Iron butt (Read 298 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Iron butt
03/05/16 at 21:17:54

I rode down to Austin today to have lunch with my daughter and her husband. I spent a few hours down there and then rode back. Just got in about 45 minutes ago. Round trip was 347 miles and because of lousy traffic in Austin you can add an hour and a half of basically sitting on the bike on the Austin highway. With a little better seat and a back rest I think I could do 500 miles in a day. I am tired though. But it was a good day. Smiley

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Iron butt
Reply #1 - 03/05/16 at 22:06:26

SpringMan,

You are a few miles shy of getting an Iron Butt Award.......

Several times in riding from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Daytona Beach, Florida I made 950 miles in less than 24 hours. Best time ever was 21 hours. I was so d@mned tired that I could never get motivated to ride another 25 miles past Daytona and then double back.    Undecided

Kenny G

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/05/16 at 22:24:59

KennyG, I do not even want to think about riding 950 miles in less that 24 hours. I've done that in a car many times and that is exhausting enough. Well, you've got tougher butt that I do! Grin Grin Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 03/05/16 at 23:17:25

SpringMan,

In recent years I don't want to ride any further than being able to see my home in the rear view mirror.

Every cycle that I owned in recent years had some kind of modification to the seat to accommodate less than iron butt.

Picture of recent changes to my S40 seat below.

Kenny G

IMG_0450_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/06/16 at 03:51:07

Getting a lot of miles on the ODO in a short period of time involves lots of highway riding.....and I just don't find that enjoyable.  The longest ride I have ever done in a day was the Moonshine Lunch Run, and I went 570 miles....my butt was so incredibly tired on the last hour of riding I just hated riding!

I would much rather ride 30-40 mph back roads....and getting 250 miles racked up takes a very long time at those speeds.  On some of the trips to NC we have been able to get that many miles in a day - but you have to ride in areas where the roads aren't packed with tourists and motorhomes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 03/06/16 at 07:20:00

On last years Texas run, I was going to ride all the way in one shot from Ft. Walton Beach, Fl to Kerrville, TX but since I was meeting up with MMR, I stopped outside of Lafeyette, La. overnight.
Of course it was raining like mad... but if it had of been good weather I could have kept going.
Stopping every 100 miles gives you stretching time, even though it adds time to your trip.
I imagine if I were to do it in one whole ride (815 miles- 11hrs 40min) it would take me a whole day to recoup Smiley and maybe some adult liquid refreshment to ease the bones....
Realistically, I would like to try it (I just did a 14 hour straight run in my truck to Illinois), but I would most likely have to stop at about the 600 mile mark.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/06/16 at 08:38:20

springman wrote on 03/05/16 at 22:24:59:
KennyG, I do not even want to think about riding 950 miles in less that 24 hours. I've done that in a car many times and that is exhausting enough. Well, you've got tougher butt that I do! Grin Grin Grin

we did over 1000 in less than 24 in my truck last year
the good thing about traffic in Austin is, when you're waiting for traffic to move, you can take your ass OUT of the seat
I did this every time we hit a red light on the run to the Sisters and the run back last year

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 03/06/16 at 09:15:10

Last September driveway to motel in Camp Verde, AZ was 394 miles on factory seat and pegs location.   With the Corbin and 4"FCs now on the bike, I figure I'll be good for an additional 100 miles a day at my comfort level 60 -65 MPH on back roads.....
One of my slightly younger neighbors recently did 1,000 miles on his BMW.. I ain't nowhere near that tough.....

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/06/16 at 10:55:51

Well, I am up and about today. Body aches a bit pretty much all over. The 2 biggest surprises are that my abs are sore, like as if I had done a bunch of sit ups and my left hand, my clutch hand hurts.

I think the inflatable seat cushion I have helps a lot. I think the biggest help to be able to do a longer ride would be a back support to lean against and I guess maybe a windscreen would help. But I've never ridden a bike with a windscreen and I am reluctant to put one on thinking it will affect my handling. Plus, I have to admit that in the Houston summer I want all the wind hitting me to help cool me off.

Yeah, I do prefer the shorter rides at slower speeds but I just wanted to find out how much saddle time I can do so if ever I plan a long trip I can have a good idea of how many miles I should plan on covering in one day. And now I also know the after effects of extended saddle time. It was an adventure. Grin

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #9 - 03/06/16 at 12:07:47

The OEM Savage 'shield doesn't have any noticeable affect "to me" as far as handling goes (including side and cross winds).  It does reduce wind fatigue and keeps the debris/bugs off.          

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #10 - 03/06/16 at 12:13:17

I did wpb,fl to Phoenix az in 52 hours once on my old yamaha triple 2600 miles. But a windscreen is a must. I did wpb to buffalo,ny straight thru a bunch of times on my old goldwing. My friends up there always said I had my backbone removed and replaced with a piece of stainless steel. Bout 10 years ago made it from my driveway to my friends up there, 1437 miles in 23hours 55 minutes on my pc800. (honda pacific coast, little goldwing) But now that I'm retired, I don't need to be in that much of a hurry. My hip buggs me now just on the 190 miles over to see my mother. I'm going to leave anything over 600 in a day to the younger guys now. I too prefer the back roads at 50 to the ss at 70.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 03/06/16 at 15:14:07

CRAZY PEOPLE ... CRAZY TALK !!!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 03/06/16 at 15:21:49

I have done two 800 mile plus days.  I went from Las Cruces, NM to east of Houston last summer which was 815 miles in a day.  In west TX, if I had an ST or FJR I would have used all of it.   Wink

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/06/16 at 16:07:25

Thanks for your comment on the windscreen Old Indian. I actually had to make a stop on my ride to Austin at one point, not for gas or for being tired but because the bugs all of sudden got bad and a big on splattered all over my face shield making it very difficult to see. I am so glad my face shield was down, it sounded like a bullet hit me when that bug hit. That would have done damage to bare skin or an eye.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 03/06/16 at 17:45:40

When I was younger, back in the 80's, I worked away from home all the time. I remember one summer I was working in South Bend IN. It was 650 miles from home. I would climb on my bike after work on a Friday and ride home. On Sunday at noon I'd climb back on and ride back. I had that trip down to a little over 9 hours and 20-40 min. depending on traffic in Chicago. Sheesh I just been an animal back in those days. I know I was in my 20's and thought I would live forever. That bike was a Shovelhead FLH.
For me a windscreen has never been optional equipment. It has always extended my riding season enormously up here in the North country. In a hail storm they're never big enough. Angry

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:23:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › Iron butt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.