Rear Rim Replacement (Read 224 times)
oops
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

east TN
Rear Rim Replacement
02/25/16 at 14:03:27

Anyone know if a stock Excel 18x2.50 36 spoke rear rim will fit the Savage rear hub? Anyone know of other 18" rims can be used on the Savage? Just trying to save $$$$. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear Rim Replacement
Reply #1 - 02/26/16 at 03:46:34

Stock Excel...not sure what that means.  Excel rims are aftermarket and are made for a lot of different applications.  The really affordable ones are made to fit dirt bikes....and the spoke angle is most likely not correct.

The Savage rear hub is a brake drum, and if you get an Excel rim that has been drilled for a rear hub that uses a disc brake, the diameter of the hub will be smaller than the Savage drum - the holes in the rim for the spoke nipples will most likely be punched/drilled at the wrong angle for the Savage.  You either need to take a drill and change the angle of the holes (not recommended).....or order an Excel rim from Buchanan's that has the holes drilled at the correct angle for the Savage.

If you can find a rim for an older Suzuki GT380/GT550, T500....somethings with a rear brake drum...they may have a rim with the correct spoke angle.  Most likely it will be a chrome plated steel rim.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/excel.asp

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oops
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

east TN
Reply #2 - 02/26/16 at 07:06:46

Thanks. I already talked with Buchanan and got their price. That's why I was looking for a less expensive option. Any idea if RYCA got their rear rim holes corrected to not bend the spokes?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/26/16 at 07:24:52

Nope....if you look at their description for the $ 149 rim they sell...they state you have to drill and re-angle the spoke holes to work on the Savage hub.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/26/16 at 07:54:07

considering the cost of their kits, I really think THEY should be doing that
the whole point of a 'kit' is not having to modify the parts in the kit

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - 03/13/16 at 19:46:15

Dave wrote on 02/26/16 at 07:24:52:
Nope....if you look at their description for the $ 149 rim they sell...they state you have to drill and re-angle the spoke holes to work on the Savage hub.

I really didn't want to just read this. I'm finally getting around to working on my cafe racer kit on which I had decided to not have them lace the rear wheel. I assumed they had sent me the wrong rim since the nipples didn't fit in the holes on the rim and seemed to be at the wrong angle anyway. Ugh.  Angry

IP Logged
oops
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

east TN
Reply #6 - 03/14/16 at 08:41:59

I'm very interested in your solution. My original idea was if RYCA sells a generic rim, why not get one at a better price elsewhere? But it would still need the additional drilling.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 03/15/16 at 18:34:31

This is the response I got from Ryca when I asked if I had maybe received the wrong wheel. (I emailed them before I saw this thread)

That is why we include the note taped/attached to the loose wheel. Maybe it was discarded.

I asked if I can send the wheel back to them and have them lace it but haven't received a response yet.

IP Logged
nerdsports
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/16/16 at 10:20:45

I'm using a rear rim off a TX500 I believe. It's made for a rear drum so I'm sure I won't have to redrill the spoke holes at an angle. However, when I measured the barrel of the nipple the Buchanan rep I spoke to said the smallest nipple they sell is 7mm. The stock one measured at 6.49mm so I will have to drill the holes slightly bigger but not angle them.

IP Logged
DaveG
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/18/16 at 05:40:26

I got an 18" rim and spokes from Mikes XS. The XS650 drum brake rear hub is the same diameter as the S40/Savage so the drilling is at the correct angle Laced it myself and had a bike shop true it for me. Worked out fine once I modified the swingarm.

IP Logged
oops
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

east TN
Reply #10 - 03/25/16 at 08:52:19

DaveG,
What length spokes did you use? I got a rim and spokes from the same place as you, and mine are too long.

IP Logged
oops
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

east TN
Reply #11 - 03/28/16 at 14:25:54

I took another look at the rim and tried a different lacing pattern. It fits like a glove. No weird angles, no drilling, just a good looking rim. I got the rim from Mikes and saved a bunch.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/28/16 at 17:06:06

oops wrote on 03/28/16 at 14:25:54:
I took another look at the rim and tried a different lacing pattern. It fits like a glove. No weird angles, no drilling, just a good looking rim. I got the rim from Mikes and saved a bunch.

Please provide part numbers for the rim and spokes - so others know what to order.

IP Logged
oops
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

east TN
Reply #13 - 03/29/16 at 07:29:21

Not thinking. Again. They came from MikesXS, Tampa, FL. Spoke Set #19-0060 (18" 36 spokes) and Rim is #34-0007 (2.5" x 18" 36 hole). Total cost was $171. No drilling and no weird angles on the spokes, after I "saw" the right lacing pattern  Wink.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:36:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Rim Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.