Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still same (Read 434 times)
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still
Reply #30 - 02/28/16 at 12:33:59

My computer went bung. I'm getting a bit lost again as regards just changing the bars & starter stuck. Will get back when I can. All thes replies to work out.  Undecided

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 02/29/16 at 11:52:01

Savagenan says - 'Measure it like this with the starter motor disconnected and the 2 small wires. '

ok. I take the starter motor heavy wire off of it that has a rubber boot.
Then I disconnect the 2 small wires on starter solenoid,
Then I test the 2 small brass (primary) connectors.
....all things being equal, I'll go & do this, this morning   :'(

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 02/29/16 at 13:07:09

To oldNslow-  (sounds like I'm talking to myself)  I just went out & disconnected starter motor &  tested small wire primary connectors on solenoid & they measured 04.7

New findings:- With starter disconnected at the starter, I touched the left-side battery lead to battery & there was a loud click/clonk in the solenoid. (please remember I removed the original solenoid & replaced with new)
Does this mean the starter button on the bars, is stuck in the 'on' position,  inside there somewhere??!!  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 02/29/16 at 13:12:32

......but the key is not even in the ignition!  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 02/29/16 at 13:38:29

Slipstream wrote on 02/29/16 at 13:07:09:
To oldNslow-  (sounds like I'm talking to myself)  I just went out & disconnected starter motor &  tested small wire primary connectors on solenoid & they measured 04.7

New findings:- With starter disconnected at the starter, I touched the left-side battery lead to battery & there was a loud click/clonk in the solenoid. (please remember I removed the original solenoid & replaced with new)
Does this mean the starter button on the bars, is stuck in the 'on' position,  inside there somewhere??!!  Embarrassed

remember, unless you include pic's, you have to be very clear about what you're doing.
Quote:
starter disconnected at the starter

starter power cable disconnected?
starter removed from engine?

I think you need to work backwards from the relay.
Grab a volt meter and isolate each component in turn.
ok, with starter power disconnected (we know the starter works) disconnect the primary (small) leads to the starter relay.  Do you still get power to the starter power cable? Yes? then the relay you replaced is wrong/bad.

Next...

WWW   IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 02/29/16 at 13:42:16

to Justin o guy2:- 'I'd be disconnecting one of the small wires. Then there is no way to be wrong.'
Yes, ..with the starter motor connected & the small primary wires disconnected the battery can be successfully connected again.

A new solenoid can't be a failure from the factory surely. It must have been tested.
Tests I just did -- with the multimeter set on  inline continuity, the digi readout says 1.
If I touch the electrodes together the readout says 001.
The old solenoid I removed measures 003 over small wire terminals.
In place, the new solenoid  measures 003. (This is with the battery left lead off & starter motor connected & both small primary wires disconnected)
Boy I'm foxed. It still arrives in my head saying 'solenoid stuck' whichever way I turn.

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 02/29/16 at 13:47:28

Thanks Verslagen1--  'Quote:starter disconnected at the starter'
I'll try to describe more accurately.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 02/29/16 at 14:12:07

Slipstream wrote on 02/29/16 at 13:42:16:
Tests I just did -- with the multimeter set on  inline continuity, the digi readout says 1.
If I touch the electrodes together the readout says 001.
The old solenoid I removed measures 003 over small wire terminals.
In place, the new solenoid  measures 003. (This is with the battery left lead off & starter motor connected & both small primary wires disconnected)
Boy I'm foxed. It still arrives in my head saying 'solenoid stuck' whichever way I turn.

on or off, the coils are going to measure low resistance.  but check to ground to make sure they are not shorted.

the contact from bat to starter should be open

apply 12 v to the primary coil with the other side grounded and you should get a click and the bat to starter should be closed.

You can do this with the starter button if you wish.

WWW   IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #38 - 02/29/16 at 14:20:01

Sounds like a stuck starter solenoid. And YES they could have sold you a bad or used bad one.

If you check the 2 big terminals on the starter solenoid with all wires disconnected it should read infinity on your ohm meter. The 2 small terms should read 3 or 4 ohms. You have to check this and make sure of it or else you are performing brain surgery on a hang nail.

If the 2 big terms read 0 or .1 ohms then the solenoid is stuck and that's it... Huh This is called problem isolation.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #39 - 02/29/16 at 15:17:23

Quote:

No, I understood you. What I suggested you check was the wire (yellow with a black stripe according to the  schematic) for voltage. Not the terminal on the solenoid. I guess I should have been more specific.

Disconnect the wire from the stud on the starter. Disconnect the yellow/black wire from the solenoid. Make sure neither of those wires can touch any part part of the bike while you are checking.

