Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Can you say "Paper Thin"? (Read 504 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Can you say "Paper Thin"?
Reply #60 - 02/29/16 at 18:54:42

I would think that the worn ones would be firmer. Wouldn't more brake material be more compressible than less? Or does it have to do with the amount of piston travel? Does more brake fluid in the brake cylinder cause more give in the brakes?

I know they like to teach that liquids and solids aren't really compressible, but I think they do compress a little. Let's get an engineer in here... Dave! Get in here!  Grin

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #61 - 02/29/16 at 18:58:17

springman wrote on 02/29/16 at 18:32:21:
Hey Cheapnewb24, I'm glad you posted all those pictures cause my volar pads are the exact same ones. I just got mine on the bike and went for a brief ride. First of all, they are quiet. Second, they seem to grab pretty well. I did a few hard stops and as best I can tell I am stopping as well as with the EBC pads. Now we nee to see how long they last. By the way, overall first impression, these are much better than the FA106R that I am returning to the vendor.

The brake lever does feel a good bit firmer but I suspect that is because there is so much more pad material now (no I did not bleed them yet). Hopefully I will get to do some riding later in the week and will let you know how they feel.

Did you notice all this before you saw my post? Huh If so, that would do well to confirm my findings. Nice to hear that someone noticed the same. Maybe it's not placebo or something. Smiley

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #62 - 02/29/16 at 19:05:10

The the different colored bits that you see in the pads should be kevlar as these are kevlar organic.

I believe the reason the brake lever feels firmer is as you indicated, less piston travel with the same amount of brake fluid. And no, liquid is not compressible. There could be a bit of hose expansion that you might feel or at worst possibly some air in the line.

I was trying to figure out what pads your old ones are but the only ones I could see with a red backing plate are EBC X pads. But I cannot say I know what brand those old pads are.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #63 - 02/29/16 at 19:06:16

I did actually notice the firmer feel of the brake lever. You confirmed for me that I did not imagine it.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #64 - 02/29/16 at 19:27:28

Awesome! Smiley

I wonder if the rubber line swelling isn't a good thing. There is a company that sells a little device that bolts onto the brake system to give it some "give," thereby reducing the chance of lockup while retaining braking performance. I can't say that everyone believes it works, though. Roll Eyes

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #65 - 02/29/16 at 19:36:54

By the way, Springman, do you have the Shinko 712 rear or the 230? I was thinking of trying the 712. Do you have the stock rear fender? How much clearance do you get?

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #66 - 02/29/16 at 19:53:13

After doing some reading, I read some things about periodically changing brake lines. Do I need to worry about that? Huh

I read about stainless steel lines, but they need more replacing and can fail unexpectedly.

Gotta burn more money now? Sad

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #67 - 02/29/16 at 20:19:06

Another picture

CAM00102.jpg

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #68 - 02/29/16 at 20:20:21

A picture after I washed the pads. The camera is terrible, but you might be able to see that there is a lot of copper in these old pads.

CAM00104.jpg

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #69 - 02/29/16 at 20:20:58

another

CAM00105.jpg

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #70 - 02/29/16 at 20:23:45

Semi-sintered? Or do organic pads have this much copper?

It's harder to see the copper in the picture compared to one's own eyes.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #71 - 03/01/16 at 03:22:29

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/29/16 at 19:53:13:
After doing some reading, I read some things about periodically changing brake lines. Do I need to worry about that? Huh

I read about stainless steel lines, but they need more replacing and can fail unexpectedly.

Gotta burn more money now? Sad

Its not a bad idea to change the hoses now and again. OTOH my savage still sports the sqidgy old 1986 hose. It seems ok. So its up to you. My other bikes have braided and I don't see any need to go back to rubber. I prefer the better feel of the non expandable braided ones. And looks the goods.
More important is changing brake fluid every couple years. You'll feel that difference, for sure.

I can't lock the front at normal speed (i did once going really slow, just to see if).

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #72 - 03/01/16 at 08:47:59

Hey Cheapnewbe24, looks like you had sintered or semi-metallic pads previously.

Yes, I have the Shinko 712 on the rear with standard rear fender and have not had any issues. I am actually on my second Shinko 712 rear tire and I feel that specially for the money it is a really good tire. When I replace the front tire (currently a Pirelli) I will replace with a Shinko 230. I am not sure about how much clearance I have with the 712 but as I said I have not had any issues. I have the original shocks and fully dressed with riding gear I am close to 190 lbs. in weight.

I do not know about failure rate of braided steel hoses but I do understand they give a better feel. I've never used them. As far as replacing the rubber ones my understanding is that you replace them if the rubber is starting to look bad. So if it looks OK and works OK, no need to spend more money.

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #73 - 03/01/16 at 09:04:06

I'm currently using the 712 front, and I like it fairly well. But since I don't have much experience to go by, who knows? Roll Eyes I put close to 39 psi in both tires recently, and I kinda like it. The 712 front has 40 psi max, though, so that's about all I can do.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #74 - 03/01/16 at 09:05:52

no pics/links... it didn't happen.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:32:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can you say "Paper Thin"?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.