Send Topic Print
Iron butt (Read 298 times)
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Re: Iron butt
Reply #15 - 03/06/16 at 23:30:16

Smiley I rode my bike out of my court today. My longest ride ever and LOVE IT!

Didn't go far, just all the way around the backstreets of the neighborhood. It was quiet and beautiful sunny day after a rainy weekend.

Maybe 3 - 4 miles LOL. Hey but I loved it. Next Goal is the market, and then work.

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #16 - 03/07/16 at 00:14:53

I have an Alaska leather sheep skin cover on my seat
cool in the summer warm on cool days
their rally series are cheaper and they did a  custom slip cover for my drivers back rest

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #17 - 03/07/16 at 06:49:40

Kruzader wrote on 03/06/16 at 23:30:16:
Smiley I rode my bike out of my court today. My longest ride ever and LOVE IT!

Didn't go far, just all the way around the backstreets of the neighborhood. It was quiet and beautiful sunny day after a rainy weekend.

Maybe 3 - 4 miles LOL. Hey but I loved it. Next Goal is the market, and then work.

Hey, that's where it all starts! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/07/16 at 08:33:51

springman wrote on 03/06/16 at 10:55:51:
Well, I am up and about today. Body aches a bit pretty much all over. The 2 biggest surprises are that my abs are sore, like as if I had done a bunch of sit ups and my left hand, my clutch hand hurts.

I think the inflatable seat cushion I have helps a lot. I think the biggest help to be able to do a longer ride would be a back support to lean against and I guess maybe a windscreen would help. But I've never ridden a bike with a windscreen and I am reluctant to put one on thinking it will affect my handling. Plus, I have to admit that in the Houston summer I want all the wind hitting me to help cool me off.

Yeah, I do prefer the shorter rides at slower speeds but I just wanted to find out how much saddle time I can do so if ever I plan a long trip I can have a good idea of how many miles I should plan on covering in one day. And now I also know the after effects of extended saddle time. It was an adventure. Grin

A few notes: contrary to what some people say, a well selected screen will have little to no effect on handling, heck, it doesn't slow MM down, does it?
Even that giant sail I had on mine never caused a problem due to wind
Second, re max wind during the summer, don't take my word on it, google it,
Once the temp gets above 98 degrees or so, wind chill works in reverse, putting heat into your body faster than your natural cooling system (sweating / evaporation) can get it out, once you're at speed
Even the fellow who wrote Proficient Motorcycling comments on this
a breeze while you're sitting at a red light still feels good, but doing 70 on a 100 degree day, you want to block that wind, as it will heat you up faster
Counterintuitive but true
As for a back rest, two options
Protac makes a driver backrest (expensive but works)
Or if you don't want to spend that much, put a sissy bar on your bike, and attach a backpack or duffle full of clothing

I should bring the Scootanic up there one day, let you feel what wind protection feels like on a bike, even if it's not a 'real' motorcycle

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #19 - 03/07/16 at 15:12:23

Hey Art. I have ridden in 100 degrees + weather here in Houston with my mesh jacket on. While moving it felt ok. When stopped, the ambient temp + the heat from the engine can really be bothersome.

I suspect one of these days I will buy a windscreen and I'll find out then just how it all feels.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #20 - 03/07/16 at 17:02:57

Buy one of the small removable windscreens... just tall enough to through some air off during the kewl weather and four quick disconnects to remove it during the hot months.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 03/07/16 at 19:18:52

Spring Man

I've got three of the Memphis Shield brand wind shields ,   three sizes and two bikes and they all interchange .   Four Screws takes them on and off.     Its really a great system and they can be cheep on Ebay !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/07/16 at 19:31:19

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into these windshields.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #23 - 03/07/16 at 19:47:49

CRAZY PEOPLE ... CRAZY TALK !!!
Come on Lancer we did about 375 miles on the first Dragon ride.  After dumping my bike, you remember that don't you,  I rode over 100 miles without a right foot peg. Of course you were off chasing that babe on a Harley on that ride. Wink.
Yeah, crazy talk but good memories.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #24 - 03/08/16 at 07:30:55

springman wrote on 03/07/16 at 15:12:23:
Hey Art. I have ridden in 100 degrees + weather here in Houston with my mesh jacket on. While moving it felt ok. When stopped, the ambient temp + the heat from the engine can really be bothersome.

