Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Upper cylinder lubricant. (Read 326 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Upper cylinder lubricant.
Reply #30 - 03/21/16 at 12:54:46

Killing ourselves out of stupidity, however, is something that they Do care about.
New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

Ohhh, geeze, don't Make me drag this to the Tall Table.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #31 - 03/21/16 at 15:23:28

Kris01 wrote on 03/20/16 at 18:24:28:
Diesel pump nozzles are too big to fit into a gas tank. That's to keep people from putting the wrong fuel in your vehicle! Diesel used to be cheaper than gas ya know!

However, a smaller gas nozzle will fit into a diesel tank. There might be a problem here!  Grin

Used to work at a large coal mine. I saw guys there put :
Kerosene into a diesel bus. It ran, poorly.
Diesel into a Porsche (out of town contractor, trying to scam free fuel). It didn't run.
Hydraulic oil into a forklift. No chance.
Petrol (gasoline) into a diesel 4x4. can you say "Detontion"? It ran, but oh my....
I've done the 1/2 litre diesel into a tank of petrol many, many times and it's never done any harm. Just a good cheap carb/injector cleaner. In moderation. Wink

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #32 - 03/21/16 at 18:49:44

I'd like to see a video of a diesel 4x4 running on gasoline!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #33 - 03/21/16 at 21:27:21

Ok diesel is combustible fires under compression , gas is flammable fires with the help of a spark plug , mixing the 2 does not benefit either engine. When you add anything to either that is not designed for that engine you alter the fuel. When diesel is added to gas it causes a lean condition because you removed the gas and replaced it oil. Using proper fuel additives for the proper fuel is ok and some additives can be used in both fuels. Carbon build up can be removed with water sprayed in carb with a spray bottle at raised rpm , just a little at a time. When water is compressed it explodes blasting away the carbon. When ever I remove carb or the filter I use some 3in1 oil on the slide keeps the slide from drying/wearing on all my bikes. Do as you please , put what ever you want in your gas. Good old gasoline is all they need !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #34 - 03/21/16 at 23:20:14

Some of the antique car people in NZ tried the Diesel in small quantities to lower the octane, because of an idea that modern fuels combust faster in modern high compression engines. Some people claimed that a slower burning fuel was more suited to compression ratios of under 5.5 or 6 to 1 which was the case with most 1920's vehicles and that the diesel, about a US quart per tankful would do this. I'm no engineer physicist, or combustion engineer, so the whole thing could be BS . I don't really know.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #35 - 03/22/16 at 09:55:37

One thing is certain, you  never see rust inside a petroil  "twostroke" gas tank, and the carbs are always in better shape.

The only question is how much oil is the minimum.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #36 - 03/22/16 at 19:20:29

jcstokes wrote on 03/21/16 at 23:20:14:
Some of the antique car people in NZ tried the Diesel in small quantities to lower the octane, because of an idea that modern fuels combust faster in modern high compression engines. Some people claimed that a slower burning fuel was more suited to compression ratios of under 5.5 or 6 to 1 which was the case with most 1920's vehicles and that the diesel, about a US quart per tankful would do this. I'm no engineer physicist, or combustion engineer, so the whole thing could be BS . I don't really know.

That makes sense. Back then, the fuel was so bad, they had to use extremely low compression ratios (compared to today; my Mazda6 runs 13:1). Modern fuels are overkill for those older engines.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 03/23/16 at 20:50:17

My first mini bike couldn't keep up to the Honda fifty. Then I read that Cox glow fuel for model airplanes would increase power. Not only did it make it faster than the Honda fifty , it passed the Honda seventy too ! Had the fastest mini bike around. On my third tank of mixed fuel it ended when it melted a hole in the piston. My first rebuild at age eleven. Cox glow fuel is a form of diesel fuel. Been working as a mechanic on diesel & gas engines for the last 25 years have seen the damage it causes. Do engines that run on nitro or alcohol use upper cylinder lube , no because just enough oil is carried by the rings to lube cylinder. All its needs is Gasoline !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #38 - 03/24/16 at 01:53:35

Cox glo fuel is methanol (alcohol), 15-30% nitromethane and 20%castor (or synthetic if you can't get castor) oil. They will run on straight glo fuel but they prefer loads of nitro. The air/fuel mix is ignited by the glow plug in the cylinder head which is a kind of hot wire heated initially by a battery then kept hot in a catalytic reaction with the methanol. Gasoline model engines need a spark plug.
No commercially available model engines run on diesel. Diesel model engines run on ether and oil with some scary carcinogens added for racing. They use a simple carb for induction, not the injector you need to atomise diesel fuel. So, they're not really diesels but they are compression ignition engines.
They all carry oil (castor or synthetic) blended with the fuel. Even the 4 strokes use premix.
I understand some of the US pulse jet flyers use Heet (the antifreeze stuff) as fuel. we don't get that here so it's methanol or gasoline for us. Gas for me, methanol is too $$$. Maybe the minibike would've rocked out with a bottle of Heet in it.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #39 - 03/24/16 at 13:53:17

I've decided to throw caution to the winds.  Smiley

I'm squirting one shot of MobilI I, from an oil can, per gallon of into the gas tank.

The purpose, I hope, is to help prevent rust in the tank and also to lube the carb.

Curse that flipping ethanol!! :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #40 - 03/24/16 at 18:25:13

Gas in the tank will prevent corrosion!  Wink

It only corrodes when it's less than full. The gas doesn't eat away at the tank. It's the air above the gas that causes oxidation.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #41 - 03/24/16 at 18:44:13

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14679

A little extra work but might work out for you!

IP Logged
r80rt
YaBB Newbies

Nomad

Hills of Arkansas
Reply #42 - 03/24/16 at 19:11:31

I used Marvel Mystery oil in the gas on my old flathead bikes, they seemed to like it. I never had valve problems with unleaded gas in them.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #43 - 03/24/16 at 21:21:24

No wonder it went so dam fast  and melted the piston ! I was cool for a few days. I just remember cox fuel as oily and glow plug only needing power to start , but I don't remember if it was flammable or combustible. Do remember that they had no piston rings and the fuel lubed the crank & connecting rod.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #44 - 03/25/16 at 00:36:30

Yeah too small for a piston ring. They have a tapered bore instead so as the piston gets higher up the bore it gets tighter and seals better. Pretty crude but gets it done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:22:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Upper cylinder lubricant.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.