Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Why we're invisible...
Reply #1 - 02/27/16 at 18:29:42

So,there is a scientific Reason for being a home body.
You're just seeing the shortcuts that your brain is placing there to conserve processing power and attention. That's why people become fatigued more easily in foreign countries or really unfamiliar terrain; their

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 02/27/16 at 19:56:19

Because of the small frontal profile of a motorcycle, and the piecemeal visual process mentioned in the article, I have a movement I often do when approaching a vehicle that is preparing to turn left in front of me or that is sitting waiting to pull out into traffic. I will weave side to side within my traffic lane, hoping that the unusual movement will catch the other driver's eye. I think it can make a difference in another driver taking notice of your motorcycle. I know I find it easier to notice such movements when others make movements like that.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 02/27/16 at 21:00:26

I live in an Over 55 Active Adult Community and most of the people living here have a lot of money, so naturally they are bullies and rude and never give anyone the right away.

I have been riding motorcycle for 64 years and only once was I hit by a car, right here where I live, about a year ago. I go riding almost every day that the sun is shining and the most dangerous place that I ride is right here where I live. These sombitches darned near hit me every time that I return from a ride. They obviously don't see me and I wear a fluorescent safety belt on my vest when I ride and wear a silver metal flake helmet.

Other than being extremely careful I have no idea what else I can do to try to protect myself. I keep my fingers crossed every time I get near the entrance gates.

Kenny G

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #4 - 02/28/16 at 04:17:00

I long ago realized when riding a m/c, or a bicycle, the only one that wants to see you get home alive is YOU! So you have to ride with the mindset that everyone out there is trying to KILL YOU. Keep track of ALL traffic nearby, and ''see'' what other drivers are going to do before they do it. Ride pessimistic and paranoid, always prepare for the worst. Nothing wrong with being paranoid if your right. This morning I am riding to the range the back way. 6 miles longer than the s slab. But a nicer ride taking my chances with a pig or deer, hell even a turtle or gater than a ton chunk of texting steel at 70mph.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/28/16 at 04:56:07

I had linked an excellent article about this previously....and I can't find it.  It explained about the small frontal profile and how we provide very little visual motion when seen head on.  The article recommended that as you approach an intersection - you need to move from one side of the lane to the other side.....to provide the car a view of the motion and also give them a chance to see a bit of the side of the motorcycle.  At a minimum this provides motion that can separate you from the background.  If the car is on the left side of the intersection - you should be at the left side of the lane and drift over to the right side as you approach........and any kind of side to side motion will help you be seen.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/28/16 at 07:20:56

Kenny your Crossing the wrong finger !    Grin

actually , I do the side to side thing too , even on these two lane back roads , and also the S-40's have the passing light flash thing --- I use that if in question .   Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/28/16 at 07:29:21

M M

I have been flipping the finger to lot of them.

I am sure some of them have heard curse words that they have never heard before.

It frightens me to try to get back through the entrances.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 02/28/16 at 20:26:49

Serowbot wrote on 02/27/16 at 17:40:13:
Why You Don't 'See' Motorcycles on the Road

Also see http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/000937.html

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 03/01/16 at 05:32:39

I have a protective vest, and with a small investment of a couple dollars I made it more "visable"

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
DesertRat
Serious Thumper

I love rat bikes!

Arizona
Reply #10 - 03/01/16 at 11:09:14

bobert_FSO wrote on 02/27/16 at 19:56:19:
Because of the small frontal profile of a motorcycle, and the piecemeal visual process mentioned in the article, I have a movement I often do when approaching a vehicle that is preparing to turn left in front of me or that is sitting waiting to pull out into traffic. I will weave side to side within my traffic lane, hoping that the unusual movement will catch the other driver's eye. I think it can make a difference in another driver taking notice of your motorcycle. I know I find it easier to notice such movements when others make movements like that.

I do this all the time, even moving with the flow of traffic, trying to catch the attention of drivers behind that are approaching way too fast. Even had two motorcycle cops pull in behind me one time, guess they thought I was drunk or something, they didn't bother with the speeding cager, just me. Go figure! douchebags ...  Roll Eyes

-The silence of indifference makes cowards of men.
- http://www.pipeburn.com/home/category/rat
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 03/01/16 at 11:39:32

MMRanch wrote on 02/28/16 at 07:20:56:
and also the S-40's have the passing light flash thing --- I use that if in question .   Cool

I would suggest not using the high beam/passing light as a signal or attention getter. Too many people mistake the flash for a "oh, he sees me and is telling me to go ahead and PULL OUT/TURN" which is the opposite of what we need.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 03/01/16 at 12:30:18

I tell my boys to drive for everyone on the road. Drive like none of them have a brain they can think with.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 03/01/16 at 17:40:20

old rider, I have Michael Keaton's voice in my head saying in a low gravelly tone "I'm Batman"!  Grin

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 03/01/16 at 21:45:21

I think, the point of the article is... it's not you, or them,... it's human biology.
We aren't seen, because we aren't anticipated...

I've done it myself...
You pull out,... and suddenly someone is right behind you,...
... and you think,.. did I cut him off?...
Where did he come from?...
... am I the bad guy?...
I was sure it was clear...

Our eyes and brain, selectively focus on what appears to be most crucial at the time... and what is anticipated...

Either that,... or I'm older than than I think... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:34:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why we're invisible...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.