Send Topic Print
Idle mix adjustment (Read 257 times)
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Idle mix adjustment
02/27/16 at 09:26:00

Recently purchased a 2004 model and have done these recent mods, drilled holes in the standard muffler for a better sound and installed a K&N air filter. When I went to remove the idle mixture screw plug I found that it had been removed by a previous owner. It backfires alot when I roll off the throttle. I tried several ccw adjustments up to 2 full turns with no improvement. It is probable that the previous owner made some adjustments so I was wondering if there is a way to start over so to speak, e.g. screw the idle mixer all the way in and then back it off to factory settings and start experimenting from there before going the re-jetting route? Suggestions greatly appreciated. Smiley

Older than dirt but still kickin' up dust!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Idle mix adjustment
Reply #1 - 02/27/16 at 10:12:32

Start at 2 turns out... (if you can go all the way in, without the idle lowering, you need a smaller pilot jet), (if you need to go more than 3 turns out, you need a bigger pilot)...
1 1/2 to 2 turns is ideal...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #2 - 02/27/16 at 10:38:32

Thanks! When I turned it all the way in the the first time the engine quit running. Since the idle was set probably lower than it should be I increased the idle a bit and then screwed it all the way in and the engine almost quits running, i.e. barely turning over.  Manual says #47.5 so what size or sizes would you purchase to try to correct the problem?  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/27/16 at 11:06:00

You adjust the idle jet to idle correctly, not to compensate for some mod.

you have to learn not to chop the throttle, ease it down.

WWW   IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #4 - 02/27/16 at 12:28:30

I was using the throttle valve stop screw to adjust the idle. Is that the correct adjuster to use? Sorry! I am not a mechanic but I am trying.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/27/16 at 13:06:16

You adjust the idle mixture jet to idle correctly, not to compensate for some mod.

you have to learn not to chop the throttle, ease it down.

did you put in a K&N drop in or pod filter?

WWW   IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #6 - 02/27/16 at 13:49:48

I put in the square one that looks identical to the stock air filter. Is that called the "drop in" filter? I adjusted the one you have labeled "idle speed" to up the idle a "titch". The backfire is not too bad but it is definitely more pronounced after the changes to the exhaust & air filter.

IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/11/16 at 10:48:01

Hey guys! I need something explained a little more clearly: I too attempted to adjust my air mix screw and found I could turn it all the way in without the idle speed changing at all. So according to what I read hear, I should change to a smaller pilot jet. According to my Clymer manual there are 2 pilot jets: one in the top diaphragm section next to the needle jet that they call the Pilot air jet (mine is a 62.5) and one in the bottom float bowl area they call the pilot jet (there were no identifying marks on this one). I assume this is the one I need to change to don't know what size to change it to since I don't know what size I'm beginning with.
The bikes an 86 Savage that was a non-running basket case when I bought it and I've had to rebuild almost everything on it now trying to do the final tuning. Has the stock muffler on it now that I punched a bunch of holes in the baffles for better flow and has a small cone air filter on about a 4 inch long straight pipe for the intake.
Thanks in advance for your help! You guys are an amazing resource and would never have been able to get it runner without all the info here! I hope to post my build and pics soon with all the interesting hurdles I had along the way.  Grin

IP Logged
hotprops

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fort myers fl
Reply #8 - 06/11/16 at 22:47:34

just to help 2 items,  cc wise or out on the screw is lean correct? if your spring behind screw mixture is too small has anyone had it move by itself? thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/12/16 at 11:11:33

Remember to be Gentle when closing it. The tip is. a fine brass point.
Instead of it idling on the sidestand, put a screwdriver in your pocket, ride, make Tiny adjustments at stop signs.
Yeah, takes longer, but, it's funner.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
azmav
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #10 - 06/12/16 at 19:01:02

Double amen to being gentle,  I got mine well and truly stuck.  Bike runs poorly and now I am on the hunt for a replacement carb.  Not fun.  Thing is stripped to he'll,  tried every method out there.  I may take it and have it drilled out, filled and retapped if possible.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 06/12/16 at 20:14:56

Before you turn the idle mix screw, drop the idle RPM. If you don't, you may not be able to hear a difference when you turn the idle screw. Just remember to turn the idle back up to 1000-1100 RPMs when you are done.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
mastercarstech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/13/16 at 18:55:08

I thought I read somewhere on here, I think it was Lancer guide to tuning but not sure, that you should turn the idle speed up while you adjust the idle mix? Maybe I misunderstood. What is a good idle speed to use while adjusting the idle mix?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 06/13/16 at 19:07:41

No, turn it down. It makes it waaaay easier to hear adjustments in the idle quality. Too high of an idle speed and you may completely bypass the idle circuitry. If that happens then tuning the idle will do nothing for you.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:31:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle mix adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.