Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
riding on Saturday? (Read 121 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
riding on Saturday?
02/25/16 at 06:00:19

Supposed to be in the 50's here Saturday. I'll be riding if I have to haul 'er to dry ground to do it. Pretty sloppy in these parts. I cranked her this Las weekend and she popped right off. Ohhh the sound of that big single is so sweet.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: riding on Saturday?
Reply #1 - 02/25/16 at 06:14:15

Yeah buddy!
I rode to work last week Tuesday through Friday.  First time is quite a while and was pleased she turned over without problems.
Been getting a little smoke for the first minute of warm up so gotta troubleshoot that.
Truck comes first, though.  Need to sort out a vibration that's getting worse.  And 4WD has been giving me problems.
Ah, vehicle ownership.  It never ends.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 02/25/16 at 06:20:16

Tocsik, I see your from Denver. I just talked to my cuz in Colorado Springs this AM for a bit. Glad the weather is favorable there.
Thump On!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/25/16 at 06:20:28

Gus wrote on 02/25/16 at 06:00:19:
I cranked her this Las weekend and she popped right off. Ohhh the sound of that big single is so sweet.

KY might be suitable for a ride as well on Saturday with a morning temperature in the middle 30's and up to the 50's in the afternoon - but Sunday will be better as we should get up in the 60's.

I am of the opinion that "starting" your bike and letting it warm up when you aren't going riding is not a good practice - it is better to just let the bike sit until a day when you can actually go riding(with a battery tender used occasionally to keep the battery charged).  There isn't good oil pressure and oil flow when the bike is idling, and there is evidence that the cam does not get good oil distribution when the bike is leaned over on the sidestand.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 02/25/16 at 06:26:14

I hear ya, Dave.  I don't start the bike until I'm astride her with all my gear already on (insert double-entendre thoughts here).  Had to break the habit of letting my scooter warm up while I "geared-up" when I got the Savage.
With temps in the high 20's or low 30's, I start her with the first click of the enricher and my hand on the throttle for 20 seconds or so to keep the revs up.  Then I take off gently for the first mile or so and usually push the enricher in at the first stop sign leaving my neighborhood (which is less than that first mile).

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/25/16 at 06:31:25

Tocsik wrote on 02/25/16 at 06:14:15:
Yeah buddy!
Been getting a little smoke for the first minute of warm up so gotta troubleshoot that.

Could this just be condensation in the cold exhaust system?  It is not uncommon for a bit of water vapor to show up in the exhaust when the air is cold.  White smoke is usually just a sign of water vapor.....hold a mirror in the smoke and see if water droplets form of the mirror.  (Oil smoke has a blue tint, and rich fuel mixture makes black smoke).

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 02/25/16 at 06:46:42

Dave, I read that article. I am of the opinion that many air cooled motorcycles are killed at stop lights and bombing around town. I live 18 miles from the nearest gallon of gas. My bikes rarely idle or set at stop lights. I doubt 3 min. Of idling is going to be the demise of my engine . If it is; it's not the right bike for me. Besides Dave, I've always been kind of a rule breaker. Has it cost me at some time I the past? Yup! Will I break the rules again? Probably; it's in my nature.
That aside, I surely hope you get out and enjoy the spring weather in KY. I'll  be riding with you.

And thanks for all you do on this website. I could only pretend to know what you do about these beloved Singles!

Thump On!

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/25/16 at 06:56:52

Gus:

You could be right....3 min. may not make a difference - dunno.

I can't even begin to know where to search - but I do remember reading on this forum where folks have started their bikes up in the winter and let them idle for 30 minutes to charge the battery - and it is their belief that they are actually doing something "good" for their bike.  That most likely is the kind of abuse that caused the cam and rocker to go bad on the bike I bought....with only 3,800 miles on it.

Dave

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 02/25/16 at 07:47:42

Dave, You bring up an interesting point! About charging batteries. I wonder if the stator on any motorcycle is able to fully charge a battery. I'm of a mind that all these small engine batteries need a thorough charging every so often.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/25/16 at 08:09:25

If you ride your bike for more than just short trips.....the bike will fully charge the battery and it won't need any supplemental charging - but I don't know what the length of time needed to recharge the energy used by the starter motor.  If you have to crank for a while....obviously you will need to ride for a while.

We have had a few folks on this forum who only made a lot of short trips while doing errands on their Savage, and with all the energy used to start the bike.....they would eventually wear the battery down and the bike wouldn't start until the battery was charged again.  I believe we have determined that there is only about 14 watts left over for battery charging when the bike is running, and that is only about 1 amp of charging for the battery.

I have never had any problems keeping my battery charged, and I believe the bike can fully charge the battery as long as you ride 4-5 miles between stops.  You can most likely even make a dozen or so very short trips in a row - but if you keep it up for a week or two of riding - you may end up needing a charge before you get going again.

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 02/25/16 at 08:32:39

I've never had a charger on my Savage. But like I said in a previous post; there are no real short trips from where I live unless you want to stop and watch the sunset.
Your figures about power and amperage in your post would suggest there is very little left over from running the electrical system to charge the battery. That is what I sensed.
I will though, continue to trickle charge all of my butteries from time to time.  Even the ones that get regular use. I do it on my vehicles a couple times a year. I just put the trickle charger on over night just as part of a routine maintenance. I think I get more mileage from my batteries. I have one old car here with a battery that is 8 years old. It's a diesel with a glow plug system in it. I started it the other day after not running for a month and the battery still warms it up and turns the starter.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/26/16 at 19:46:23

I'm going riding tomorrow also! Thump on!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #12 - 02/27/16 at 15:24:41

Has anyone that rides short trips and has trouble starting their bike occasionally considered a small solar panel charger mounted someplace inconspicuous? At least there would be a small charge going to the battery. It may be enough if you run it down occasionally.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/27/16 at 22:24:07

I would like to have a small solar panel capable of heating a pair of gloves.

Probably not possible.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 02/28/16 at 11:12:10

The solar panel thing has merrit. I use those small solar trickle chargers on a couple vehicles here that don't get used much. One is a diesel bus made into a camper. It is always ready to start and it only has one battery in it rated at 950 CCA. That little solar panel keeps it topped off all the time.

BTW-- I did get a little ride in yesterday after putting new elements in my hot water heater for momma. Not near long enough but a ride never the less.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:32:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › riding on Saturday?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.