Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Upper cylinder lubricant. (Read 326 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Upper cylinder lubricant.
Reply #15 - 03/19/16 at 10:50:02

jcstokes wrote on 03/19/16 at 01:25:59:
The Diesel theory was tried by some antique car enthusiasts here, not so much as upper cylinder lube, but to cut down the octane rating/AKI index of the current fuels in NZ, this idea is out of fashion.

Why would you want to lower the octane?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #16 - 03/19/16 at 11:27:09

My main thought is to lubricate the throttle shaft and coat the steel parts inside the carb to prevent corrosion. I've seen pictures of corrosion on the screws and plate that hold the needle in place, for one, and a bit of lube on the slide doesn't seem like a bad idea.

In turbine engines Jet A lubricates the, extremely expensive, fuel controller, and Diesel of course does the same for the injector pump.
I've always thought that a poor gasoline carb is starved for lubricant.

On of the reasons I bought a Savage is because of the carb. My Triumph Bonneville is the same. Even a dumb gorilla like myself can maintain them.  Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #17 - 03/19/16 at 12:14:35

Diesels are a different animal. The fuels contain waxes that aid in lubrication along side of the normal oil lubrication systems.

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/19/16 at 12:53:48

I'm curious,too.
Why would you want to lower the octane?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #19 - 03/19/16 at 14:29:08

Perhaps a more simple reliable engine at the expense of performance.  Kinda sounds like a savage.   Huh

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #20 - 03/19/16 at 14:32:48

Incidentally, I use Lucas upper end lubricant.  It doesn't do wonders but, I do get better gas millage.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #21 - 03/19/16 at 22:53:20

My upper cylinder is lubricated by the lower cylinder lubricant sneaking past the tired rings  Wink

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/20/16 at 08:34:00

We used to run Diesel at 1 gallon to 10 gallons of gas to clean fuel systems on older cars (diesel fuel is a great engine parts cleaner) for 1 tank about every oil change
With injected cars it's not helpful
Marvel Mystery oil will not hurt your engine provided you don't overuse it, dunno if it'll help any, though

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 03/20/16 at 09:33:45

Never and I repeat never add diesel to gasoline , don't do it ! Raises cylinder temp. well beyond a safe condition. It's the same as the guy with a 2 stroke that think his bike is lean then adds more premix oil to fuel to make up for it. More oil in fuel reduces ratio of fuel which causes a lean condition raising cylinder temp. Compounded by the chemical composition of when diesel is added to gas it burns WAY hotter the just gas. So if you like melted Pistons & engine rebuilds have at it , you have been warned !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 03/20/16 at 12:11:42

Wow! I've never heard that a bit of diesel would hurt a gasoline engine. I've done it many times. I'm talking about something like a pint in a tank,on the truck, or a capfull in the bike.
And, the point about how hot it is, makes sense.
Diesel fuel contains more BTUs per gallon than gas.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #25 - 03/20/16 at 12:16:06

Hmmm, good tip!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/20/16 at 17:46:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/20/16 at 12:11:42:
Wow! I've never heard that a bit of diesel would hurt a gasoline engine. I've done it many times. I'm talking about something like a pint in a tank,on the truck, or a capfull in the bike.
And, the point about how hot it is, makes sense.
Diesel fuel contains more BTUs per gallon than gas.

It was not uncommon for old Porsche 356 engines to get carboned up, and the carbon would make the engines run poorly...as the carbon would bump up an already high compression ratio.  It was common for folks to add diesel fuel to clean out the built up carbon.  They were warned however, that diesel fuel in the gas would lower the octane rating of the gasoline, and light throttle and slower speeds were required until they used up the fuel and got rid of the diesel in the tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 03/20/16 at 17:56:15

All these years,,,  wow,

What percentage are we talking about, when it gets dangerous.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #28 - 03/20/16 at 18:24:28

Diesel pump nozzles are too big to fit into a gas tank. That's to keep people from putting the wrong fuel in your vehicle! Diesel used to be cheaper than gas ya know!

However, a smaller gas nozzle will fit into a diesel tank. There might be a problem here!  Grin

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #29 - 03/21/16 at 09:41:18

I used the 1 gallon of diesel to 10 gallons of gas many times, no problem ever, much less melted pistons, etc
now running 1/2 n 1/2 would probably cause problems, and doing it all the time would likely cause problems, but it was a 1 /10 (up to 1/20) once an oil change
Kris, most 1975 and earlier auto gas tanks will accept a diesel nozzle easily, the smaller fill neck was initiated when unleaded gas was introduced, to keep the newer cars from being fueled with leaded gas, which kills catalysts, not really to keep us from putting diesel in, it was done due to EPA regs
us idiots that buy the cars, they could care less if we kill our cars through stupidity

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Upper cylinder lubricant.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.