those kind of degreasers, a stiff parts cleaning brush and some elbow grease does wonders.  I also use a pressure washer to help....you can screw the head cover to a piece of plywood or board to keep from blowing it away.  The head is powder coated silver or black (depending on the year), so don't use any harsh solvents or really intense pressure washer spray.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:25:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Surprising Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.