Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
night riding (Read 142 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
night riding
03/12/16 at 06:56:41

It is spring here & I was out carousing around in the dark again last night. I ended up 50 miles from the house and the Savage sputtered so I flipped the petcock to reserve. There is a town 15 miles ahead of me so no worries.
I pulled up to the pumps and filled up the bike, did a general check with a flash light and called my wife to tell her I'd wandered a little further than planned and gave her my route.
I like riding at night for a few reasons. I always have a lot of projects on the burner and riding at night allows me time to do both. I like the solitude of a night ride and the feel of the lonely old back roads in the dark. This part of the country isn't heavily populated so there is little to no traffic on the roads. The towns are 15-30 miles apart so it leaves plenty of white & yellow lines to follow in between. The one hazard is the wildlife; there is a lot of wildlife here `bouts and it ain't possums. It's large northern white tails with an occasional moose and a lot of coyotes.

I live in a unique part of the country where the Divide is that separates the watersheds flowing north to south. There are two large lakes a few miles apart. the water from Lake Traverse flows north to Hudson Bay in Canada and Big Stone Lake flows into a series of rives and ends up in the Gulf of Mexico. These lakes have a lot of shore line and many miles of twisty's and are a blast to ride day or night.

So today I've got a motorcycle here that needs the carbs. cleaned and I'll do some other things and come dark . . .well who knows . . . I may just head out again to ride the roads to solitude and relaxation in the darkness.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Re: night riding
Reply #1 - 03/12/16 at 07:42:26

I like night riding too, but didn't, on the S40, hpe your headlight is upgraded, the stocker seems to be powered by a bit of candle stub  Grin

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/12/16 at 07:58:50

Your night rides down the lonely roads sound like a lot of fun.  In my youth I worked a night shift job and commuted on a British motorcycle.  On the way home I always took a long route just for the reasons you sited.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 03/12/16 at 10:07:35

My schedule almost prohibits me from riding in the daytime. I'm usually just too busy with other things. That's ok though because, like you mentioned, I like the solitude of riding at night. It gives me time to unwind and clear the cobwebs.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/12/16 at 10:16:12

I generally do not ride at night primarily because of the danger with deer. However the other night coming back from Austin was a night ride and it really was very enjoyable. I did tend to slow down a bit more in the more heavily wooded parts of the road. I was a bit nervous. But the coolness of the night breeze in the summer feels great.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/13/16 at 04:52:33

My daytime rides on the local back roads are done at a brisk pace (not breaking the speed limits - but the corners are the fun part).

My night pace slows down considerably......as there are deer all over the place.  They will be running out in front of you, and the speed has to slow to allow for some short stops.  And I have changed my headlight to a much more effective one and installed a Silverstar bulb so I can see them as soon as possible (avoid the lights with blue tint on the bulb....they don'tn light up yellow/brown colors as well as clear bulbs as you are filtering out the yellow spectrum light with the blue filter on the bulb).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Hit a coon last night!!
Reply #6 - 03/13/16 at 07:42:37

I was out last night again. Only road about 70 mi!es or so.
I hit a big ol coon about 3/4 of the way Into my ride. Happened so fast it didn't even register on the adrenaline scale. I hit it dead on so it was a pretty straight forward jump over the old boy.
I probably would have been able to avoid him but I was concentrating on the dead coon directly in my path when this other coon showed up on the scene at just the wrong time.
Hit him with both whee!s square like!  Undecided The Savage, by the way, proved to be a worthy ride under the circumstances.  Cool

Oh and that new Dainese jacket is the bee's knee's for riding. I mean it is a serious riding jacket. It has more material through the back of the shoulders and less through the front of the shoulders. This makes for no bunching while hands are on the bars and plenty of shoulder room while reaching for the bars. I'm sold hook line and sinker; as they say.  Wink

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 03/13/16 at 08:31:14

I got coons too, a lot of em' and I ride in dark o' 30 everyday.....
When driving in the dark I slow as well, stay in the center of the road, as we are heavily forested, trees coming to the edge of the road, etc, and I watch for the glint in their eyes. I look over my windscreen and visor up if the conditions allow it.
I aim for their butt, as they just won't reverse their course of travel....
Deer, they will, you just gotta take each encounter on its own condition...
Slow, and SLOWER, seem to be the best course of actions, and knowing their routine, like feeding and rutting, etc.

Even with all this caution, it is still Russian roulette, as we loose riders to deer strikes ( not all be fatal, but at higher speeds, the body damage is often enuff to have to give up riding ) yearly...

It is ALWAYS on my awareness and I NEVER relax my guard.
They are more sketchy than a newly driving Asian in a car  Grin  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/18/16 at 20:01:36

Armadillo, portable curb..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/19/16 at 05:59:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/18/16 at 20:01:36:
Armadillo, portable curb..

Texas Speed Bumps!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/19/16 at 09:34:22

Thats awful,, so, I went looking, and Nat Geo did a bit on them.
I thought it was interesting.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/armadillo/

And, because it's not just commonly seen flattened on a backroad in Texas, it's been given less of a definitive regional type name, much as I liked the Texas reference. Thought this was funny..

The nine-banded armadillo’s hapless propensity for being run over by cars has earned it the nickname “Hillbilly Speed Bump.”

The stupid things are about blind. I had one in the back yard, ran at it. It took off running. I was determined to catch up and kick the darn thing, wanted it to go away.. and I Did catch up and got enough of a foot on it to roll it, but I was having a hard time not laffing. Hearing one run is just too funny. You can hear the armor plating stacking up as the critters front and rear feet get closer, further apart, I was picturing someone wildly working an accordion, no notes, just the sound of air heaving in and out and the slapping and flapping of it pleated sides.
They are curious looking any time, and Hilarious at speed.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #11 - 03/20/16 at 08:28:24

Night riding. I don't, if I can avoid it.   Too many "things" out in the dark that want to inflict pain and injury to my decrepit old body......

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/20/16 at 10:32:23

old.indian wrote on 03/20/16 at 08:28:24:
Night riding. I don't, if I can avoid it.   Too many "things" out in the dark that want to inflict pain and injury to my decrepit old body......

Yep, I find myself riding more slowly and carefully each year.
PAIN HURTS.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/21/16 at 09:08:13

you mean...you mean
SWAYZE HAD IT WRONG?
pain really does hurt?!
oh
em
gee
I gotta quit my job as a bouncer in a biker bar, quickfastinahurry!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:17:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › night riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.