Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kickstand Cutoff / Neutral Switch issues (Read 39 times)
JPSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ridgewood, NJ
Kickstand Cutoff / Neutral Switch issues
03/03/16 at 12:35:29

Hi all,

I have searched the forum, but did not find anything that matches this exact issue.  I apologize in advance if it has been answered, but if it has, can someone please direct me to the post?

I just picked up a 98 Savage w/ about 9400 miles on it.  The green neutral light doesn't ever come on (I don't think it's the bulb).  The bike will not start unless the kickstand is up.  Once running, even if she's in neutral, she'll turn off if I put the kickstand down.   Angry Angry

I already tried to jump the plug on the left hand grip, with no success.  Does anyone know if this is due to the kickstand cutoff switch or if it is the neutral switch?  Also, are those part of the same mechanism?  If anyone has fixed this, do you have any pictures or info on how to access/test these parts?

Thank you very much!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Kickstand Cutoff / Neutral Switch issues
Reply #1 - 03/03/16 at 14:00:27

It could be that the switch for the neutral light is not working - or the wire has become disconnected or broken.  The wire that comes out the bottom/back of the engine on the right side near the oil sight window is the neutral wire.  As you get under the tank the black covering will go away and the wire will be blue - it connects to the harness under the gas tank on the right side of the frame.  You need to confirm the wire provides a ground when the bike is in neutral.

Without the blue ground wire or switch working and providing a ground - the safety circuit won't recognize the bike is ever in neutral....if that neutral light doesn't come on the safety system believes the bike is in gear.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Kickstand Cutoff / Neutral Switch issues
Reply #2 - 03/03/16 at 15:02:00

I agree with Dave, most likely the neutral switch is bad, or hooked up wrong. ( disconnected) But if that doesn't seem to be it, I had a similar problem, the bike would drive then die till I went back to neutral. Start up on the side of the road then die when I put it in gear, NOT nice 120 miles from home. Turned out the neutral and kickstand switches are interconnected and the wire runs down tween the battery box and air cleaner on the drive belt side. They wiggled out and rubbed on the belt and wore thru. Had to patch and re-rout the wires and all as been fine since.  Just 3 bolts to pull off the drive pulley cover to check.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:28:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand Cutoff / Neutral Switch issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.