Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still same (Read 434 times)
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still same
02/22/16 at 13:07:04

'NO-ONE KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE LS650 THAN THE MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM”
Boy, am I glad to read that!        

Hi, I hope some expert can help here. I have a serious (head?) problem. The 2005 S40 starter keeps turning over, with the right-handlebar switch off & key off & removed.
This happened once before with an old savage I had & scared the hell out of me. It miraculously stopped before the little men in their white coats appeared.
Because of the Savage problem, I 'knew' it was the stuck points in the starter solenoid under the seat behind the ignition switch that was the problem, as a new one  rectified the Savage hassles.

WRONG! After doing what I thought was a darned good job (I even replaced the bottom bolt of the new solenoid without removing the airbox intake!) & before I attached the left side cover & seat, I touched the earth terminal to the battery to connect it. Away churns the starter again & I don't have the dough to get a mechanic onto it.
The wife says – 'You might not need to sell it just yet. It wasn't doing this before you changed the handlebars !'
She's right, but how right, and what could I possibly have done that alters the flamin' starter??

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still
Reply #1 - 02/22/16 at 13:33:48

SlipStream,

I think it is time for you to take the switch off of the handle bar and start looking over the switch and wiring.

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/22/16 at 13:45:45

when trouble shooting, always undo the last thing you did prior to the trouble.

remove the control from the bar, there maybe a bear wire under there... or a dead cat.

So... it wasn't the starter relay.  there have been a few fried decomp controllers that did the same thing.

hell, 1 post? where you been?

WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #3 - 02/22/16 at 15:09:24

verslagen1 wrote on 02/22/16 at 13:45:45:
when trouble shooting, always undo the last thing you did prior to the trouble.

remove the control from the bar, there maybe a bear wire under there... or a dead cat.

So... it wasn't the starter relay.  there have been a few fried decomp controllers that did the same thing.

hell, 1 post? where you been?

Musta been lurking  Shocked

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/22/16 at 18:13:14

KennyG  'I think it is time for you to take the switch off of the handle bar and start looking over the switch and wiring.'

Are you telling me that the red switch on the r/h bar is always live to the starter when the key is not in the ignition??
Inside that switch assmbly is like brand new. Don't think it has ever been opened 'til now.
This 2005 S40 had one elderly owner b4 I bought it a year back. It had done 19,000kms. The bike condition is like it has just come off the salesroom floor. Mint.

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/22/16 at 18:23:38

I hadn't finished that letter to KennyG & it whizzed off the planet, but I continue with verslagen1....
 Fried decompressor controller? I look in the index & 'De' for decompressor isn't even there! It starts with 'Di' for disc brakes. What a poor manual. I did find mention on Page 25 of the decompression cable but not the controller.  Where is that & how do I test & how did it so conveniently pack up between the time I started & finished the bar swap!??

Thanks all who are trying to assist me here in NZ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/22/16 at 18:48:16

I know that there is a place on the decompression solenoid controller that IF you put twelve volts to it, it Will fire the starter over, even if it is in gear, sidestand down, Key in your pocket.
I Wanna say it's the Second wire from the left, standing behind the bike, looking forward.
And,there is a single red , always hot, wire,running right close to it

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/22/16 at 19:51:16

Slip Stream,

I have not yet had any trouble with the starter/kill switch on my S40

Previous experience tells me that if I disassembled something and then had an electrical problem I should go back to square one and start inspecting for pinched wires. Nine out of ten times I would find the problem where I had something apart recently.

It is worth a shot to try because it is not a difficult assembly to inspect. If I didn't find a problem there I would remove the gas tank and look for pinched / damaged wires where the wires bend to go under the tank near the forks.

I am just sayin'...... It is your bike you can do what you want......

Kenny G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/22/16 at 20:28:59

Slipstream wrote on 02/22/16 at 18:23:38:
 Fried decompressor controller? I look in the index & 'De' for decompressor isn't even there! It starts with 'Di' for disc brakes. What a poor manual. I did find mention on Page 25 of the decompression cable but not the controller.  Where is that & how do I test & how did it so conveniently pack up between the time I started & finished the bar swap!??

the decomp controller is the black box that sits on top of the carb.  didn't find anything on testing it.

WWW   IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #9 - 02/22/16 at 20:37:20

If you disconnect the decompression controller (under the tank, top of carburetor) and the starter shuts off then that should be a sure sign it is bad.

Use a voltmeter and check the 2 small pins on the starter solenoid. Should be 0 volts when the starter button is not pressed. If it has 12 volts then you have a short or decomp cont issue. If it has 12 volts all the time then you definately have a short or a miss wired switch.

Make sure the starter is actually running or just freewheeling which would indicate a bad starter clutch bearing.  Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/23/16 at 05:11:20

But, the first rule is, if work gets done and Now you've got a problem, inspect the work.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/23/16 at 07:32:22

You can check for a short in the button wiring with a voltmeter at the clutch safety.

pull the connector and 1 of the wires will go to 12v when the button is pushed.

if it's always 12v then there's your problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/23/16 at 12:14:01

Thanks Kennyg, ; I found no cat fur in there & not even a spec of dust  Smiley Yes, gotta check it out. Everything looks as new in there, so for the time being I'll say to myself it is in working cond.

Thanks to Justin.

To v-pilot, you say 'So... it wasn't the starter relay.  there have been a few fried decomp controllers that did the same thing.'
So if it is fried & I try to connect the batt terminal back on, the starter can start turning? With the key in my pocket?

Thanks for the diagrams.

I have to check out Savageman & then I have to check out verslagen.....
I really don't know what to do as so many statements are thrown to me. When I get time ill empty the petrol & remove the tank again. How bloody depressing is this Smiley

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/23/16 at 17:20:58

Took tank off.
What is 'button wiring' &  'clutch safety'?  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Slipstream
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/23/16 at 17:47:33

Hi SAVAGEMAN,
you said-- ' If you disconnect the decompression controller (under the tank, top of carburetor) and the starter shuts off then that should be a sure sign it is bad. ' Answer = starter still activates.

'Use a voltmeter and check the 2 small pins on the starter solenoid. Should be 0 volts when the starter button is not pressed.
Answer = Yep, zero volts.
Thanks for that elimination.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter keeps turning. Fit new solenoid=still same

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.