Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tire install by the dealer. (Read 232 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Tire install by the dealer.
03/11/16 at 09:09:46

They said it was free... ... Undecided
They installed the 90' valve stem to the pulley side, after I told them twice, and made them note it on the order.  BRAKE SIDE!!!
...and my belt is tight as a banjo string.. Tuned to G, I think.. Grin

I'll pull the rear myself (gotta' adjust the belt anyway), and take them the wheel to correct the valve stem arrangement...

Dealer knows best...  Cool
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tire install by the dealer.
Reply #1 - 03/11/16 at 09:28:59

I am sure that there are some good mechanics out there - it is a shame they are so hard to find.

I stopped taking my car to the dealer or tire stores when I need tires - I just drop off the wheels.  Too many times they have tightened the lugs nuts so tight that it is impossible to remove them with the lug wrench.....they just keep banging away at the lug nuts with the impact wrench until they are impossible to remove with hand tools!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/11/16 at 10:39:03

Serowbot wrote on 03/11/16 at 09:09:46:
BRAKE SIDE!!!

Brakes!?! I thought you wanted a tire.
And these are tubeless tires... do you want a new valve stem?   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/11/16 at 10:48:35

Believe it not,... they charged me $4 for new valve stems...
Got that refunded, too...

Before I reinstall,.. I'm gonna' do Daves innertube mod to the pulley bushings...

PS.. the belt was so tight, the bike slowed down when the suspension hit dips...
It was a belt snappin' fun ride home...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 03/11/16 at 12:42:39

I just take my wheels in like Dave said. However, the last time I did, I forgot to ask the guys to mount the stem on the brake side. It's under the pulley and a little hard to reach but manageable.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 03/11/16 at 13:03:24

Last time I took wheels in for tyres , the observant and careful tyre fitter noticed the tyre was on backwards, did a little research, determined it was an Enfield rim and put the new tyre on backwards as well. Enfields have the drive sprocket opposite side to most others.
Well done, and good job, sir. There is an occasional good one out there.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 03/11/16 at 13:56:23

I'm not understanding why the tire is supposed to be backwards.  Huh

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #7 - 03/11/16 at 14:17:03

Where I live you can still stand and watch them torque the lugs. While in WI working a few years ago I had a tire monkey cinch down the wheels so tight he ruined the rotors on my Mercedes.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/11/16 at 18:00:31

Serowbot, you are doing the right thing by taking the wheel back in and getting the tube installed right.  And it is just unbelievable that they adjusted the belt so tight.  The mechanic not only didn't understand anything about belt drives but he apparently didn't know anything about swing arm geometry.

When I was younger I did all my own work on houses, cars, bikes, whatever to save money.  Now that I am older I would like to have someone do some of this stuff for me but it seems I have to keep doing it myself because so much of what I hire done is faulty these days.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 03/11/16 at 18:01:11

Thanks for the reminder, just had new rubber put on the Tahoe and need to check the torque on the lugs. I've had too many monkeys with hammers working on my SUV to trust anybody, try to do it myself now.
 Last tire I had the dealer put on the bike I pulled the wheel and took it in. They folded the tube during installation and it went flat about 60 miles into an afternoon ride. At least they replaced the tube for free when I brought back in. Don't know who to trust with the bike anymore.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 03/11/16 at 18:14:36

engineer wrote on 03/11/16 at 18:00:31:
When I was younger I did all my own work on houses, cars, bikes, whatever to save money.  Now that I am older I would like to have someone do some of this stuff for me but it seems I have to keep doing it myself because so much of what I hire done is faulty these days.  

That's the exact reason why I wrench on my own stuff. I don't trust anyone else to do a satisfactory job.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 03/12/16 at 01:54:38

Kris01 wrote on 03/11/16 at 13:56:23:
I'm not understanding why the tire is supposed to be backwards.  Huh

No no, the tyre is on the right way around. But because the sprocket is on the other side of the wheel to most other bikes, if he'd put the tyre on the conventional "right" way, it would've been on backward for my bike. So the tyre fitter noticed before he took the old tyre off, that it appeared backwards and took the time to find out why and got it right. He could've just gone through the motions and had it arse about but he didn't.
Hope that makes sense  Wink

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/12/16 at 08:01:27

Dave wrote on 03/11/16 at 09:28:59:
I am sure that there are some good mechanics out there - it is a shame they are so hard to find.

I stopped taking my car to the dealer or tire stores when I need tires - I just drop off the wheels.  Too many times they have tightened the lugs nuts so tight that it is impossible to remove them with the lug wrench.....they just keep banging away at the lug nuts with the impact wrench until they are impossible to remove with hand tools!

Since you no longer let gun monkeys work on your car this is clocking the barn door after the horse got out, but you can get any lugnut off a car no matter hoe tight if you use leg strength
this is my method
first you gotta have a straight, not 4 way lug wrench, or a breaker bar
set the tool on the lug nut so it sits parallel to the ground
with your right side to the car (unless it's a '60s Dodge with left hand threads) get down like you're gonna kneel on the ground
grab the wrench with your right hand
now stand /step forward (think 'walking lunge' exercise)
you'll either loosen the lug or snap the stud off
I've taken bolts off cars this way that a high end impact with 500 ft lb wouldn't loosen (snapping 3 of the 5 studs in the process, because they were cross threaded AND over tightened)
if this is 'clear as mud' I can make a short video and post to the forum for any who'd like to see

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 03/12/16 at 10:09:01

Oh ok. Thanks Gizzo. It makes sense now. My brain must've been backwards!  Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/12/16 at 10:09:15

Art, much too complicated. I have a four foot cheater bar, you would be surprised just how much leverage that gives you! Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 14:31:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tire install by the dealer.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.