I suspect one of these days I will buy a windscreen and I'll find out then just how it all feels.

I thought so too until I compared mesh to leather on a long 70 mph run on a 113 degree day
ran from Columbus to Brookshire in mesh, then back to Columbus in leather, specifically to test the theory, which I at first thought was bunk
I was definitely cooler in leather while moving at high speed
no one believes this, but it's very elementary thermodynamics

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #25 - 03/08/16 at 07:38:40

Ed L, I think I like you. 100 miles without a foot peg, you're a tough son of a gun.

Art, I will definitely test out what you are saying. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/08/16 at 07:58:21

Oldfeller took me to the Dixie Knife Works on one 98+ degree day, and while were sitting at a red light in the hot sun on the hot asphalt I decided I would raise my face shield to cool off.....the air felt like a blast furnace of heat - I got less heat with the face shield closed!

I don't know about the mesh vs. leather......I now have both types but have never compared them on the same ride.  I would think that you would be cooler with the ability to perspire - and the air coming through the mesh to carry the moisture away.  Some leather jackets with good ventilation may keep the sun off - while the vents work to let air flow through and do the cooling.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 03/08/16 at 08:22:14

Dave wrote on 03/08/16 at 07:58:21:
Oldfeller took me to the Dixie Knife Works on one 98+ degree day, and while were sitting at a red light in the hot sun on the hot asphalt I decided I would raise my face shield to cool off.....the air felt like a blast furnace of heat - I got less heat with the face shield closed!

I don't know about the mesh vs. leather......I now have both types but have never compared them on the same ride.  I would think that you would be cooler with the ability to perspire - and the air coming through the mesh to carry the moisture away.  Some leather jackets with good ventilation may keep the sun off - while the vents work to let air flow through and do the cooling.

You still perspire in leather, and it breathes, unless you left the winter liner in  Grin in the mesh, the air flow is putting heat into you while you're moving, where the leather blocks that hot air from reaching your skin and heating you up faster than you can shed heat
the mesh is cooler when sitting ant a light or cruising slowly though
Like I said, it's very basic thermodynamics, heat ALWAYS travels to cold, the heat transfer is faster the higher the temperature differential, stationary objects form a boundary layer that mitigates this some, but moving wind breaks that boundary layer

If you set a 38 degree drink on a bench on a still 100 degree day, the drink will gradually absorb heat until it reaches 100 degrees, minus whatever for evaporative cooling
if you set that same drink on that same bench on a 100 degree day with a 70 mile an hour wind, it'll get hot faster, and reach a higher temp, and evaporate faster
Provided it's not blown away by the wind  Grin
the face shield thing actually supports this, if you study on it some

or read this
http://www.zunis.org/at_least_theres_a_breeze.htm
note how as temp goes up wind chill becomes wind heating

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #28 - 03/08/16 at 08:32:23

Art,
You are getting so scientific my head is starting to hurt from the expansion.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #29 - 03/08/16 at 10:30:21

I've ridden with both leather and mesh in the Florida heat and found that there isn't much difference while moving as long as the leather has good ventilation. Stopped is another thing altogether, black leather heats up a lot faster than most mesh jackets do. Either way I pack a lot of water.
I've been using a small windscreen on my bike for years and like it for superslab running, it helps keep the road crud off the rider but unless set right can cause a lot of noise in my FF helmet. The few times I"ve been caught in the rain it kept me a little dryer but I still got wet. The biggest pain with riding in the rain is when my pants get soaked and the water runs down my legs and fills up my riding boots. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:34:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Iron butt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.