Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soldering Gun Kit - What's your advice? (Read 50 times)
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Soldering Gun Kit - What's your advice?
03/20/16 at 20:58:58

I'm looking to buy a Soldering gun to do work mainly on my bike, but since I have very little tools I was wondering if going for a decent gun kit will be best other than the simple pen looking one.

What do you guys recommend? I don't want to over kill but I also dont want to go with a 3.99 thing.

This looks cool but is there something better out there for about the same price ro less?
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-8200PKS-120-volt-Universal-Soldering/dp/B002YDMZ...

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Soldering Gun Kit - What's your advice?
Reply #1 - 03/20/16 at 21:16:31

Kruzader,

I have had one of the Weller gun Kits as shown for at least 40 years and you don't need one nearly that good for working on bikes.

The soldering iron that I use most often on bikes is the little Weller SP23L.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00018AR4A/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i1_r?ie=UTF8&...

When you want to try to remove carburetor screws that have thread locker on them just clean the solder off of the tip with sand paper and you can use it to melt the thread locker. Make sure there is no gasoline in the carb before using the soldering iron. This is a job for on the bench not when the carb is on the bike.

It works great for soldering wires.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #2 - 03/20/16 at 22:42:17

Kenny!

What's up brother?

Thanks for the reply, I have my bike and wires sitting in the garage. The previous owner had replaced the light before me cus I found a poor soldering and electrical tape surprise.

I have family coming over for easter, so I think im going to pick one up at the local harbor freight or sears tomorrow. Similar to what you recommended.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-soldering-iron-45-watt/p-00954042000P?sid=IDx0...

Screen_Shot_2016-03-20_at_9_49_20_PM.png

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/20/16 at 23:32:52

Kruzader,

The one from Sears should do the job. You will need a small roll of Radio & TV Solder and an assortment of shrink tubing.

I usually use my wife's hair dryer for the shrink tubing. Put a piece of cardboard behind the shrink tubing when using the hair dryer to keep the heat isolated where you need it. If you have a heat gun that is even better.

There is nothing less expensive than using electrical tape to cover the bare wires after soldering them.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 03/21/16 at 02:32:40

Kruzader wrote on 03/20/16 at 20:58:58:
I'm looking to buy a Soldering gun...
This looks cool but is there something better out there for about the same price or less?
http://www.amazon.com/Weller-8200PKS-120-volt-Universal-Soldering/dp/B002YDMZ...

I got one that looks similar, but higher wattage, for less than half the cost -- http://www.harborfreight.com/180-watt-industrial-soldering-gun-60765.html -- excellent for soldering wires on the bike, works on small stuff if you keep off the trigger.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/21/16 at 04:22:43

I think I paid more for my Weller in about 78. It's melted pounds of solder.
A 30/15 watt pencil and a work station with a sponge for small work.
A butane power mini torch is really handy. Mine has a catalytic end that does heat shrink, handy, when it is somewhere the cigarette lighter shouldn't be.
The thing will solder with the tip, or, without, because the flame is small enough for quite a few jobs.
Like hammers, no one soldering tool is the answer, but That Weller is where I started. I've had mine almost forty years.
I doubt todays product is quite as hardy. I hope it is.
The shape and housing material are different.

You get to the time when everything looks good and feels right but it's just not getting hot, check the nuts on the tip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/21/16 at 07:15:56

I have a soldering gun....I don't use it much.  It takes a minute or so to get up to temperature and melt solder, and you have to be somewhere that you can plug it in....and then when you set it down you have to be careful not to touch the hot part on anything.

I use a small Butane torch for doing wiring.  You can use it to solder wiring joints, solder on terminals, and apply heat shrink tubing.

The first one I got (and still have) is this one.  It worked OK and I used it for years - but was a bit finicky and if the weather was cold it didn't like to run....you had to keep it in your pants pocket to keep it warm enough to work.

The next one I got is much nicer, and even has a soldering tip if you choose to use it (but the warmup period keeps me from using it).  It works much better than the cheap one.

Both of them are self lighting.  Buy a small tube of flux, a roll of small diameter solder, and a selection of heat shrink tubing.....and "Bob's your Uncle"!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/21/16 at 14:42:11

And if you unscrew the tip and flip the top button after a second of just fire, the catalytic thing there will do heat shrink.
I don't solder with the tip, either, unless it's away from electric power. And the flame is a bad idea or it's windy.
I spent about forty bucks for mine. Solder tip shape is different.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:23:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Soldering Gun Kit - What's your advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.