Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suzy Won't Start.... (Read 155 times)
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Suzy Won't Start....
03/03/16 at 12:06:04

So this video is from this morning. I have been trying to get her to start since last week without much luck. Here's the important info:

1. I have been starting it up and letting it run in the garage for 4-5 min every other week throughout the winter (in PA).

2. About January I forgot to start it up for about 5-6 weeks; then late Feb I thought I would give it a start, and this has been the result.

SYMPTOMS:

Here is a video showing my trying to start it this morning.
https://youtu.be/_-rOUfBELmc

1. At first start it seems like it has potential, but then dies out. This is followed by constant clicking and flickering lights.
2. Any immediate attempt only gets the clicks and not the sound of the starter and motor getting compression.

I left the battery to charge for a day or so with the Battery Tender until it was solid green. Same deal.

I ordered a new Bikemaster battery, filled it, let it sit, then charged it for about 30 hrs, until it was solid green, 3 times over.

This video is with the new battery fully charged, didn't seem too much different than with the older battery. I bought a multimeter tonight to start testing stuff out. Maybe need to replace the gas? Spark plug was just changed last summer so don't think it's that.

Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Suzy Won't Start....
Reply #1 - 03/03/16 at 12:25:52

Not enough battery.

Check cables from battery for good connection.  Don't forge the heavy ground wire going to the engine.

Take them to an Auto Zone or some where and have them tested.
It could be your charger isn't working properly.

Also, you could try jumping it from a car battery.  BUT, the car should NOT BE RUNNING when you do that, as the car alternator can put out too much current for the bikes electrical system.
Car off, hook up jumper cables, start bike, disconnect jumper cables.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/03/16 at 12:47:39

youzguyz wrote on 03/03/16 at 12:25:52:
Not enough battery.

Check cables from battery for good connection.  Don't forge the heavy ground wire going to the engine.

Take them to an Auto Zone or some where and have them tested.
It could be your charger isn't working properly.

Also, you could try jumping it from a car battery.  BUT, the car should NOT BE RUNNING when you do that, as the car alternator can put out too much current for the bikes electrical system.
Car off, hook up jumper cables, start bike, disconnect jumper cables.

I am pretty sure the terminals are connected properly, but I am not familiar with where the ground wire to the engine would be. Any pics or tips handy?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 03/03/16 at 12:54:50

The ground wire should be attached to the engine behind the oil level eyeball window on the right side. A side cover bolt is used for the connection.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #4 - 03/03/16 at 20:17:47

There might be an electric diagram in the Technical section fo the forum. But if you tell me what you need, I have a factory book and will be happy to scan any pages.

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 03/03/16 at 20:31:58

You also appear to be opening the throttle when you attempt to start, if the bike and carb are relatively stock you shouldn't do this even with a good battery.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/04/16 at 04:15:33

All the symptoms in the video suggest a battery that is low on voltage, and can only crank the engine over slowly for one or two revolutions.  You need to get your new battery tested and see if it is good.  I bought a battery that was brand new and didn't last for more than a week.....so new batteries aren't always good.  And you need to get a volt meter to test the battery voltage at rest - and while the engine is cranking.

Also....starting the bike up and letting it run for 4-5 minutes is not good for the battery - or the engine.  The charging system will not be able to recharge the battery in that short of time, and the engine will build up a lot of condensation in the oil from the cold start - and the engine will never get warm enough to evaporate the water out of the oil.  And....running on the side stand is a possible cause of premature wear to the exhaust cam lobe and rocker.  (I bought a bike that the ownder did exactly what you are doing....and the cam wore out with only 3,800 miles on the bike).

And I agree with jcstokes.....when you pull out the enricher valve (choke), that circuit only works when the throttle is closed and the idle circuit is active.  When you open the throttle the butterfly moves away from the holes for the pilot circuit in the throttle body, and the engine will not get any fuel flow.  When you first try to start the bike and the engine is cold, pull out the choke and leave the throttle closed.....and then hit the starter button.  Some engines don't need the choke to start in warm weather - but you should still try to start the engine with the throttle in the closed position....or just slightly open - never with the throttle grip fully open unless you believe the engine is flooded with fuel.  

Rocker.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/04/16 at 20:47:28

Dave wrote on 03/04/16 at 04:15:33:
All the symptoms in the video suggest a battery that is low on voltage, and can only crank the engine over slowly for one or two revolutions.  You need to get your new battery tested and see if it is good.  I bought a battery that was brand new and didn't last for more than a week.....so new batteries aren't always good.  And you need to get a volt meter to test the battery voltage at rest - and while the engine is cranking.

Also....starting the bike up and letting it run for 4-5 minutes is not good for the battery - or the engine.  The charging system will not be able to recharge the battery in that short of time, and the engine will build up a lot of condensation in the oil from the cold start - and the engine will never get warm enough to evaporate the water out of the oil.  And....running on the side stand is a possible cause of premature wear to the exhaust cam lobe and rocker.  (I bought a bike that the ownder did exactly what you are doing....and the cam wore out with only 3,800 miles on the bike).

