Send Topic Print
Hi all! (Read 82 times)
mister44
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hi all!
03/20/16 at 02:22:04

Hey everyone, new to the forum and just picked up a 2009 Savage. Really stoked to start riding and learning from everyone's knowledge and expertise. Hope to get to know you all soon!

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Hi all!
Reply #1 - 03/20/16 at 07:15:35

Welcome, Mr. 44!

I joined back in Dec when I bought a new S40. The Savage/S40 has been around for 30 years with few changes, so the "old timers" here have pretty much seen & done it all. TONS of good info, especially if, like me, you plan to do most or all of your own maintenance/repair work.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/20/16 at 10:34:05

HOWDY HOWDY 44 & Rodger !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/20/16 at 13:49:49

Rodger wrote on 03/20/16 at 07:15:35:
Welcome, Mr. 44!

I joined back in Dec when I bought a new S40. The Savage/S40 has been around for 30 years with few changes, so the "old timers" here have pretty much seen & done it all. TONS of good info, especially if, like me, you plan to do most or all of your own maintenance/repair work.

"old timers"

Easy there ,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 03/20/16 at 14:00:18

In my experience, most of the members here have more than a few gray hairs!  Grin

Welcome!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 03/20/16 at 20:05:38

Welcome Mr.44

You couldn't have picked a better bike !  

I'm on my second one now , kinda tore the other one up when I put a 95mm high done piston in then inadvertently filled it up with Diesel fuel.   It ran but smoked and warped the head before I got back to the shop.   I'm leaving #2 stock !  Wink and now idle at 1000-1200 rpm .  

The cam-chain adjuster is the only weakness and we figured out the cure a-long-time-ago .   Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 03/20/16 at 21:01:10

How'd you manage to fill it with diesel?  Shocked

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
mister44
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/21/16 at 00:20:20

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Looking forward to getting to know y'all! Trying to surf through the threads to get some ideas...

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 03/21/16 at 00:44:59

Hi mister. You chose a great bike.

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/21/16 at 07:48:19

@JOG......

Grin...At 58 yrs, 43 of them riding/wrenching bikes, (& enough gray hair to knit a sweater) guess I'm an "Old Timer" in general AND a Savage Noob...lol

Ummmm...would "Mature, Vastly Experienced Thumper Guru's" be more palatable?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/21/16 at 07:52:15

Yeah, that'd be great, but, the mirror will bring me back to reality, so, no reason to tax your typing muscles for a few minutes of me dodging the truth. But I really appreciate the offer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/21/16 at 08:27:42

Kris01 wrote on 03/20/16 at 21:01:10:
How'd you manage to fill it with diesel?  Shocked

My guess would be, like all Ranchers, he keeps barrels of fuel around for his farm equipment, and uses it in his vehicles too
Likely the barrels aren't marked very well
Get in a hurry and...Ooops

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 03/21/16 at 09:07:13

How'd you manage to fill it with diesel?

Art you pery much nailed it !  Roll Eyes

Red diesel and red gas look a lot alike ... I have improved my " FUEL JUG "  system since then  Wink .

It was a little hard to start but sometime Re-assembled engines  are .  

Up the driveway (1/4 miles or so ) I went , then at the turn-around-spot I saw the smoke trail I'd left  Huh.  It didn't want to rev past 3000 or so even being held wide open ! Undecided

come to find out "Gas cools things as it goes in - Diesel doesn't) , by time I got back to the shop things were HOT !! Lips Sealed  
I tried different head gasket materials but it needed shaving to level it back up - and compression was already kinda high .   We had a ride coming up and my bike was still blowing oil around the head-gasket area ???  Huh  Embarrassed   Tongue   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   --  I just got another one off ebay and switched my stuff I made for the first one over to the second .   Everybody needs a parts bike right !  Wink   No , I went three years and never needed anything , so I sold it (cheap) to a young feller who wanted to see how high compression a Savage will go.  I did tell him , "I'll buy it back for the same price , if you ever think it was't a good deal" .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:31:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Hi all!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.