Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Carb rebuild ??
Reply #15 - 03/04/16 at 20:49:41

verslagen1 wrote on 03/03/16 at 19:05:46:
Kris01 wrote on 03/03/16 at 18:57:33:
'bot, ya think carb cleaner would hurt the diaphragm?

yes

Thought so. Thanks.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 03/05/16 at 08:38:45

gizzo wrote on 03/04/16 at 12:05:52:
Ok, fine. But I've never used, or seen chem dip and wouldn't know if it attacks rubber parts or gaskets or diaphragms. But I know the other stuff works and its safe for rubber parts, so that's the only product iI would suggest. If you guys have something better and cheaper available, that's fantastic.
Dunno about the chem dip but the yamalube is diluted to make about 3 litres of product, so you get a fair bit to work with. And only need a plastic tub so that's no biggie.

Reply #16 - Today at 08:36:24 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote Modify Remove  Oh, didn't realize you had to dilute it
that actually makes the cost about equal
Yes, chem dip eats rubber parts, as does carb cleaner, but you're supposed to get all those out of the carb before dipping it
Chem dip was around long before Yamalube, and has had a good rep since before I was born, so since that's what I was raised with, that's what I use
I've only heard 2 people talk about yamalube, so i'm leary of it, but that's not a surprise, as I also don't fully trust Hydrogen peroxide
it doesn't sting, so how can it be lethal to germs
That's probably why I don't trust the yam stuff 'it doesn't eat rubber, how can it be lethal to varnish'
Maybe I should be more open minded and give it a try, once my Chem dip is no longer good
I can always use the Chem Dip can to store / use the yamalube stuff  Grin

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #17 - 03/05/16 at 08:40:32

Art Webb wrote on 03/05/16 at 08:38:45:
gizzo wrote on 03/04/16 at 12:05:52:
Ok, fine. But I've never used, or seen chem dip and wouldn't know if it attacks rubber parts or gaskets or diaphragms. But I know the other stuff works and its safe for rubber parts, so that's the only product iI would suggest. If you guys have something better and cheaper available, that's fantastic.
Dunno about the chem dip but the yamalube is diluted to make about 3 litres of product, so you get a fair bit to work with. And only need a plastic tub so that's no biggie.

Oh, didn't realize you had to dilute it
that actually makes the cost about equal
Yes, chem dip eats rubber parts, as does carb cleaner, but you're supposed to get all those out of the carb before dipping it
Chem dip was around long before Yamalube, and has had a good rep since before I was born, so since that's what I was raised with, that's what I use
I've only heard 2 people talk about yamalube, so i'm leary of it, but that's not a surprise, as I also don't fully trust Hydrogen peroxide
it doesn't sting, so how can it be lethal to germs
That's probably why I don't trust the yam stuff 'it doesn't eat rubber, how can it be lethal to varnish'
Maybe I should be more open minded and give it a try, once my Chem dip is no longer good
I can always use the Chem Dip can to store / use the yamalube stuff  Grin

IP Logged
way2fastmichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/06/16 at 12:05:57

ok one other question, if my breather box had a lot of fuel in it, i saw somewhere that said i may have fuel in the engine case, if so how do i confirm that and if so does it need to come out. also best way to do that. thanks. big learning curve. but having a lot of fun with this little bike. and for some reason i cant get my pictures to load up. i want to show her to yall.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #19 - 03/06/16 at 12:22:33

It would be pretty safe to assume there is fuel in the oil, and to change it to be on the safe side. It's not a big expense and maybe it's due anyway? Take the oil filler cap off and find out if the oil smells like fuel.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/07/16 at 04:02:25

way2fastmichael wrote on 03/06/16 at 12:05:57:
ok one other question, if my breather box had a lot of fuel in it, i saw somewhere that said i may have fuel in the engine case, if so how do i confirm that and if so does it need to come out. also best way to do that. thanks. big learning curve. but having a lot of fun with this little bike. and for some reason i cant get my pictures to load up. i want to show her to yall.

If you have the stock vacuum petcock....and had fuel in the air box - that is an indication that your petcock diaphragm is leaking and letting fuel flow down the vacuum line.  The fuel then can either enter the air box, or enter the intake valve and flow past the rings into the crankcase (or both).

You can look at the oil level and see if it is too high, you can take the oil fill cap off and smell for gas - or for $ 6.00 you can drain it out and put in 2 quarts of Rotella T and not have to worry about it.

You should also do something about your petcock....either rebuild the stock one if you like the vacuum petcock and the potential problems that go with it.......or put on a genuine Yamaha Raptor Petcock.  If you buy  a Raptor be careful not to buy the Chinese copies - look for the white Yamaha box and the part number  5LP-24500-01-00.  If the seller doesn't state that it is a genuine Yamaha part...find somebody else to buy it from.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:16:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb rebuild ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.