Send Topic Print
New cam chain or not? (Read 231 times)
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Re: New cam chain or not?
Reply #15 - 02/23/16 at 19:45:14

Question? The rear break is squealing every so often! Is this just a dust problem or with 27,000+ miles is it time for new brake pads. I know! Just remove the wheel and take a look! Guess I will just have to build that bike stand after all!

Older than dirt but still kickin' up dust!
  IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #16 - 02/23/16 at 19:47:55

Six

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #17 - 02/23/16 at 19:48:06

Seven

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #18 - 02/23/16 at 19:48:19

Eight

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #19 - 02/23/16 at 19:48:38

Nine

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #20 - 02/23/16 at 19:48:58

Ten

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #21 - 02/23/16 at 20:18:59

hawk41 wrote on 02/23/16 at 19:45:14:
Question? The rear break is squealing every so often! Is this just a dust problem or with 27,000+ miles is it time for new brake pads. I know! Just remove the wheel and take a look! Guess I will just have to build that bike stand after all!

I DO wish that the S40 had a center stand. It made life SOOOOO much easier......

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #22 - 02/23/16 at 20:28:18

A center stand would certainly come in handy. I bought one of those hydraulic motorcycle lifts from Harbor Freight so that I could do some minor work on my last bike, a 94 Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project. It was on the lift for quite some time during the heat of summer and when it was time to take it off the lift, it had frozen in the up position. Had to tear the thing apart just to get the bike down. What a piece of junk.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 02/23/16 at 20:32:12

old.indian wrote on 02/23/16 at 20:18:59:
hawk41 wrote on 02/23/16 at 19:45:14:

I DO wish that the S40 had a center stand. It made life SOOOOO much easier......

got an owners manual?
if not grab a copy in the tech section (see index)
on pg 54 it shows you how to tell how much rear brake you got.

WWW   IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #24 - 02/23/16 at 21:23:06

Thanks! Found page 54 and checked the index line on my bike. The extension line is pointing to the very right hand tip of the index line. Logic indicates that the bike has new rear brake pads, right? Unfortunately, I have been wrong before. If they are indeed new brake pads, is there a simple remedy for the squeal?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 02/24/16 at 04:01:49

The rear shoes never seem to wear out - they do get dirty, and unfortunately when you wash your bike (or it gets rained on), the brake drum is holding water inside as the sidestand is tipping the bike over to the right side.  The rust gets scraped off the brake drum and gets embedded into the brake shoes.....and they get squeally.  (It is very important not to wash your bike and let it sit....you need to ride it for 10 minutes to get the water out of the nooks and crannys).

Take the rear wheel off, clean any rust and dirt off the drum with emery cloth or steel wool, then do the same with the brake shoes.

Here is a link that shows what you can expect in a bike that has been in storage and not ridden for a few years. Go to post #10 and you can see what the rear drum looked like....if I had ridden the bike before cleaning the drum - the rust would have contaminated the shoes.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440293732    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 02/24/16 at 04:40:04

Those "Meds " are available at the local Bottle Barn. Being a mechanic at heart, regardless of ability, I find myself reaching for a screwdriver, late in the day, and I just plain Like a few dark beers.

Hire someone, pay for their tools. Getting in and out of the clutch cover is not a big deal. A 1/4" drive socket set, ratchet, I'd want an extension and wobble, cuz I like having stuff.
A set of metric wrenches,
The through bolts that hold the pegs, and sidestand, have to come off, so, blocking up under the frame to keep it standing is needed. IIRC, I  used a come-along , rafter in the shop, rope on the frame. Tank off, which is a hassle, but that is just how I do stuff..
If you decide to pull the tank prepare a place to set it down first.
The speedo cable doesn't look like it would not appreciate the load, I want at least six inches for it to curve.

I MAY have gotten everything off and slipped the through bolts in and put the sidestand back on, so access to the engine guts are easier to get at.
One chain guide is replaceable without going too deep. Might need to get the head cover off, I can't remember.
Exhaust has to come off. It's not technically difficult, doesn't take a lot of tools.
The labor costs saved will buy the tools and leave money in your pocket.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 02/24/16 at 08:47:04

I think a few members have indicated they did the verslavy with the bike laying on its side?
'Didn't even have to drain the oil, IIRC
the bike lifts easy with a come along and a tree, or even a ratchet strap
Hell, I regularly picked the back end of mine up and set it on a block Once, in a testosterone and adrenaline induced moment of desperation and courage (and probably stupidity) I lifted the whole fool bike out of the back of a truck all by my lonesome, though I wouldn't recommend anyone else try it  Grin

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #28 - 02/24/16 at 12:08:19

Great info & advice guys! This morning I was finishing up the title paperwork with the seller, and, although he was not able to give me any contact info of the guy he bought it from, he did say it was an older gentleman who was a mechanic. That makes sense as one of the first mods I did was to drill holes in the stock muffler to get at least a better sound. When I went to remove the plug over the idle mixture screw I found it had already been removed. I doubt that it fell out by itself. Along with the new rear brakes and there appears to have been a new gasket installed (just a bit showing) on the side case (shifter side), it may be that other important work has been completed. My curiosity has been aroused so I will bite the bullet and check out the cam chain myself. I will let you know what I find. Wouldn't it be a "hoot" if a Versy has been already installed?

IP Logged
hawk41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #29 - 03/11/16 at 13:21:30

Well! Removed the side case today and found that the cam chain adjuster was about maxed out but the cam chain seems to be OK. Ordered a Versy and am anxious to get back on the road again.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:15:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New cam chain or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.