Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Microsoft in process of killing drivers, etc. (Read 110 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Microsoft in process of killing drivers, etc.
03/03/16 at 10:09:51

Microsoft, having announced they will begin deleting any driver or software that conflicts with the Microsoft standard bits and pieces has now REPEATEDLY scrapped my utility softwares and my AMD Catalyst Driver for my video card.

They are killing stuff in my Linux Directory as well as in my Windows directory and are replacing it with Microsoft brand bits and pieces that do not do NEARLY the same level of good functionality.

When your monitor doesn't work well and your printer doesn't work well you are supposed to get all pissed off about it and GO BUY A BRAND NEW WIN 10 PC.      

Angry

AIN'T HAPPENING, MS .......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Microsoft in process of killing drivers, etc.
Reply #1 - 03/03/16 at 11:39:02

Wow, had me worried there. I thought you meant they were shooting at people in cars. Grin

Good thing I have a motorcycle. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 03/04/16 at 07:41:27

springman wrote on 03/03/16 at 11:39:02:
Wow, had me worried there. I thought you meant they were shooting at people in cars. Grin

Don't laugh ... that is next !   Cool

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #3 - 03/04/16 at 07:49:17

LANCER wrote on 03/04/16 at 07:41:27:
springman wrote on 03/03/16 at 11:39:02:

Don't laugh ... that is next !   Cool

Not "Next"!!!  Long standing practice around this neck of the woods.... Shocked

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/04/16 at 08:46:08

I guess that means don't go cruising around central New Mexico. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #5 - 03/04/16 at 10:47:02

springman wrote on 03/04/16 at 08:46:08:
I guess that means don't go cruising around central New Mexico. Grin

YEP!!!! Tex-Ass chicken rustlers will be required to show passports and visas to enter...Oklahoma and Louisiana are enacting similar laws as I understand it.... Cool  

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/05/16 at 07:40:06

And here I was thinking of a trip to Carlsbad caverns one fine day
Oh well, we got caverns here in Texas, too

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/05/16 at 08:27:31

Ain't America grand?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 03/05/16 at 19:15:18

OF, I got a larger "window" saying  "Get Windows Ten, please wait". I turned it off before waiting,

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #9 - 03/05/16 at 20:36:51

Well, I've got one laptop that Windows can no longer mess with, although it was running Windows Vista and is not eligible for a Win 10 upgrade.

I had been dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu for a long time, and hadn't booted back into Vista for a few months. I was running 32-bit Ubuntu and the Chrome browser was complaining that support for 32-bit Chrome would be ending.

I backed up my /home directory to a usb external drive using the built-in deja-dup application. I also booted into Windows and backed up my data files in the Windows partition using an old program called Karen's Replicator.

I did a fresh install of 64-bit Ubuntu from a bootable usb stick, using the entire disk for Ubuntu. Goodbye Windows partition. I then used deja-dup to restore my home directory. The install and restore was done within an hour. I reinstalled the Chrome (not Chromium) browser, updated LibreOffice to v5 and reinstalled the Wine Windows emulator and a game that I like to play that runs under Wine.

All my date files and app settings came back with the /home restore, thanks to Linux keeping all my data, user config files and settings in my /home directory.

Two hours later, I had my complete system installed and data files restored. If I was rebuilding using Windows, I would have still been sitting in patch update hell for many more hours.

As I need any document, picture and media files that were on my Windows partition, I will simply copy them across from the backup on my external drive. Easy-peasy, since linux can read Windows file systems.

Granted, this is not my main computer. It is used mostly for Web browsing and some games and document creation while sitting in front of the TV. However, it can do everything I need it for.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #10 - 03/06/16 at 07:32:12

I was using my little vista 14" laptop to experiment with Linux 15 and 16 and could do a lot of things needed for just browsing, picture viewing, and document storage.
I hadn't tried any programs for video editing or office documentation, before I got a boot error... got mad and dumped the whole thing... come to find out, I think it was a hard drive error and not Linux, because a month later the drive crashed.
Well, I reinstalled my vista (took two days) and am using it now for my wireless D-Link security system (only 3 cameras at the moment). I am wondering if wine would run the D-cam software, since it is already loaded on the windows side, I might be able to just "link" it.
I believe I did a drag and drop on a couple of games I was playing doing that process (its been about 8 months so my memory fails).
I do believe I had to use firefox browser because of the 32 bit non-support thing. I am thinking of doing the dual boot thing again so I guess I will find out Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #11 - 03/06/16 at 11:40:38

I'm nowhere near a Wine expert, so I can't tell you what works under Wine and what doesn't. I know Apple itunes has issues. That's one reason I'm keeping a Windows box around, so I can back up my iphone to a local computer.

I generally use Firefox instead of Chrome. The dropping of support for 32-bit Chrome was just a good excuse to rebuild the laptop as a Linux-only device.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:32:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft in process of killing drivers, etc.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.