Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Upper cylinder lubricant. (Read 326 times)
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Upper cylinder lubricant.
03/18/16 at 17:42:41

Has anybody got any thoughts on "upper cylinder' lubricant.
Years ago in England we used to put a small amount of oil in the gas tank to supposedly lubricate the valve guides a bit and of course the carb.

With the ethanol we are forced to put in the gas tanks a bit of oil might not be a bad thing? If nothing else it might protect the metal parts inside the carb from corrosion.
The product we used was called Redex if I recall correctly. Undecided

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Upper cylinder lubricant.
Reply #1 - 03/18/16 at 18:06:10

I sure don't have a problem with the idea. Can't think of the name of it,but my gramps used to dump some reddish oil in his carburetor and the gas when the lifters would clatter.
I don't think a shot of diesel would hurt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/18/16 at 18:15:39

The E10 really isn't harmful from a lubrication point of view.  It is hard on rubber, steel and aluminum parts when the engine is in storage, as it can dissolve rubber and corrode or rust metal parts.

New fuels are very clean when running, and there really isn't a need to add anything to the fuel.....as long as the fuel is kept fresh and the engine is run regularly.

I do add Sta-Bil fogging oil to my engines before they go into storage for the winter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/18/16 at 18:29:46

I remember old guys doing that in the early 1950's but had totally forgotten about it until reading your post.  I think it went out of practice for a several reasons, one the auto makers said it didn't help and the oil tended to foul the plugs.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/18/16 at 18:37:08

Maybe gramps just hadn't yet adopted the whole
Use multigrade oil
idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/18/16 at 19:11:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 18:06:10:
my gramps used to dump some reddish oil in his carburetor and the gas when the lifters would clatter.

It's an old trick to use a little transmission fluid in the gas to clean/lube the engine. It'll smoke like a chimney for a little while though.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #6 - 03/18/16 at 19:26:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 18:06:10:
I sure don't have a problem with the idea. Can't think of the name of it,but my gramps used to dump some reddish oil in his carburetor and the gas when the lifters would clatter.
I don't think a shot of diesel would hurt.

It's "Marvel Oil", and you can still find it in the red cans/bottles at some parts stores. I used it in my Packard(s) as a top end lube in the gas AND to free up the old engines that had sit for a couple of years.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 03/18/16 at 19:42:51

I do remember on two strokes ????? that the carbs were always in much better condition than four stroke engines. The Amal on my old BSA B31 would have done much better with a bit of lube in there.

Plug fouling is a factor that might make it a bad idea, also carbon deposits.

On the Suzi the plated parts on the slide seem to take a beating.
The amount of oil we used was about a "trigger" pull on an oil can per tank.

How's this for a rambling note. Grin

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 03/18/16 at 19:48:50

I also remember a Subaru with a carb, that thing hated ethanol. I was always replacing the rubber diaphragm for the accelerator pump.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/18/16 at 19:48:55

YEAH, Marvel Mystery Oil..
Palm/forehead
Duhh, and that's what I squirt in the airtools..

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #10 - 03/18/16 at 20:06:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 19:48:55:
YEAH, Marvel Mystery Oil..
Palm/forehead
Duhh, and that's what I squirt in the airtools..

Grin Grin Grin
The meds AGAIN ??????

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 03/18/16 at 20:43:55

Naaah, im good on the meds.
Really, I'm almost sure of it.
Why would you suggest that the meds are the problem, huhh?
I mean, can't a guy just Screw up, without it being the Meds?
Huhh?
I mean, ya don't Hafta BE screwed up
to screw up.
Yeah,,,
See?
Anyone can just read that and TELL I'm okay with the meds..
Uh huhh.
Really...

Hey! Are you LAUGHING at me???

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 03/19/16 at 01:25:59

My Chilton 1931 Automotive Multi Guide, has a significant ad for "Marvel Mystery Oil" and shows the dispenser that could be fitted to your manifold to inject the "Mystery Oil" into the bores for upper cylinder lube.
Yes, in the 1950's to 'seventies, garages/service stations in Godzone sold Redex as an upper cylinder lube. It came in a cream coloured conical tin with a squirt injector on top and was fed into the petrol tank. My family couldn't afford it.
The Diesel theory was tried by some antique car enthusiasts here, not so much as upper cylinder lube, but to cut down the octane rating/AKI index of the current fuels in NZ, this idea is out of fashion.
A late friend of mine used a small quantity of two stroke outboard oil in his 1909  Sizaire et Naudin water cooled single as upper cylinder lubricant and was happy with the result.
I don't know if we would gain anything by these practices even if our base design is thirty or more years old.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/19/16 at 06:23:36

An old friend of mine said they had propane-fueled stationary engines in the oil fields and used Marvel as an upper engine lube, injected mechanically. Personally, I've used it in the diaphragm damper cylinder of the Stromberg carburetor on my '77 Triumph "Spitfire."

Perhaps such practices fell out of favor due to emission controls, just as ZDDP was removed from car oils?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/19/16 at 10:33:20

The use of upper cylinder lubes went away when fuel injection came along, and when technology made engines that could go 300,000+ miles without a rebuild.  Fuel injection has eliminated the "choke", and you no longer wash the oil off the cylinder walls with the "too rich" fuel mixture".

Engines really don't get clogged up with carbon deposits the way they used to, and a lot of what those upper cylinder lubricants did (Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil), is to loosen the carbon that had the piston rings locked into the grooves in the piston.   And as much as we hate the new E10 fuels, they have improved the additive package and it helps to keep the deposits off the injectors, valves, pistons and rings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:27:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Upper cylinder lubricant.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.