Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kickstand safety switch (Read 156 times)
savage.b
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kickstand safety switch
03/01/16 at 04:52:55

alright so I have a 1986 Suzuki savage that I'm getting ready to put on the road, I have everything all ready I'm just trying to figure out how to get this kickstand switch to work, I don't think the bike has the original 1986 speedo as it doesn't have the kickstand down light. Would that make the switch not shut off the bike when you put it in gear with the kickstand down or is my switch faulty? And how would I test this switch? Thanks

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Kickstand safety switch
Reply #1 - 03/01/16 at 05:35:37

Take the two wires on the switch and short them together. If the bike runs then the switch is probably bad.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #2 - 03/01/16 at 05:39:26

Being a switch you can simply short out the wires to see if it is faulty (don't leave it shorted out, it's there as a safety precaution!)

There is another thread in this forum called kickstand switch bypass that explains that the connector is a two wire one under the seat.

If you short it out and the bike starts, it's the switch or the corresponding wiring.

IP Logged
savage.b
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/12/16 at 20:58:12

The bike starts with the kickstand up or down with it in gear and in netraul. Looking at the wiring diagram for the 1986, the kickstand switch green/white wire runs to the decomp control and up to the speedometer to a kickstand down light, there's also an orange wire that comes from the netraul light to the kickstand down light. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the stock speedometer since there isn't a kickstand down light. So I followed my wiring and it goes to the decomp control and up to the gas tank/speedometer connection but that's it there is no green/white wire after that connection, it connects to nothing. So does that mean if I connect that green/white wire to the Orange wire coming from the netraul light the switch will work?

IP Logged
savage.b
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/15/16 at 04:52:45

Or did the 1986 only have a clutch safety and sidestand light ? And not a sidestand shut off?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/15/16 at 04:57:45

savage.b wrote on 03/15/16 at 04:52:45:
Or did the 1986 only have a clutch safety and sidestand light ? And not a sidestand shut off?

You may be right....the wiring diagrams don't show a sidestand relay in the diagram for the 1986 model - and the switch is wired to the indicator light. (The light they have labeled as an oil lever light is actually the neutral light).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savage.b
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/16/16 at 04:47:16

Alright awsome thanks, I'm just going to go with its just a sidestand down light on the 86, unless someone else can say otherwise.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand safety switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.