stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
license plate bracket
03/19/16 at 07:56:48

I am getting ready to relocate my rear turn signals to the license plate bracket. was planning to just use aluminum to essentially make a bracket like those they sell for $20. what bothers me is that the height of stock plate bracket sits low and my signals will be the height of the top of the plate. it looks too low for good visibility i think, or am i being too critical because at a small distance everything is visible?

is there an aftermarket plate holder that sits higher that doesn't eliminate the license plate lights and reflector?  i thought about fabricating my own bracket that eliminated the license plate lights and reflector to bring the plate and subsequently rear signals up higher but i do like the license plate lights and reflector for the additional visibility at night.

thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

on a side note, i will be rewiring the rear signals as both running and brake lights for a bit of added visibilityvat night. yes, i have red ones so it will be legal.  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Re: license plate bracket
Reply #1 - 03/20/16 at 22:13:09

Haven't seen one around but maybe dimecitycycles.com or ryca might have one that you can work with.

On a note, do you have the original rear turn signals available

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 03/21/16 at 09:39:08

Thanks.  I've looked around and may end up leaving it as is and just putting the new ones aside the plate as initially thought.

I did find this post from apache snow-FSOand may look into making a bracket as he did. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1365365417

About my stock signals, I'll probably keep them. Will be good replacements for the front if I ever need them or if I need to return the bike back to stock for any reason.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/22/16 at 01:49:12

Mine are at the sides on my plate and are quite visible.  I think you shouldn't worry about it.  In fact, I like it better than the stock location because both signals are in the onlookers frame of vision from more viewing angles.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 03/22/16 at 08:50:36

Thanks chzeckmate.

I got these (mentioned by another member here that had them and I liked the look) and will use them in place of the stock: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Bullet-Turn-Signal-Dual-Filament-Bulb-Chopper-...

I will use the red lenses and wire for both running lights as well as turn signals. They are a bit smaller than the stock ones, but so long as I have my primary stop light I think I will be ok with these smaller ones.  I may look into getting some LED bulbs to see if they are any brighter.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/22/16 at 09:15:30

Stew:

I looked at those lights you posted.....and although the bulb is oriented in the proper directions - there is no reflector to focus the light out of the housing.  I am guessing the lights aren't going to be very bright.  (You should hook them up to a battery in the daylight, then walk away a couple hundred feet and see if you can see them clearly....just like you want an approaching car to be able to see them).  M experience with plug in LED bulbs....is that they are not as bright as the filament bulbs.

I know I sound like a broken record at times over these inexpensive and small Chinese built (non-DOT approved) lights - but I do want you guys to be as safe as possible and not get crashed into by somebody that could not see your turn signal flashing.

(The sport bike guys are really bad about this....they take off really nice turn signal and brake lights - and put on cheap LED stuff that is barely visible at night....and invisible in daylight).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 03/22/16 at 10:05:17

Valid point Dave.  I looked and looked for dual filament signals with red lenses that were bigger and less than $100 and kept coming up with nothing, so this was worth the price for me to get them and see what they looked like.  Worst case, I'll hook them up to the 4 wheeler   Smiley

If these don't turn out to be a "good choice", do you have ideas of other similar rear dual filament lights out there with red lenses that are bigger and most likely brighter than these little guys?

I will test them out and post a pic or something for comparison.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 03/22/16 at 11:30:42

Ok...got a couple of pics at lunch.  

Here's the lights in "running" mode. Note the new light temporarily taped to the left of the reflector. I captured the pic with the stock left "blinker" on and the right one off for full comparison.

running.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 03/22/16 at 11:31:37

Here's the same set-up with the brake engaged. Note the stock and new light are brighter.

brake.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/22/16 at 11:38:41

In those photos they appear visible.  Cameras don't operate the same way your eyes do.....and I suspect you had to be pretty close to get those photos.  You need to use your eyes to make a judgement about how effective the lights are going to be in "real world" conditions.....the distracted soccer mom barreling down the road to get her screaming kids to practice!

Take the same photo with the sunlight hitting the lights.....like they would be when you are riding away from the sun in morning or evening conditions.....that is when the lights are really being put to the test.

I have been on a few group rides with folks who had small turns signals, and they were really ineffective...you just couldn't see them when the sun was shining on them.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 03/22/16 at 12:39:12

Yep Dave, I can't say I agree more.

The way I am trying to think about it (right or wrong) is that I already have a STOP light, so adding these as additional STOP lights is a win-win.

Now, as far as the turn signal goes that may be a different story.  If I am turning against oncoming traffic the front signals are stock and take care of that. The rear are for those behind me, etc. and if they can't see my signal they may not yield to me if I am changing lanes or easing into a turning lane, etc.

I'd definitely go for some bigger running/stopping lights if I can find the right ones versus using the stock "blinkers" if I can find some larger dual filament/red ones at a reasonable price.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/23/16 at 04:29:22

This will be my last "rant" on your thread......I really want you (and the other riders) to be safe.

You very often use your turn signal long before you ever hit your brakes and turn the brake light on.  The Savage has a good deal of compression braking, and often you can just roll off the throttle before you get to the intersection where you are going to turn.  You also may never use your brakes when changing lanes or pulling out to pass a slower car......and if somebody doesn't know you are pulling out to pass as they can't see your signal.....they may attempt to pass you both at the same instant you decide to change lanes to pass.  In my opinion.....having bright, visible turn signals is very important to your safety.

You might also look on eBay to find take-off turn signals from OEM bikes that are DOT approved.  I am not aware of which bikes use red running/turn signal lights on the back.

I also believe that somebody was able to find clear lenses for the Savage Turn signals.  If so....you could use a pair of front turn signal housings from a Savage that have the running/turn signal bulbs.....and use red 1157 bulbs in the housings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-S-DOT-Turn-Signal-Lens-Clear-Front-Rear-for-Suzuki-...

This is the brightest 1157 LED bulb I can find - but it is a bit ovesize:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-can-bus-led-bul...

This one is the stock size - but is almost half the output:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-f...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 03/25/16 at 13:26:44

Just a thought...and forgive my crude copy and paste...didn't have time for a nice photoshop rendition.

Why can't I use the stock rear signals and just relocate them to the read fender? Of course it would require me drilling a hole in the fender, but why not? It keeps them up higher?

s40_05.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/25/16 at 17:38:12

Stew,

That should work fine.

You might want to consider getting some fender washers (large diameter washers) to reinforce the fender where you drill the hole for the relocated turn signals.

Kenny G

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 03/26/16 at 18:27:15

Now why would I want to usexa fender washer in my fender?  Wink  Wink Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:24:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › license plate bracket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.