Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you clean your engine? (Read 101 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
How do you clean your engine?
03/17/16 at 15:48:39

I've got a black cylinder and head, and it's starting to look a bit dirty and nasty. It's got little rocks in between the cooling fins, I don't want to pressure wash it and risk taking the paint off. What is the best way?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: How do you clean your engine?
Reply #1 - 03/17/16 at 17:44:02

Just hand wash it.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/18/16 at 02:44:59

I use a short handle bumper and grill brush and warm soapy water.  If you want to make it look like new, you can go over it after it dries with some Marvel mystery Oil.

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/18/16 at 03:59:47

I go to the motorcycle store and buy Bike Bright.  It comes in a spray bottle and it is a cleaner/degreaser.  You spray it on the cold engine, take s scrub brush and/or parts washer brush to the fins on the engine, and on any of the flat areas that are grimy.....don't let it dry.  Then you can also use in on the other hard to get to areas on the bike like the wheels and spokes.  Then rinse it off, and then use a car/wash on the entire bike.  The Bike Bright really works well - but it you have not cleaned the bike in a while you might have to repeat the process a few times.

You can also get a can of stuff that is made for motorcycles with Black Fins....I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 03/18/16 at 05:05:08

I'm lazy. I spray it with degreaser then hose it off or pressure wash it then go for a ride. never had a problem with a pressure cleaner blasting paint off.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 03/18/16 at 16:29:45

I'm lazier. I ride, don't worry about cleaning. Well, maybe if there is a persistent oil leak. In that case, usually some dish soap in a sprayer and then hose it off. I have 8 month old bug guts on on my flyshield. I've thought about seeing if I can wait until I get the shield completely covered with bugs, just to see if I can do it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/18/16 at 18:02:12

Rocks jammed in the fins, and you don't wanna scrape the paint, start with wood.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 03/18/16 at 19:07:57

Just remember to ride after you clean. The wind will evaporate any trapped water that you can't see. Rust is NOT your friend!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:34:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do you clean your engine?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.