Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Should I keep her or let her go?

Keep her! She'll never let you down!  
  4 (66.6%)
Let her go, she shouldn't play second fiddle.  
  2 (33.3%)

Total votes: 6
« Created by: chzeckmate on: 03/01/16 at 14:14:49 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Should I keep it? (Read 183 times)
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Re: Should I keep it?
03/01/16 at 14:14:49

Should I keep my S40 is the question I'm wrestling with now.  I have a sentimental attachment to it, but I'm finding that my new bike has all my attention now.  I haven't ridden the S40 in over a week now and when I hop on my CBR I can see the S40 there giving me puppy dog eyes.  I'm going to take it out for awhile and give it some love today, but I'm really only doing it to keep it purring.  I tried to give it to my wife, but she doesn't want it.  She wants a sportbike now that I'm riding one again.  I want to keep it for it's sentimental value, but everytime I look at it as I'm getting on my other bike, I'm saying, "you deserve a better owner."  

What do you guys say?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #1 - 03/01/16 at 14:16:22

I'd wait a while before you make the decision, I didn't ride mine for a while after I got the 500 Ninja, but I wound up back on it
If looking at it bothers you that much, you can store it at my place  Wink
I'll even take it out for some exercise once a week or so  Grin

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/01/16 at 14:34:16

Agreed.  The new bike always get more love at my house too.  But sometimes after the new wears off I can think more objectively.  I've regretted selling too quickly more than once.  

Maybe eventually your savage could become a cafe project or such  Wink

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 03/01/16 at 16:51:19

Well, if in the past you ever wanted to change it up... now would be the time...
And then it would be a "new" bike again Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 03/01/16 at 18:11:59

The poll wording is a little erroneous, they can, and do let people down. It's probably budgetary, if you feel you can afford to keep it and REGULARLY exercise it then do so, if not, it might have to go.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
chzeckmate
Serious Thumper

Be the person your
dog thinks you are

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/01/16 at 18:50:54

I took out the Cabbage tonight and rode about 40 miles.  It sure feels weird jumping from one to the other.  The very dominant positioning of the sportbike to the laid back position of the cruiser.  

For the first 15 to 20 miles the S40 was like hooking up with an old girlfriend...familiar, exciting, you know just where to tickler her.  But then, after about twenty miles it was like remembering why you broke up with her in the first place...noisy, an uncompromising mind of her own, too much attitude.  The Honda is so refined and well engineered, like meeting the girl you know you're going to marry someday.

I hadn't given any thought to doing a cafe or scrambler project because my time is being divided across too many other things right now. I might take Art Webb's advice and have a buddy of mine keep it for awhile and ride and maintain it.  He had a Harley Electra Glide Classic, but recent financial issues made him sell.  I think he'd be happy to hang onto it for awhile.

If I did decide to sell her I wonder how much I should list it for.  You guys have seen photos and you know the attention I've given her.  She's a 2005, has new tires and brakes and has 14k on the odo.  What do you think?

'05 S40, dyna muffler, rejet, high flow filter, Mobil 1 Racing 4T, Shinko 230 set with 140/90 rear, raptor, seat lift, LED running lights/signals, tach, reversed risers, homemade MR10 Lexan windscreen
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/01/16 at 19:00:08

unfortunately, mods on a bike = no higher value, most riders who want a custom bike want it customized to their taste, not someone else's, and a bunch of buyers will look at every mod as evidence of possible poor quality work
We on the forum know you do good work, but if I didn't know you from Adam I'd likely not offer more than book value, and maybe not that, without going over the bike VERY carefully
Yes, I've bought cool looking bikes in the past that bit me in the tush, and I remember that every time I see mods, and every time a seller brags about how fast his bike is, the price goes down
just my .02
I do very much like the idea of loaning her to your friend (maybe with an option to buy at a fair price when he gets back on his feet, if he wants) so long as he is responsible and trustworthy (and I doubt you'd even consider it if he wasn't)

