Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Stuck Slide?
03/03/16 at 13:08:37

Been working on the boat and trailer and let the scoot slide for a few months. Now at the beginning of Bike Week I decided to fire it up. Of course my life time contract with Murphy came into effect and the bike will fire up with the choke out but stalls as soon as the choke gets pushed in even a little bit. I've already dropped the bowl and cleaned the main jet with no change. I've a raptor in place so it's not the fuel valve, I'm guessing it's a stuck slide in the carb. Any thoughts?
 The bike ran fine before sitting, I've changed the gas and dumped some Seafoam into the tank. The bike starts right up but shuts off when the choke or throttle is moved.
 Anything else I should be checking when in the carb?
Thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stuck Slide?
Reply #1 - 03/03/16 at 13:16:28

stuck slide only affect throttle change not choke settings.

and... you've cleaned out the main when you should've done the pilot.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/03/16 at 13:30:25

good enough, I'll pull the bowl again and check the pilot jet. Thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/03/16 at 14:10:14

Yep, most likely it is the pilot jet.  They have tiny holes, and they sit a bit higher than the main jet......so as the fuel starts to evaporate and leave gunk and corrosion behind, the pilot jet is the first place to get clogged up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 03/03/16 at 15:23:52

The bowl had some crud in it and the float had a bathtub line of the same stuff, chalk another one up to ethanol gas.
 Going to get the mirror out and do the job without pulling the carb.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/03/16 at 15:49:24

loosen the hose clamps and you can twist it towards you.
and it'll go 90° if you take the top off.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 03/03/16 at 17:04:02

cleaning just the pilot jet may or may not take care of it.  It is a good place to start.  If it works you are done.

If it doesn't work then what you have to do is pull the carb and spray carb spray in where the pilot jet was as well as the air ports in the front of the bellmouth.  When you do that hold the butterfly open and watch for a squirt of spray to come up in the throat of the carb right where the butterfly touches the bottom of the throat.  There is a small hole (or holes, I don't remember how many this carb has) that feed fuel through to the throat when the butterfly is at very small openings.  When that circuit is clean you will see a small amount of spray come out of the hole(s). If that circuit is plugged it will still not run right.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/04/16 at 03:58:14

OK.....so this is another opportunity for me to show folks how obsessed I am with the crappy new fuel.

In hopes of avoiding the corrosion and carb gumming that can occur, I shut the petcock off before I get home.  I shut the fuel off when I reach the intersection at the bottom of the hill (about a mile from my house), and as I round the corner toward my driveway I can feel the bike begin to surge a bit, and by the time I pull in my drive and pull in the clutch, the bikes dies.  This method removes most of the fuel from the float bowl - so if you happen to have a string of bad weather or get busy at work......and don't get to ride for a while.....there is little fuel in your carb to go bad and start to plug things up.  The pilot jet doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the float bowl and there will still be a little fuel in there - but there will be a whole lot less and so far it has prevented any fuel problems related to a short storage period.

I don't do this while I am out riding - only on the way home when the ride is over.  It will take you a few tries to find a landmark near your home that is far enough away to allow the fuel to be used up by the time you reach home.  I am lucky that I have a driveway that is a pretty steep downward grade - so when the bike runs out of fuel I can just coast into the garage.  The slight bit of lean running is not harmful to the bike, as it is at low speed and only lasts a few seconds.  (If your carb has a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl - draining the carb before storage is the best way to go).

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 03/04/16 at 06:10:09

Dave, I'm starting to think that draining the bowl for storage is the way to go. Really getting tired of the crappy ethanol gas out there. Oh well live and learn.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/04/16 at 06:28:36

The ethanol fuel does OK in modern fuel injected systems.  They are sealed up systems and not vented to the atmosphere like a carb with a float bowl is.  Things like lawn mowers, motorcycles with carbs....any kind of carb where there is gas sitting stagnant in a vented float bowl is subject to the damage the ethanol can cause.  The issue is that the gasoline portion of the fuel evaporates - and it leaves behind the ethanol in high concentration, and that causes corrosion to aluminum parts and dissolves some rubber parts.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 03/04/16 at 06:59:59

Yep. Ever since I located a convenient station that sells 93 octane ethanol free fuel that's what goes in everything except the cars.  It costs more, but  even with a snoblower, generator, and two mowers  I don't buy enough so it really matters, compared to the amount that goes in the cars.
As far as the bike goes, I'll run the 87 octane 10% ethanol stuff in it when I'm riding it every day, but when I store it for the winter the tank gets filled with pure gasoline.

I know that none of this stuff needs 93 octane fuel but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/04/16 at 07:38:20

High octane won't hurt it.....but like you say it really isn't going to perform any better in a low compression engine.

The supply of ethanol free fuel in this area is a bit weak, and I have to drive on a 3 hour round trip to get fuel from the Countrymark COOP in Liberty, Indiana.  I haul a 55 gallon drum (or 2) and buy the fuel for the chainsaws and mowers....it is rated at 91 octane.  It has the smell and yellow color of the gasoline I remember from my youth.  I add StaBil, and with it sealed up in the drums I can use it for 2 years and it still runs fine.  There are supposed to be a few marinas in the area that carry ethanol free fuel.....it is very seasonal and I have not yet gone to see if I can get my fuel cans (or drums) near to the pumps.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 03/04/16 at 09:33:54

The stuff I'm buying is actually 91, not 93.  Brain cramp Embarrassed

It's a Fastrac station. All the local ones now have ethanol free 91.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 03/04/16 at 12:14:26

We don't have ethanol forced on us here and I never use it, but I still drain the bowl via the drain screw per Dave's description if I'm not riding it for a while. Hasn't done any harm...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 03/04/16 at 13:39:44

There are a few gas stations in the area that offer ethanol free gas, don't know ther octane but the stuff is very popular with the boating crowd in Daytona Beach and Ponce Inlet. Haven't started using it for my boat yet which is powered by a 23 year old Nissan 70hp two stroke but should. I've been using Sea Foam as an additive for the boat and keep the gas fresh.
 Getting back to the bike, I pulled the carb and removed the pilot jet and gave ev erything a good blasting with carb cleaner but the problem is still there.
 I got a little rough on it and was able to get the engine running at over 3500rpm but as soon as the rpms dropped below 3000 it would shut off with a lot of pops and crackles. The bike still runs at idle with the choke all the way out but as soon as I move the throttle or choke it shuts off. Had to walk away from it, wasn't getting anywhere, didn't want to break anything and decided to get back on it tomorrow.
 I'l pull the carb again and give it a complete cleaning, didn't pull the slide this time around, any ideas as to what to look for? I might drop down a jet size from a 155 main to 152.5 and go back to the stock pilot jet which is what was in the carb before and ran well with the stage one cam.
I'm a bit puzzled with this one.
Thanks for all the help so far guys Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:32:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck Slide?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.