And I agree with jcstokes.....when you pull out the enricher valve (choke), that circuit only works when the throttle is closed and the idle circuit is active.  When you open the throttle the butterfly moves away from the holes for the pilot circuit in the throttle body, and the engine will not get any fuel flow.  When you first try to start the bike and the engine is cold, pull out the choke and leave the throttle closed.....and then hit the starter button.  Some engines don't need the choke to start in warm weather - but you should still try to start the engine with the throttle in the closed position....or just slightly open - never with the throttle grip fully open unless you believe the engine is flooded with fuel.  

Thanks for the help and info everyone!

Dave,
I went and got a multimeter yesterday as I didn't have one. I checked all connections, and inspected solenoid to decomp action after taking the engine cover off. I then went to check the battery with the meter; but I had working the start button and battery for a bit at this point so I was getting lower than normal readings.

I am going to let recharge for a bit and attempt it again and place a video of the results. From my understanding (internet research) I should look for the following?

1. A resting voltage of 13-13.5v
2. A slight drop when I turn the key.
3. A drop in voltage when starting (shouldn't dip below 9.5v)
4. An increase when increasing rpm (voltage varies to +14v max)

This sound accurate?

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/05/16 at 07:26:29

Video of voltage test.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZnvV14GuNs

Test results.

Standing Charge 13.07v
Key on 11.7v (lowest reading)
Start engaged 5.04v (lowest reading)

Guessing there is an issue with the battery. Now this was my first time installing acid into a battery as it came dry. It has 2 sets of 6 fuel pods to fill the battery. The instructions were not clear that both were to be used. I found some videos of people filling the same type of battery and they only used 1 set so I assumed that is what I should do and the other was an "extra". Could this be the problem?

If so, can I just unhook the battery and open the plug caps and insert the other acid pod?

Or is there something else that could be the culprit?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/05/16 at 07:41:37

For whatever reason, you're engine is not cranking...
Low battery, poor ground connection, etc...

I'd try a jump from a car battery. (car engine not running)... positive to positive, car negative to ground on Savage engine. (you can connect the positive to the starter relay under the seat if it's easier.  just trace the positive cable from the battery to the relay and connect there)...
Only crank the starter for 5 seconds, then let it rest for 30 seconds...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/05/16 at 07:58:22

Bob, there are usually marks on the battery case for 'minimum' and 'maximum' levels, is the battery acid between those marks? if not, add acid
If so, the battery is likely bad, new or not
and almost 2 volt drop is unusual Ithink, and a drop to 5v cranking is definitely too low

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 03/05/16 at 15:11:26

Well there's your problem!

You most likely only have a battery that is half full of acid.

The battery should have had directions with it......every one I have purchased had a single 6 pack of acid - and directions on how to add the acid and charge the battery before use.  If it is a gell or glass mat battery, there is no level line on the battery, as the acid will be absorbed into the media and there will not be any liquid to see.

The good news is that you didn't take the bike apart looking for a problem that didn't exist.  It is sad how many folks believe their battery is fine as the battery has worked just fine for the last 3 years- so they start taking their carb or wiring harness apart to look for a problem that isn't there!  And several times we have had folks get new batteries that have failed right from the start...I had a new battery once that failed after 2 weeks of use.

« Last Edit: 03/06/16 at 04:53:00 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/07/16 at 16:17:04

Yeah it was confusing, the directions for the battery were generic and shown a tank of acid and a hose to fill, not like the pods they had sent. Also this battery is black through and through, there was no "fill line" or any kind of indicator as to fill. So I erred on the side of caution and only put one in.

In the meantime, I had charged the "old battery" up for about 30-40 hours and tested it. Worked perfect! Seems I was just impatient the first charge and didn't give it long enough to charge.

I am going to contact the manufacturer directly tomorrow and find out whether I should have put the other pod in the battery, or if it was an "extra". However I don't see why they would send extraneous sulfuric acid through the mail.

Rode all day today and can't wait for it to get a bit warmer as it was just warm enough to not start shaking due to the cold. Tomorrow should be 70+ so it's on!

Just got my Harley Dyna muffler in the mail today as my baffle blew out on my Jardine last summer, and a Jardine slash cut debaffled is LOUD!!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/07/16 at 17:16:20

bobthekerr wrote on 03/07/16 at 16:17:04:
.. a Jardine slash cut debaffled is LOUD!!!

A Jardine, debaffled is called a megaphone... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bobthekerr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/08/16 at 06:51:55

Serowbot wrote on 03/07/16 at 17:16:20:
bobthekerr wrote on 03/07/16 at 16:17:04:
.. a Jardine slash cut debaffled is LOUD!!!

A Jardine, debaffled is called a megaphone... Grin Grin Grin...

Yes, a megaphone that screams PULL ME OVER, PULL ME OVER!!! Grin Shocked Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:20:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suzy Won't Start....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.