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #7 - 03/01/16 at 20:42:25

From personal experience I can say that there is truth in the old saying, "Act in haste. Repent in leisure".       I'm STILL kicking myself for selling the Norton, and that was 40 years ago.  Embarrassed

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/01/16 at 21:16:05

I second that emotion. Take your time. If you need to get rid of it, you will eventually know.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #9 - 03/01/16 at 23:44:58

I can only relay my own experience-

At the tender age of 50 I learned to ride for the first time - not a mid life crisis, I was invited to join a bike club but that's another story. I did all the research and found that the Savage was the best beginners bike, forgiving, powerful enough and easy to work on.

After riding it stock standard for a couple of years on numerous club events (and it had no problems keeping up with the big boys ) I upgraded to a VX800,  and on the day it arrived, stripped it down to the frame and rebuilt it as a cruiser, and loved riding it ever since. The plan was simply to sell the Savage to repay part of the VX cost.

But first the Savage sat it in the garage awaiting my Son to get his bike licence... to date he has not shown any interest so I thought why not renew my love affair with the 650...

As a project I moved the controls forward 4" and put on a set of Harley controls and matching grips, changed the bars back to buckhorn, designed a new rear brake system, reshaped the seat, increasing the front forks 4", made a custom rear rack, moved the taillight under fender, and making a 14" custom sissy bar out of crossed tanto's .

I now look at the VX as a (slightly boring) daily ride, while the Savage is a fun "bit on the side". Now I can feel that mid life crisis coming on.

So my advice would be: don't let your first love go to another toooo quickly.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 03/02/16 at 00:14:08

Chzeckmate, we all get tempted, if you go to www.trademe.co.nz and type in listing 1037789227, you will see what's tempting me. More power, bigger fuel tank, transferable warranty, no money owing on it, and none of Suzuki's sheisty chrome plate or pathetic lacquer coatings. Stuff it, I'm not prepared to pay what he wants and I don't like the stupid digital instrumentation. No I'll stick with little Suzi.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 03/02/16 at 05:46:42

Having a variety of bikes is a good thing, if you can afford it. Having a second (third...or fifth) bike is great for:

- when your bike is down for maintenance
- when you are looking for something different that's familiar
- when you need a guest bike
- when you have a significant other that you want to get into riding
- when you have a son or daughter that shows an interest in riding

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 03/02/16 at 05:57:38

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/02/16 at 05:46:42:
Having a variety of bikes is a good thing, if you can afford it. Having a second (third...or fifth) bike is great for:

- when your bike is down for maintenance
- when you are looking for something different that's familiar
- when you need a guest bike
- when you have a significant other that you want to get into riding
- when you have a son or daughter that shows an interest in riding

Yep yep yep.
It is always good to have a spare, and a spare for the spare.
You never know when a good friend from the southern California might show up needing a bike to ride on the Dragon Ride.
AND, it is especially good if you can keep them all running and ridable too ! 
Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 03/02/16 at 05:59:44

old.indian wrote on 03/01/16 at 20:42:25:
From personal experience I can say that there is truth in the old saying, "Act in haste. Repent in leisure".       I'm STILL kicking myself for selling the Norton, and that was 40 years ago.  Embarrassed

Oh yes, so true.
1956 BSA Goldstar
Still kick myself.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 03/02/16 at 06:25:49

Quote:
She's a 2005, has new tires and brakes and has 14k on the odo.  What do you think?

Blue Book retail - what a dealer would ask - in my neck of the woods is about 2100 for a 2005 in excellent condition. Craigslist asking prices run from 2000 down to 1500 for bikes in nice shape, and some of those bikes keep floating up to the top of the list for months and months before they finally disappear. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they sold, or sold for the asking price.  I think values vary a bit depending on the part of the country though.

If it were me, unless I could sell it to someone I know, I'd probably keep it rather than having to deal with a bunch of random craigslist a**holes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Should I keep it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.