Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I thought it was windy! (Read 199 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: I thought it was windy!
Reply #15 - 03/15/16 at 13:43:35

Yep, I really do not yet know if the posts were set in concrete or not as it was all still a bit muddy. If they were set in concrete I will probably have to make the post holes right next to the old post holes. I have dug up the remains of a post and concrete before and it was a royal pain. I do not intend to do that.

Like Gus said though, if I have to dig the holes next to the old holes then the panels will not line up and it will require much more work. Anyway, I am putting it off until the weekend so I'll let you know what happens Youzguyz,

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 03/15/16 at 14:16:19

You just need duct tape, gorilla glue, and JB weld!  That'll fix anything.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 03/15/16 at 15:24:44

You know, duct tape and JB weld are definitely my go to's. I have never tried Gorilla glue, but I have heard it is good.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/15/16 at 15:37:23

I'd replace the posts with steel pipe in concrete, it'll last you pretty near forever.
You just need to replace the in between every so often.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 03/15/16 at 20:33:38

wow, that sucks
at least it's at ground level, me and a freind put up my carport to put my trailer under today
I will never again 'raise' a built frame onto legs  Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #20 - 03/17/16 at 12:08:44

That is actually a pretty good idea Versy. I looked up some pictures though and not sure I really like the look. Especially since I did all of the back fence (the longest side) a couple of years ago in all wood. If I were doing the whole fence I think I probably would go with the steel posts.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 03/17/16 at 15:05:15

Just say "the neighbor did that" (that's what I say).   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #22 - 03/17/16 at 15:13:24

our bikes don't do well in the wind
was just starting out on a PGR poker run not half a mile
was in the right lane went under a viaduct and got blowed almost into the median  did a u eee and waited for the rest of the rider at the VFW

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 03/17/16 at 20:01:21

It helps if you know there a strong gusts. It is much scarier when it catches you by surprise.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #24 - 03/18/16 at 12:45:32

Being from down here in Hurricane central, I have replaced many a fence and often wondered why the fence companies use the "tie in" type metal between fence posts and make one big no seamed fence line.

So when I redid an 80 foot section between me and my neighbor to the north... I built one that is sectioned, 6 foot between centers of my ground posts.
I then cut umpteen billion pieces of 2" X 4" pieces of wood and made some "shelves" for the 2 X 4's that go from post to post. I then just set the fence boards about 1/4" to about 1/2" gaps between to adjust for the coverage between posts.
I only used 2 each 2 X 4's per section, 1 foot off the ground and 1 foot from the top of the fence... yeah they bow a little now and then, but still serve the purpose of a privacy fence and keep kids and animals out.
I then put 3 screws on each end fence board into the 4 X 4 posts, so that only six screws hold the fence sections up, but since they rest on my 2" X 4" shelves weight is no problem.
Now all I have to do when a Hurricane comes is to remove six screws per section, then lay them down in the yard and strap them together.
I could also put an anchor or two to hold down the whole lot if needed.
My initial idea was to put anchors along the side of my house and use the sections to protect my plastic siding and windows.... I still might do that.

fence1.jpg

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 03/18/16 at 13:37:05

old_rider wrote on 03/18/16 at 12:45:32:
My initial idea was to put anchors along the side of my house and use the sections to protect my plastic siding and windows.... I still might do that.

I like that idea.
I worked for a lock and door mfr once.
You test the system by firing 2x4's out of a cannon at the door/lock system similar to firing thawed chickens at a/c canopies... the frozen ones go thru.  I don't know what they do for the artic, any fn bird caught flying out in a storm is apt to be frozen.
I don't think the fence will survive but may slow the projectile enough to allow the window/siding to survive.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 03/18/16 at 14:34:28

Mmmm. Most interesting there Old Rider.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #27 - 03/18/16 at 20:31:11

Wife tells me i'm silly for putting it up on the net and should get it patented first Smiley
I don't mind sharing idea's though....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #28 - 03/20/16 at 20:25:06

Hey Youzguyz, I said I would report back so here is the scoop. The rotted posts were set in concrete, so between that and huge roots next to the tree that has grown so much, the spacing of the posts had to be changed and was not consistent. Therefore I had to remove all the pickets from the old fence, removing each screw one by one (took a very long time). I replaced all the posts, and most of the six inch wide board at the bottom of the fence. I used only two new 2x4x8 and after  tearing up 3 phillips head bits and wasting all that time with those screws I switched to T5 star head screws and the pace really picked up. I have probably over 40 man hours now into the clean up, reclaiming of the wood and installation of the "new" fence but still have about one or two hours left before I finish. Working in the dark was just too difficult and I was tired and hungry anyway. Hopefully I will be finished with it tomorrow night. Cost of new materials not counting post hole digger and shovel was around $200.00. Shocked

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #29 - 03/20/16 at 20:28:24

By the way, I call it my zig zag fence. I could not find my string when I got started and could not be bothered to go buy some. Yep, I eyeballed it. It probably would have been straighter if I would have had a few drinks first. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:19:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › I thought it was windy!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.