Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help can't figure it out Harley Dyna swap (Read 199 times)
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Need help can't figure it out Harley Dyna swap
03/08/16 at 12:22:12

I did the Harley Dyna swap and rejetted 150 main 52.5 pilot air mixture 2 turns out get this orange flaming on decel header checked no leaks does have a slight leak at the connection not too bad used tin can and heavy duty t clamp any ideas on what's causing it also small puff of black smoke when revving engine

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Need help can't figure it out Harley Dyna swap
Reply #1 - 03/08/16 at 12:37:46

Do you have a Raptor petcock?... (Symptoms sound like your Pet could be leaking)...

Is your muffler de-baffled?... (before you installed,.. could you see all the way though it?)...

What is your elevation?... (the 52.5 pilot may be overly rich)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/08/16 at 12:40:22

Yeah I have the raptor petcock the pilot is stock I only changed the main jet my elevation here in ky is 600' here is a video of it

https://youtu.be/tt4t4dcpddI

IP Logged
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/08/16 at 12:41:57

Forgot to add the Dyna muffler is stock still has the baffles

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/08/16 at 13:23:46

Where does the orange flame come from....out the exhaust?

If you have a 47.5 pilot...most likely a 50 or 52.5 pilot will help.

Air screws set at "2 turns out" is the way you begin to tune your bike, you then need to actually adjust your mixture screw....it is a living breathing thing and the setting needs to be dialed in for each bike.  When you are doing the adjustment the bike needs to be fully warmed up, and if the smoothest engine speed is more than 2.5 turns out you need a larger pilot jet.....and if you can turn your mixture screw all the way in and the motor isn't starting to act up...you need a smaller pilot jet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxpQjDQzX7g

Also.....the Savage is a bit primitive in design and it needs more love and attention than a modern fuel injected computer controlled motorcycle.  You need to learn how to do what the computer does for you on the fuel injected bike.  When you are shifting or slowing down - don't just chop the throttle and let it close completely.  When you hear the popping and banging while slowing down....just roll on a tiny amount of throttle until the noise stops.  Don't add a lot of throttle....you can add a little bit and reduce the noise with making the bike accelerate.  You may need a bit more brake as you could be doing less compression braking.  Same thing when shifting - don't close the throttle all the way....leave it open about 1/16 or 1/8th turn as you pull in the clutch.

The popping and backfiring is a result of the mixture going really lean when you close the throttle.  The slide drops and closes off the main jet - so the only fuel that can flow through the carb is coming out the pilot jet circuit....and that just isn't enough fuel for an engine that is turning much faster than idle speed.  So the really lean fuel mixture can't get ignited by the spark plug - but it does ignite in the hot exhaust system and creates the "bang" and yellow flame out the tail pipe.  (The stock muffler is very good at masking these events, and when you put on a more free flowing muffler - the popping and banging becomes far more noticeable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/08/16 at 13:52:07

Yeah Dave it comes out of the muffler on decel I have 52.5 pilot and 150 main airscrew right now is 2 turns out bike sounds great and has good power just backfiring and flaming out the end of the muffler not even a hiccup in the throttle all problems are just in the decel I posted a link above to the YouTube video of my bike running with the flames coming out

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/08/16 at 17:39:47

I'd drop down to a #50 pilot... that flame and puff of black smoke is unspent fuel firing off in the pipe...

It sounds pretty nice with the new muffy... Cool

..you might also check your air filter... clogged air filter will make you overly rich too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/08/16 at 19:11:27

Thanks I'll try the pilot I love the Dyna muffler sound also just checked and my idle air screw was out 2 1/2 turns set it to 1.5 turns no more black smoke or flames but i haven't got to ride it to make sure. Will the needle spacer mod lean it or richer it?

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/08/16 at 20:58:33

the white spacer mod will richen it in transition and and part throttle
If your bike surges during low RPM low speed riding it needs the white spacer mod

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 03/09/16 at 17:24:49

The white spacer mod will make the biggest difference. You spend most of your riding time off idle but less than WOT where the needle jet/jet needle are working the hardest. The white spacer controls how much fuel flows through the needle jet.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/11/16 at 09:09:33

Well I did the white spacer mod checked for exhaust leaks still getting a lot of backfiring on decel I checked the spark plug last night it was a tanish color not black at all like I thought it would be can't figure out if I'm too lean or too rich still have stock pilot jet don't know if I should go up or down

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/11/16 at 09:21:54

wcemt83 wrote on 03/11/16 at 09:09:33:
Well I did the white spacer mod checked for exhaust leaks still getting a lot of backfiring on decel

If you are allowing the throttle to close completely when you are slowing down.....you will get popping and banging out the muffler (the stock muffler is very good at masking this noise - the DYNA is not).  It is the nature of a big single with a carb - the fuel mixture goes very lean when the throttle is closed.  Suzuki tried to correct this by using a carb with a TEV valve - but it just doesn't work well enough with E10 fuel....it most likely is more effective with Pure Gas that doesn't have ethanol in it.  Maybe your TEV valve needs to be cleaned or the spring/diaphragm are not working properly - but I suspect you just need to learn how use your throttle to tame the noise down.  You should jet your carb so that the engine runs smoothly when you are accelerating or cruising - the carb should not be jetted for what it does when coasting with a closed throttle.

To make the bike backfire less, you need to roll a small amount of throttle on as you are shifting gears or slowing down - don't close the throttle completely.  You have to learn how to apply the brake while keeping your throttle hand working the throttle while you apply the front brake.  It makes a lot of difference in the noise the bike makes.

Yo

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wcemt83
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/11/16 at 16:11:07

Talked to a buddy of mine that works for Suzuki he said to take the decel valve off and cut 10 mm of the spring off and that usuall corrects the problem he said Suzuki techs came down and done some training with him and they told him that usually correct the problem so he said he does it on all s40s that come in for carb problems so I tried it today sure enough really cut down on the backfiring issue actually made it run a little better now put about 40 miles on it today I could really tell a difference

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/11/16 at 16:21:30

I really spent a lot of time fooling with springs for the Transient Enrichment Valve and could completely eliminate the after firing.

The problem that persisted, and I never found a work around, was when I shut the throttle off the RPMs would dip below 900 and the engine would stall when I was down shifting. A couple of times it stalled at low speed gong around a traffic circle and got scary.

If you are not experiencing this problem I will try working on it again.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 03/11/16 at 18:18:31

wcemt83 wrote on 03/11/16 at 16:11:07:
Talked to a buddy of mine that works for Suzuki he said... that usuall corrects the problem...

Sounds iffy. I don't think I'll trust junk science and hearsay.

The Transient Enrichment valve spring and cutting have been "iffy". Some folks have luck....others don't,  One fellow listed a automotive carb spring for a accelerator pump that was supposed to be a bit softer spring and work better.

« Last Edit: 03/13/16 at 12:33:09 by Dave »  

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:28:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help can't figure it out Harley Dyna swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.