Send Topic Print
Carb rebuild ?? (Read 185 times)
way2fastmichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb rebuild ??
03/02/16 at 17:07:45

Hey guy, I'm in the tear down to a bobber build. I have the carb off and was wanting to do a rebuild of it. Any one know of a kit I can use,part numbers?? Also wanting to maybe do the pet thingy upgrade just not sure if I want to have to turn it on and off all the time.
its a 1999 ls650 [img][/img]

« Last Edit: 03/02/16 at 21:30:31 by way2fastmichael »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Carb rebuild ??
Reply #1 - 03/02/16 at 17:55:01

Whats wrong with it that makes you need to rebuild it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 03/02/16 at 18:24:01

These carbs are really basic. You really only need to clean it thoroughly and it should be good for many, many thousands of miles.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
way2fastmichael
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/02/16 at 21:22:17

ok cool, so what do i do to clean it. i bought the bike and it was running, i rode it a little. parked it and about a month later could not get it to start.
smelled  a lot of gas, opened up breather box and had about a inch of gas in it.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 03/02/16 at 21:32:53

Go through the tech section. It's very informative. Your exact problem has come up numerous times. The petcock is a known failure. That may be your problem.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 03/02/16 at 21:54:08

You are definitely due for a Raptor pet...
Turning it off when you park is PPP,... but I only turn it off, if I'm parking in an enclosed space, or pulling the tank...
...(it will only be a problem, if the floats get stuck,... and I prefer it to leak while parked rather than while running)...

Carb rebuild is easy,... and needs no parts.  Just disassemble, clean, and reassemble...
Remove grit from the floatbowl and seat... and run a thin wire through all the passages you can find.. (guitar strings, or welding gauges, work well)... also, spray carb cleaner everywhere, especially on the slide (it can collect a putty-like slime, that interferes with smooth operation)...
...since you have fuel in the filter,.. pull the floats, and shake them, to see if they have any fuel in them... also drop them in a cup of liquid, and watch for bubbles...
3 reasons for fuel in the filter... leaky float, bad float needle or seat,... or bad vacuum petcock... with the Savage, it's usually the pet...

External screws can be a booger... once you get them out, consider replacing with Allen heads...

When doing carb work,.. don't think of removing screws as getting to the job,... removing the screws... is the job...
Be careful,... and be patient...
Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #6 - 03/03/16 at 00:10:47

for cleaning do that
SuzukiSavage.com › General Category › Technical Documents/Reference › Carburetor cleanup

name is Carburetor cleanup Island Style

It help me allot
check for wear parts and so on Wink

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 03/03/16 at 18:57:33

'bot, ya think carb cleaner would hurt the diaphragm?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/03/16 at 19:05:46

Kris01 wrote on 03/03/16 at 18:57:33:
'bot, ya think carb cleaner would hurt the diaphragm?

yes

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 03/03/16 at 21:04:13

Carb cleaner will hurt ANY of the rubber parts, so will the dip, never ever ever ever get any on any of the rubber parts

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 03/04/16 at 00:51:55

One more time: yamalube carb dip. Its the best and doesn't dissolve the plastic or rubber bits. You can throw the whole thing in there if you like. But works best if you've disassembled the carb.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/04/16 at 08:33:05

It also costs 2x as much as Chem Dip  Wink

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 03/04/16 at 08:45:12

And? Sometimes its worth paying the extra for something that works properly, the first time. Plus, the yamalube stuff can be stored in a suitable container and used over and over. Just my 2c, and I only mention it because I've used it and it works.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/04/16 at 09:11:43

Chem dip works too, if you do the work properly, and is already in a sealed container you can use multiple times, with a dip basket to put the small parts in so you don't have to fish them out
I have a can of it now I've done like 8 carb cleanings with, no fuss, no muss, and always does the job for me the first time
So why pay 2x the price for less than 1/2 the product, and have to find a suitable container, and a basket to dip with, at extra coast too?
just my 2c

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #14 - 03/04/16 at 12:05:52

Ok, fine. But I've never used, or seen chem dip and wouldn't know if it attacks rubber parts or gaskets or diaphragms. But I know the other stuff works and its safe for rubber parts, so that's the only product iI would suggest. If you guys have something better and cheaper available, that's fantastic.
Dunno about the chem dip but the yamalube is diluted to make about 3 litres of product, so you get a fair bit to work with. And only need a plastic tub so that's no biggie.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb rebuild ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.