Tuning (Read 215 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Tuning
02/20/16 at 17:41:09

I've been doing some tuning on my Savage lately. I swapped the 145 main for a 150. I started to  go for a 147.5, but the amount of trouble I had changing the jet, I went ahead with the 150. I currently the 3 washer spacer mod with stock air and exhaust.  I worried that it was a bit rich, but it's better slightly rich full throttle than lean, right? Undecided She's got plenty of power and takes off like a rocket, but don't most people with 150's have air/exhaust mods? I am at 1000-2000 ft, but the weather is still cool which would compensate. Undecided I can tell the difference, particularly in the sound. The last bit of throttle had more of a dry sound before, now it's more gurgly. Not sure about pulling. It might pull better on the last bit of throttle than before. It still pulls alright with the enrichment knob all the way out, but part throttle seems to suffer noticeably. The greatest difference the enrichment gives is in the idle circuit. Running with enrichment does seem make the engine run smoother, but hurts idle and may hurt power.

I do know one thing... I used a lot of gas.  Roll Eyes Started going up the mountain, and it felt weak, so I pulled over and turned around to a flat spot and checked the oil. When I put it on reserve, the idle sped up. Then I checked the tank. There was some gas still visible, but there was a lot of bare metal down there. When I filled the tank (spilling over), it came to around 2.3 gal. Might have gotten 100 miles out of it. Not positive of the exact number. I guess running the snot out of it hurts gas mileage.  Grin

Another thing is that, when warm, it often knocks upon cranking. Does this mean it's getting too hot, or is the idle mixture just too lean, or does everyone have that? Undecided

I've been working on the suspension again. This time the rear shocks. By the way, my homemade fork oil is working fine.  Grin On the other hand, I wish it had a better VI. In freezing temps it was a bit too stiff. Now, since temps are milder, I wish it were stiffer. Undecided I guess that's the way it always is.

Anyway, I've been messing with the rear shock settings. I noticed that if you turn it too far, it'll reset itself to zero. That doesn't hurt anything, does it? Undecided I really liked the stiffest setting, but I was worried that if I set it too stiff compared to the front, I would encourage a wobble. Sad. I tried all the way out (softest), and that was nice, but I felt like I could feel the increased squat. It's kinda like sitting in the bike as opposed to sitting on it. I liked the firm support of the stiffest setting, but it also worried me that it didn't squat much when I sat on it. When set a click below firmest, I got good support, but the ride seemed rough. I seemed to feel more bumps. Could it ride better firm or soft and worse in between? It's probably just me.  Wink

The front has a huge amount of travel and is soft, but the rear doesn't have much at all. If I set it firm for support, will I cause a suspension imbalance? Should I make pvc spacers for the front forks and put in even thicker oil? Should I just get some used Progressive Sportster shocks from Ebay? Do those cheap used shocks tend to have issues... like being worn out? I am considering the 140/90 tire. Do I need to use the firmest setting for that or, better yet, get some taller shocks?

I weigh around 200 lb, by the way.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Tuning
Reply #1 - 02/20/16 at 17:52:55

And, please, for the sake of all Savage owners, and humanity, if it's not already there in the tech documents, let them know this:

When changing the main jet, be very careful not to push the needle jet up into the carb, or you'll likely end up removing the whole carb like I did.

That thing drove me crazy! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

I tried to do it by just removing the bowl. It took me a long time of futile efforts trying to screw the main jet into a hole that it couldn't reach.  Angry. I even lost my washer and jet a time or two and had to straighten the washer after it got bent. After I figured out what happened, I tried to use dental hooks to pull it down, to no avail. It not only was pushed up there, but also turned so that the pin would not align with its slot. Had to take the thing off and take it apart. I think I even bent my float a little. Sad I think it's okay now.

Interesting how such a little thing can ruin everything. Huh Should have been a simple procedure, but it turned into open heart surgery (slight exagerration Wink).  Roll Eyes

At least I coated the new bowl gasket with petroleum jelly for easy removal. Cool

Another awesome bonus--No leaks!!!! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #2 - 02/20/16 at 18:06:50

Another thing, the shifting is getting (I'm not sure if I'm using the word correctly) notchy.

It sometimes doesn't want to downshift smoothly--well, at nearly a stop, anyway. The pedal will go down but no shift. I guess that means it needs an oil change? That's what people mean by "notchy?" I don't have very many miles on the oil. Maybe it needed a flush? Undecided Maybe running it hard got it dirty? Undecided Am I getting it too hot? Does that cause bad shifting? I have the constant issue of mud getting in the cooling fins. My driveway stays muddy.

