Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
used savage horror story (Read 325 times)
Gus

Thumpers Rock!

Minnesota
Re: used savage horror story
Reply #30 - 02/29/16 at 07:29:25

I'm with MMranch, I wanna hear more about the Royal Enfield. I dang near night one this winter with tranny problems but be wanted to much for it.

1994 BMW K75S
2011 s40
1979 Honda CT90 Trail
1964 Honda CT200 Trail
One cylinder - one carburetor. Life is good!
Retired/Minnesota
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #31 - 02/29/16 at 08:31:33

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/28/16 at 23:10:55:
Here's a cute little thread where they duke it out: BMW vs Suzuki.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-f650gs-vs-suzuki-dr650.112940/

Well, it's late, and I've done enough damage for one night. I think I'll sleep on it.  Huh

That thread compares a BMW to a Suzuki DR, not a Savage
the lady in this story needed a bike that would happily do 80 all day long,the Savage will do 80 unhappily until you break it (quickly)
I have no idea how well the DR tolerates 80 MPH, but obviously the BMW tolerates it well
don't judge other's rides by your standards
None of the 'big dog' savage riders here would be happy on my S Wind on the Dragon, or the 3 sisters, even I find it less fun in the twisties than a Savage (though it seems as capable, at least in such twisties as I have around here you aren't as connected, and it's somewhat less precise i think) but riding home from Hallettsville last nigh (50 miles) at 70 MPH, on fairly straight secondary roads, with an outside temp of about 60, I couldn't possibly have been happier on a Savage, or any of a lot of other bikes I've owned
A Savage isn't a wunderbar, do it all better than any other bike, it's a nice, simple, basic light cruiser
want to run 80 all day long? get a different bike, running a Savage like that is abuse
if you're cool with running mostly 60-70 a Savage if a good bike, IF it's properly cared for
Hers wasn't

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #32 - 02/29/16 at 09:12:31

Looks like the girl in this story didn't find this forum. Undecided If she did, her Savage career could have been saved.

But then, it's possible that she still would have given up trying to make a silk purse out of a mouse's ear. It's interesting that she never attempted to repair her own bike, not even for the most simple of repairs. There are great costs to that kind of decision. How many hundreds of dollars did she dump into repair bills, not counting parts costs?

It is possible to make a Savage do 80 without revving the snot out of it. It takes mods, though. Mods don't compute to some people. If she didn't have the nerve to repair her own bike, would she have dared to mod it? Maybe... maybe not. Huh

Even then, it takes a good, smooth road to do 80 very safely on a Savage anyway. So, yeah, maybe the Savage was not for her if 80 all day everyday was her goal.

Don't some guys on here do 80+ regularly on their Savage?

By the way, what's an "S Wind"?

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #33 - 02/29/16 at 09:39:22

yes, some guys here do 80 a lot on modified savages, and at least one fella run a stock one that way a lot and wore it out very quickly
Modding a bike, especially if you don't have any mechanical savvy, is an expensive way to try to make a silk purse from a mouses ear, and potentially wind up with a ruined mouses ear for your trouble
the cheapest and easiest route if you have little to no mechanical savvy is always to buy a bike that suits your needs stock, not try to make a fast bike out of a slow one
Swind is a typo, I meant S wing, aka Silverwing, a maxi scooter
at 70 MPH. you can barely hear the engine, and your sitting in a nice cushy seat, with weather protection from your toes on up, though there is still some helmet buffeting / wind noise at head level
it's fast, nimble, and stable, though not as stable as a Savage at low speeds due to small wheels, steeper steering angle, and a clutch that disengages at less than 2k RPM, but you don't feel as connected to the bike
In short, if you were riding with us from Columbus Tx to Kerrville for the 3 sisters rally, you'd want the S40 for the sisters, but the Silverwing for the ride there on I-10
This is one reason some folks prefer to trailer a bike for long distances to get to sooper good riding roads, the bikes that are the most fun once you get there, sometimes aren't much fun while getting there

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #34 - 02/29/16 at 09:52:35

MMRanch wrote on 02/29/16 at 07:16:10:
gizzo

so tell us about the Enfield :

??? you got the newer type motor ?
    does it feel like it needs an overdrive ?
    the high speed cruising speed - (I call 75mph High speed on my S-40)
    when you lean over in tight turns - what drags first ?

Huh

Ok, quickly then:
It has the new UCE engine in 535cc, fuel injection. its good for 90mph on a good day but it's happy place is less. Its good at up to 75 and will do that all day. It's not a high speed rocket but nor are most big singles. The engine has no counter balancer so it vibrates a bit more than the cabbage. Build quality is variable and evidently some shake a lot worse than others. Mine's pretty good.
I don't really feel the need to gear it up but others claim good results with an  extra tooth on the front sprocket.
Mine's the Continental GT and has great cornering clearance. The first thing decks is the boot, then  the sidestand mount and muffler. The pegs are high and rearset and I haven't decked them (they're too short anyway, the ends snapped off) .
Build quality is so so. I needed to do a fair amount of fettling from new and little things pop up now and again. I wouldn't recommend an Enfield to a non mechanically minded owner. You can buy a lot more japanese motorbike for the same money. But I love it and it's hilarious fun. It keeps up in the bends with buds on sv 1000, ss900, ktm superduke, triumph  speed triple. Not so much on the straights.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 02/29/16 at 10:00:14

Art Webb wrote on 02/29/16 at 09:39:22:
Swind is a typo, I meant S wing, aka Silverwing, a maxi scooter

good... I was worried it was south wind... as in wind from your nether regions.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #36 - 02/29/16 at 10:58:19

Well I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you were in my Swind either, on the Dragon or off  Grin
(insert beans joke here)
fortunately at 80 you'd not likely even notice any Swind Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:30:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › used savage horror story

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.