Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Stuck Slide?
Reply #15 - 03/04/16 at 20:52:39

oldNslow wrote on 03/04/16 at 09:33:54:
The stuff I'm buying is actually 91, not 93.  Brain cramp Embarrassed

Is it not available in 87 octane?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #16 - 03/05/16 at 06:38:18

The only ethanol free we have around here is 87 but it is at about half the stations so it's not a problem to find.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #17 - 03/05/16 at 07:23:32

I am totally on board with Dave.  I do a combination of all of those things.  If you can find ethanol free (around here they call it Non-Oxy) and is only legal in small engines, off road and collector vehicles and motorcycles.  That stuff is the best because it is the closest you can get to the old good stuff.  it is usually 91 or 92 octane.  it has become very common in the last 2 years.  Then depending on the engine and the amount of use I run the carb dry.  All lawnmowers and snowblowers are run dry every time.  My two stroke bikes I would as lean running is death to one of those and depending on the 4 stroke bike and the amount I ride I may or may not run it dry.

It has been documented that todays gas is only supposed to be stored for less than 3 weeks and I think I have even seen 2 weeks.  (that is not talking about carbs but general gas can storage and use.  Kind of tells you how bad it is.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #18 - 03/05/16 at 08:03:30

My yard isn't big enough to run my mower dry, so i just run it once in a while, even in winter  Grin
here in my area, pure gas is only available at one source, and they're understandably high priced, so i either ride at least every 2 weeks (at least 10 miles) or drain the carb, or I did, with my S40

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #19 - 03/05/16 at 13:18:34

Has anybody tried Avgas in a savage?

It doesn't deteriorate like auto gas. However it does cost more. Undecided

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/06/16 at 03:32:15

norm92de wrote on 03/05/16 at 13:18:34:
Has anybody tried Avgas in a savage?

It doesn't deteriorate like auto gas. However it does cost more. Undecided

Yes, I have used Avgas 100LL in my chainsaws and yard equipment for a year before I found a source for ethanol free fuel.  The Avgas has lead in it, and the LL stands for Low Lead....which is misleading.  The 100LL has about 2 grams of lead per liter, and that is as much lead as the Premium auto fuels ever had.  The LL comes from the fact that some high performance aviation fuels used to have 2-3 times that amount....the kind of fuel they use in the piston engines of the WW2 fighter planes.

The big problem with Avgas is that it s not really "gasoline" - but is blended from pretrochemicals.  This is great as the Avgas never deteriorates and when it evaporates - it doesn't corrode anything or leave any varnish behind.  The bad thing is that it runs too rich in an engine adjusted for pump gas.....so to run properly you need to rejet the engine to run Avgas properly - then if you put in pumpgas the engine will be running too lean.

I keep a 5 gallon can of Avgas, and when I am going put some of my equipment away for the winter.  Some of my equipment can't be drained of fuel easily - so I pump the pump gas out of the tank and add a small amount of Avgas in the tank....and then run the engine long enough to get the Avgas into the carbs (I dump the fuel in the tanks and run the mower and chainsaws out of fuel).  The Honda ST1100 has a fuel pump, and the carbs are impossible to get to the drains - so I empty the tank of pump gas, then I add the Avgas and run the bike until I can smell the Avgas coming out the exhaust (ride around the block), then I disconnect the fuel pump and run the engine until the engine stops when the carbs are empty).

I keep a small amount of Avgas in my generator so that it will always run in an emergency - but switch over to pump gas as the generator is put into long-term service.  We had a power outage that lasted 3 days a few years ago!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #21 - 03/06/16 at 09:08:29

That about the AvGas explains something to me
When I had my rebel, it ran pretty bad on pump gas, lean surge, needed forever to warm up, etc
Using AvGas, it would light off with zero choke, run with no signs of leanness, and got better gas mileage (not enough to make up the price difference, but better) and a better top speed as well
My S40 OTOH, did not like it, no better MPG, no more top end, only a slight improvement in transition
Thanks Dave,. I learned at least one thing today, life is good

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #22 - 03/06/16 at 13:49:49

I remember running a Yamaha two stroke on Avgas years ago.

It didn't need warm up at all and seemed to run better. I didn't check fuel consumption because I got the gas free.  Grin

I may try a tank or two in the Suzuki since it is set up lean from the factory anyway. I hate ethanol I have seen what it can do to fuel systems. To say nothing of Lear Jet windshields.

We set up an old Lear windshield and put ethanol on the surface. It ate the plastic up! And that is what we used to keep ice off it. However, the slipstream prevented damage but you had to make sure there were no dribbles etc.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #23 - 03/06/16 at 15:12:31

100LL is all i run in all my toys .the trick for using it is adding 1 gal of boat/rec gas to 4 gal LL i found this out during hurricane charley.my genny would not start my well pump until i learned that it is lower in btu,s and is not 100 octain   ,more like 89 if the same method of testing car gas is used .the s40 loves it and the ton of lead is great for the valves/seats. .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 03/07/16 at 07:07:19

Just for those folks who like to "know".

Avgas 100LL is 70% Alkylate, 15% Isopentane and 15% Toluene.  There are also additives that include Lead for Knock resistance, a blue dye to identify that it is 100LL (other grades are died green or red), Antioxidants to help keep the fuel fresh and reduce corrosion, and Scavenging additives to help reduce the lead fowling of spark plugs and combustion chambers.

I used Avgas 100LL in my chainsaws for a year when I couldn't find a good source of ethanol free fuel.  The saws were adjusted to run on pump gas - and when I switched over to Avgas the saws would run too rich and dropped about 1,000 rpm at full throttle....once the carb was leaned out they ran fine...although I don't believe they ran as well as they do on pump gas even after the adjustment.  Now I just use "fresh" pump gas and make sure it is never more than a couple months old.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #25 - 03/07/16 at 13:31:23

Finally got the carb back out and torn down a second time. Ended up finding a vacumn leak, guess epoxy did not work that well sealing the screw I used to plug the port that ran the petc0cok and what everybody said to look for, a plugged pilot jet.
 Dropped my main down from a 155 to a 152.5 just because it seemed a little rich and I was in there already. The bike started right up and is running great.  Grin
Life just got better.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 03/07/16 at 13:39:22

Ed L. wrote on 03/07/16 at 06:42:50:
I  live only 10 miles South of Daytona so it's a regular event for me but my bike isn't running right now. I try to get to Main Street and Cabbage Patch every year but might just be driving not riding this year Angry.
 Let me know if your making it to Bike Week, maybe we can hook up.
Ed
 Update, got the bike running, It's all good

So.....you are riding to Daytona!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #27 - 03/07/16 at 15:25:46

Yes I'm riding to Daytona!!!! Main Street, Destination Daytona in Ormond and Cabbage Patch are on the list. There's also Beach Street, the speedway where you can get factory rides all day long, Deland and a whole lot more to see.  weather is going to be great all week, life's good Wink

Just realized that the 155 main helped mask the vacumn leak over the last year of riding. I was getting a lot of pops and crackles along with a deep blue pipe, all a sign of a lean condition which i thought was caused by the stage one cam installed with the rejet. Instead it was the vacumn leak getting worse. I bet the scoot will really kick it now.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck Slide?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.