I wonder if I should have said that... Now everyone will automatically blame all my problems on mud in fins, right? Roll Eyes

How do air-cooled dirt bikes survive?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 02/20/16 at 19:36:40

To fix my shifting "problems" I learned to not coast with the clutch pulled in. Shift immediately after squeezing the clutch. If you get stuck in between gears then let off the clutch a little and let the bike roll (push it, if you have to, at red lights and such) and then it should smoothly engage the gears.

Motorcycle transmissions are not as smooth and forgiving as car transmissions.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 02/20/16 at 19:50:02

Quote:
How do air-cooled dirt bikes survive?

With lots of cooling fins, loose tolerances, and fairly low compression ratios. Which is why almost all modern, high performance,dirt bike engines are liquid cooled.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 02/20/16 at 22:21:37

Check the shifter rod isn't bent, the ball joints move nicely and give everything a bit of lube. And when you shift down gears, you are matching revs with a little blip of throttle to speed the engine up to the new gearbox speed? And this might sound crazy but I get smoother shifts on my older bikes by lifting the clutch lever as I pull it in. Dunno if it gets a smidge of extra pull by compensating for the worn out perch and pin or its psychosomatic but there it is. The new bikes don't seem to make a difference. FWIW Suzuki are not famous for butter smooth transmissons. They do make hella strong ones though.

If you loosen the two big hose clamps on the carb you can rotate the whole thing enough to remove the float bowl and work on it easily.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/20/16 at 22:23:25

Gas mileage...
  There's a tendency, when you make performance changes... to try them out...  
Vroom Vroom... Grin...
That might explain the excess fuel usage...

Give yourself a week or so to calm down...
A richer mix, will use a bit more... (there are no free power gains)... but wait and see...

Stiffer rear shock preload,... will transfer weight forward... and that won't increase wobble...
When wobble happens,.. you want to increase weight forward...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #7 - 02/21/16 at 06:31:54

Interesting... Keep it coming. There's a lot to talk about.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/21/16 at 08:17:44

Look at Bots mudflap. That boy has a fine mudflap,
And a purdy mouf.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/21/16 at 09:09:01

Serowbot wrote on 02/20/16 at 22:23:25:
Gas mileage...
  There's a tendency, when you make performance changes... to try them out...  
Vroom Vroom... Grin...
That might explain the excess fuel usage...

Give yourself a week or so to calm down...
A richer mix, will use a bit more... (there are no free power gains)... but wait and see...

Stiffer rear shock preload,... will transfer weight forward... and that won't increase wobble...
When wobble happens,.. you want to increase weight forward...

well darn, maybe I needed even more preload on my S40

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 02/21/16 at 12:03:38

gizzo wrote on 02/20/16 at 22:21:37:
If you loosen the two big hose clamps on the carb you can rotate the whole thing enough to remove the float bowl and work on it easily.

which direction is easiest/best to rotate the carb with this method?  Bowl toward the shifter or bowl toward the rear brake pedal?
I ask because my carb rides against my battery box and I have to take apart a buncha stuff to get the carb off.

and JOG, if i'da been drinking anything, it woulda shot out my nose. Grin

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/21/16 at 12:08:45

Tocsik wrote on 02/21/16 at 12:03:38:
gizzo wrote on 02/20/16 at 22:21:37:

which direction is easiest/best to rotate the carb with this method?  Bowl toward the shifter or bowl toward the rear brake pedal?
I ask because my carb rides against my battery box and I have to take apart a buncha stuff to get the carb off.

simple method to get the bat box outta the way...
hook a ratchet strap to the top right shock mount run it around the bat box and put the other hook on the axle.  tighten till you got a little clearance.

WWW   IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #12 - 02/21/16 at 21:56:40

Any other comments?

Is a 150 good for stock setup, or is that too rich for my altitude? Is a "crack" upon warm cranking a sign of lean idle mixture or overheating? Or is it something everyone deals with?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 02/22/16 at 07:14:33

At your altitude it may run great while it's cold outside. Once the weather turns warm you may be slightly rich. Only time will tell. Each engine is a little different.

I'm running a 150 main at probably 100-200 ft ASL. It's slightly lean in the winter but runs great on those hot humid days.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #14 - 02/22/16 at 21:36:35

I sometimes hear/feel a "thunk, thunk" when pulling out. Is the belt jumping teeth?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:35:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.