Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Similar specs to our bikes from others? (Read 532 times)
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Similar specs to our bikes from others?
Reply #30 - 03/06/16 at 23:09:04

Gizzo,

The little bit that I remember of The Invasion was that their advertising stressed that they were not like our Harley and Indian riders. The mechanics in their shops wore uniforms, white shirts and blue trousers, and there was no leather to be found anywhere in the shop or showroom.

No one ever dreamed that their bikes would eventually set the world standard for manufacturing motorcycles.......

And the Germans gave us the Volkswagen......LOL

Kenny G

IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #31 - 03/06/16 at 23:22:33

I was really close on picking up an Indian Scout. If your  going for new and price, then you can take the Indian Scout 69. One of these 2 is going to be my second bike.

But for the price and to comfortably learn about bikes, I love my S40

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 03/07/16 at 05:06:10

There are a lot of bikes that offer better performance - but you have to accept a bit more weight and a different riding style.  If you have the money the Indian Scout, Yamaha Bolt, 883 Sportster, Kawasaki Vulcan S are all possible choices...the Virago S might be the most nimble one of the bunch.  If money is a bit more of an obstacle, the Suzuki SV650 and other "naked" bikes are very affordable and are not very heavy, and they can be found used and are very affordable.  The older EX500 Kawasaki looks like a sport bike - but the seating position is not very aggressive and it sits low and is comfortable.  If you can get past the looks and the fact that it will be an older bike - the Honda Pacific Coast has a very loyal following, and it has a built in trunk (I considered one but I just didn't like the looks of the rear trunk).

With a bit of work and some money - you can increase the HP and change the gearing, and make the Savage perform a lot better on the highway.  A Wiseco piston, Stage 1 or 3 cam, a little work on the cylinder head exhaust port, a Kawasaki front pulley, and a 140/90-15 rear tire will make the bike much nicer to ride at highway speeds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #33 - 03/07/16 at 07:06:04

Dave, I was looking real hard at the Pacific Coast as an older bike but couldn't get past all the plastic and what you'd have if you ever dumped it or bumped into something; God forbid!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #34 - 03/07/16 at 08:21:19

I wasn't around for the Japanese invasion but I've seen the adds
'you meet the nicest people on a Honda' etc
now they mostly make 'kill yourself' bikes and wannabe Harleys
I like the SR 400, but it needs more motor
the EX500 is indeed more comfy than it looks, and the PC is one of the best kept secrets of motorcycling, being a very good bike that gets no love due primarily to that bubble butt
I wish the true Standard would come back in a big way, but 'muricans are too obsessed with looking 'badass' while rolling on the boulevard

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #35 - 03/07/16 at 08:27:03

Art Webb wrote on 03/07/16 at 08:21:19:
I wish the true Standard would come back in a big way, but 'muricans are too obsessed with looking 'badass' while rolling on the boulevard

I'm with you here Art

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 03/07/16 at 09:19:10

Gus wrote on 03/07/16 at 07:06:04:
Dave, I was looking real hard at the Pacific Coast as an older bike but couldn't get past all the plastic and what you'd have if you ever dumped it or bumped into something; God forbid!

The Pacific Coast is a much better fit for my 30" inseam than the Gold Wing or the ST1100.  I sat on one and it fit me really nicely.  The back just looked too much like a Scooter to me, and I couldn't see any good way to expand the luggage volume beyond what fit in the built in trunk.

You are probably right.....any form of hard tipover might break quite a bit of "Tupperwear" on that bike.  I don't know if you can still buy the body parts new from Honda.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #37 - 03/07/16 at 09:57:15

OK I have to throw in my 2 cents as a PC800 owner. In 66k I have not dropped it, so no issues with the ''tupperware''. I have a couple mounting tabs broken, but I'll get around to glassing them back together someday. When you are riding it it looks fine. The locking trunk on the back is the best cargo space I've ever had on a m/c. It IS a pain when people presume it is a scooter! Passengers like the seat, compared to a little pad on the back of a harley. They are basically the station wagon of m/c's. Handy and do the job without a problem, but get no respect. Or maybe the Rodney Dangerfield of m/c's, NO RESPECT!!!
As for replacing bodywork on ALL m/c's, that is a field people with 3D printers should be jumping into. The factory replacement prices are insane!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #38 - 03/07/16 at 10:16:31

badwolf wrote on 03/07/16 at 09:57:15:
OK I have to throw in my 2 cents as a PC800 owner. In 66k I have not dropped it, so no issues with the ''tupperware''. I have a couple mounting tabs broken, but I'll get around to glassing them back together someday. When you are riding it it looks fine. The locking trunk on the back is the best cargo space I've ever had on a m/c. It IS a pain when people presume it is a scooter! Passengers like the seat, compared to a little pad on the back of a harley. They are basically the station wagon of m/c's. Handy and do the job without a problem, but get no respect. Or maybe the Rodney Dangerfield of m/c's, NO RESPECT!!!
As for replacing bodywork on ALL m/c's, that is a field people with 3D printers should be jumping into. The factory replacement prices are insane!

Agree with each and every single point of this post, they are great practical bike that people dis because of the looks
I wanted one when they came out, and I still want one, depending on if I like the way they ride, do I ever get a chance to try one out

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #39 - 03/07/16 at 11:04:16

Again on the Pacific Coast---If it had been a thumper that would have been where I folded. I'd a bought the darn thing plastic and all.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #40 - 03/07/16 at 15:06:42

If I had the money to spend the Indian Scout or the Scout 66 are 2 bikes that I would surely consider. But, not having that kind of disposable income at this time, I would definitely consider the Kawasaki Ninja 500 or the Suzuki GS500 if I wanted a bit more power and highway cruising ability. The Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 also appeals to me, but that is a good 200 lbs. heavier. It is fun to dream! Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 03/08/16 at 05:12:23

Here is a nice looking Kawasaki EX500 with low miles for $ 1,800.

This one is an older one (28 years old) -and the 1994-2009 models have some improvements that make them a bit more reliable and the 16" wheels were changed to 17" wheels which makes for more tire options.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/5450472248.html

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #42 - 03/08/16 at 07:09:35

MC prices must be higher in KY than TX, my 2007 cost me 2700, anmd was literally in mint condition, aside from needing carbs cleaned (seems to be common with EXs for sale) with only 1800 miles on it

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #43 - 03/08/16 at 10:36:14

That is a nice looking Ninja 500. I have to admit though that if I ever do pull the trigger on that I would prefer one that is not quite that old. I have seen some very nice low mileage (under 15k miles) in the Houston craigslist on occasion in the $1800 to $2500 range. But the only time I am less than happy on the S40 is on the highway, and generally I avoid the highway if at all possible. And I really do not want the temptation of going 100+ mph.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 03/08/16 at 10:50:32

Art Webb wrote on 03/08/16 at 07:09:35:
MC prices must be higher in KY than TX,

When I look at Craigslist prices...they do tend to be higher in the areas around a City, and the prices are lower in the rural areas.

And yes.....if I was going to buy an EX500.....I would want to get as new of one as I could.  Still....that one I posted is an awful nice motorcycle, and I betcha you could get it for $ 1,500 cash, and it would give you a whole lot of bang for your bucks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:18:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Similar specs to our bikes from others?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.