Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
replacing the petcock??? (Read 80 times)
pam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ft. Mitchell, KY
replacing the petcock???
03/12/16 at 08:42:51

I am getting a new ...2015 S 40 ... should I replace that petcock right off from the start. ???? i am trying to read everything on the forum and asorb it all.
  Just trying to find out what everyone thinks as this is a new bike and never titled...has only 2 miles on it...Thanks Pam Smiley

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: replacing the petcock???
Reply #1 - 03/12/16 at 08:55:24

Myself, I would leave it until you start experiencing problems. It should be good for at least 3-4 years.

Problems will usually come in one of three ways.

1) The petcock will stop shutting off correctly when the engine is shut down. This will result in fuel in the crankcase, in the airbox or on the ground.

2) The petcock diaphram will become stiff and engine vacuum can't hold it open. This will result in poor running and times when it acts like you are running out of gas.

3) The vacuum line from the carb will begin leaking air. This will result in poor running.

The stock petcock is handy when it is working OK. You don't have to worry about manually turning the petcock on and off.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #2 - 03/12/16 at 09:00:10

Personally, I'd ride and enjoy the bike, at least through the break in and warranty time/mileage.   ANY changes, such as a petcock change, might void your warranty, and you don't want to do that.      Petcock, air filter, re-jetting etc. can wait for awhile.   Plus, this give you time think about what you want to do and in which order......  Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 03/12/16 at 10:16:38

I'll second, uh, 3rd, what's been said so far! Preserve your warranty and enjoy your new bike!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 03/12/16 at 16:37:26

ride it till the bike is out of warranty, don't do anything to it but make a list of what you think it needs. The petc0ck will last for 4-5 years, tires about 10k miles depending on how you ride. Enjoy it and have fun.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
1100dan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/12/16 at 17:48:56

I also just purchased a new 2014 savage and would like to ask about the cam chain tensioner. I may take it cross country this July, about 6,000 miles. Should I be concerned about it? About how many miles before it should be replaced? Thanks and sorry to have hijacked this thread.... Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/12/16 at 17:58:10

1100dan wrote on 03/12/16 at 17:48:56:
I also just purchased a new 2014 savage and would like to ask about the cam chain tensioner. I may take it cross country this July, about 6,000 miles. Should I be concerned about it? About how many miles before it should be replaced? Thanks and sorry to have hijacked this thread.... Undecided

If you got it "new"... no.
If you ride 5 miles at a time... complete cool down then pick it up again... maybe.
If you drain a tank every day... no.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:31:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacing the petcock???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.