Reconnect your battery. Key off. Hook your voltmeter between the yellow/bk stripe wire and a ground. If you have 12v on that wire with the key off and the start button not pushed, then that's where your problem is. I'll get back to that in a minute.

If there is not 12v at that wire with the key off and the start button not pushed, then take your voltmeter and check for 12v at the wire you disconnected from the stud on the starter.

If you have 12v on that wire you have a stuck or defective solenoid.  

If the solenoid is OK (No voltage on the wire you took off the starter stud) then the only way for it to close and operate the starter is if 12v is being fed to the  yellow/bk wire that you just checked. To repeat. With the key off and the start button not pushed there should be no voltage at that wire.

Savagemans instructions for testing the solenoid with an ohmmeter are valid and will lead to the same conclusion as far as determining if the solenoid is OK or not.
. But you still need to know what's going on with the yellow/bk wire. Voltage to that wire is what closes the solenoid. If its being energised with everything turned off then you have to find out why.

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 02/29/16 at 16:24:23

to OldNslow   'No, I understood you.'  
I was referring to your title Smiley I am old & slow!

I'll try to find time tomorrow to carry on. I'm afraid my understanding of electrics & electrical terminology is minimal.

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 02/29/16 at 22:04:20

We have had a yarn & I have decided to pack it in. It was ok while I wasn't losing sleep worrying about it.
I took both solenoids to a local garage & they test out as good. I will sell something later on & get someone around to find what I did wrong on (presumably) the bars.
If this page is still working or left open (?) when I have the job done, I'll post the answer of where I went wrong, up here.
Thanks to everybody that gave me assistance, I'm pleased I got that far actually  Smiley I really like the site & have some great reading ahead. Specially about oils, a subject unmentionable. Wink

Just a note of caution to those that don't enjoy the Savage/S40 drag bars (with risers) shoving their elbows out & decide to change to the pullback ones. Your accelerator & clutch cables & the front disc brake hydraulic hose are now the wrong length & have to be replaced. (see Alpha Sports Parts)
= expensive bar changeover. Plus the accelerator cable top-end to bar attachment has to be significantly doctored or another part bought.
Still...was it worth it? I have the end result,... the pull-backs on this thumper. Too right it was  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #42 - 03/01/16 at 18:02:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/22/16 at 18:48:16:
I know that there is a place on the decompression solenoid controller that IF you put twelve volts to it, it Will fire the starter over, even if it is in gear, sidestand down, Key in your pocket.
I Wanna say it's the Second wire from the left, standing behind the bike, looking forward.
And,there is a single red , always hot, wire,running right close to it

Read that carefully.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 03/19/16 at 13:49:56

Well I'm back for the last time on this problem.
The little black electronics box  ( 32910-24B10 under the seat that is for the decompression solenoid,) which has 6 flat brass connectors, had packed it in.
We opened it up & long ago there must have been water in it. It is sealed to prevent this, so is a mystery. The solder blobs on the circuit board had corrosion.
The guy said the timing of its death  was just a coincidence. I paid him 120$ & bought a new one - 145$ & yesterday all was made operable.  Roll Eyes
--
I have to share something now before someone else has great head problems as I had.
I bought this as-new bike from afar because it was cheap & lowish Ks. Cheap because it had a disgusting surge (I didn't know) that nearly made it un-rideable. I have been toying with selling as-is for ages. The surge was bad,  mostly in the first 1/4 of the range of every gear but discernable throughout.
Mechanics could not fix it.
The last one, was a great guy (Duzgo) just retired, not because of me though  Undecided with a fantastic reputation. He placed an old savage needle in the carb & had it set to idle very fast & said not to let it get too low in any gear. Everyone did their best but it wasn't PETROL surge, it was ELECTRICITY surge!
Never imagined this was possible myself. There is no evidence whatsoever of any surge now. It is smooth as silk. I hope not too many are fooled by this too often. What a joy to ride Francis with those old pullback bars  Smiley
I guess it will need a carby tune, but not sure. I put the idle back to normal.
Thanks everyone & the mods too. I have a ton of reading to do on this great site.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 03/19/16 at 16:17:51

Slipstream wrote on 03/19/16 at 13:49:56:
Well I'm back for the last time on this problem.
The little black electronics box  ( 32910-24B10 under the seat that is for the decompression solenoid,) which has 6 flat brass connectors, had packed it in. ... Everyone did their best but it wasn't PETROL surge, it was ELECTRICITY surge!
Never imagined this was possible myself. There is no evidence whatsoever of any surge now. It is smooth as silk. I hope not too many are fooled by this too often.

just to be clear, you replaced the black box and the surge is gone?
the decomp controller does that and delays the starter and sends a signal to the ECU to retard the timing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:22:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still same

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.