norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Raptor petcock
02/28/16 at 14:33:15

To whom it may concern:  Smiley

Today I ran my bike out of gas. I ran the bike down to the reserve and then rode it until it completely ran out of fuel.
I had a small container of fuel to get me to a nearby gas station.

The riding conditions were, obviously, around town with lots of stopping starting gear changes etc. Anyway I got 27 miles before it quit. I was hoping for a bit more but at least now I know what to expect.

All that and I didn't get run over Wink

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Raptor petcock
Reply #1 - 02/28/16 at 14:38:07

P.S. I got 2.9 gallons of fuel in the tank on the fill up. I wouldn't put that much gas in if I was going to park it. As you all know Suzuki doesn't recommend topping it off that much

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 02/28/16 at 20:03:48

I've made that mistake! It WILL leak down the side of the bike when parked and overfilled!  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 02/28/16 at 20:59:24

Meh! I just fill it near the top then give it just one more smudge of gas to top it again. Sometimes I spill over when filling the last bit.

I did have one instance where I had it spill out the gas cap. It caused me to panic, and I just about dropped the bike to the ground right there at the pump. Roll Eyes Otherwise, I do fine.

When you're nearing the top it will surge to the top. I allow it to do this twice before I cap it. It is tough to actually completely fill the tank since you would have to do this several times to purge trapped air.

I'm still alive. Don't worry. Just don't try too hard to fill it too much.

Of course, what do I know? Haven't read the recommendation by Suzuki. Just wingin' it. Cool

Oh, and by the way, I think I fill it up parked with it setting on the kickstand anyway...maybe. Undecided

Hmmm... I wonder if that one incident I had could have been due to varying from the parked filling technique? I don't know. Undecided Undecided Undecided I don't remember. Undecided Undecided Undecided

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 02/28/16 at 21:22:41

27 miles, good to know. That's about 40 km.  Thanks for doing the experiment, norm.

There's an inverted neck in the top of most motorbike tanks. It traps air and stops you overfilling the tank. Of course it can be defeated if you try. If I'm going somewhere I'll brim the tank but if i'm not using the fuel right away I only go to the bottom of the neck.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 02/29/16 at 09:04:04

I've brimmed the tank on the side stand, only to have fuel run out when I stood it up, with the cap on
I was like O_O but it was fine
after that I only filled to the neck

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 02/29/16 at 11:43:34

One thing I do when refueling is to write the last two digits of the mileage on the gas cap. Poor mans trip meter? Grin

Hey, it is better than running on reserve more than 27 miles from the nearest gas station. :'(

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/01/16 at 17:36:49

My system is to start looking for gas as soon as I see 00 as the last 2 numbers on the odo, no marker required

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:35:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.