Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Can you say "Paper Thin"? (Read 504 times)
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Re: Can you say "Paper Thin"?
Reply #15 - 02/21/16 at 21:46:55

You can look it up. The plain 106 is the organic, which you want. The others consist of other materials. You don't want them.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/22/16 at 08:33:44

springman wrote on 02/21/16 at 20:16:11:
I rode my bike some more today to see if I could get used to the EBC FA106R pads the ebay vendor sent me when I actually ordered the FA106 (organic pads). The R pads still seem like they do not stop as well as the organics and they are definitely not as smooth in the stopping action and they continue to groan incredibly loud.

I also did some research on EBC pads and found that the R pads are intended for off road use, they are motocross pads. If the vendor had wanted to send me sintered pads for street use it would have been EBC FA106V.

I hope to get a response from the vendor tomorrow and depending on how he intends to remedy this I may just try a carbon/kevlar set from Volar or Sixity for $8.00 while I wait for my replacement EBC organic pads. I see that the Bikemaster are a bit cheaper than EBC but only by about 4 bucks. I am guessing these (8 dollar pads) will work properly though may not last as long as the EBC.

Well, let's see what happens tomorrow.

I think the 106 R are race pads, not motocross pads, race tracks are off road, too, and R for Race makes a certain sense
Also, while no one with any sense would call a Savage a track bike, you'd heave to be really silly to call it a motocross bike  Grin

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/22/16 at 08:50:43

No Art, I did my research, the EBC FA106R was developed for off road use. The so-called equivalent to the R suffix for street use is the V suffix. I got the info directly from EBC.

Do the R pads work on the S40? Yes. Will they last longer than the organic pads? Probably. Do they work as well as the organic pads? It depends, they are not as smooth and their initial bite is not as strong under my normal riding conditions. I understand that as they heat up they will bite quicker but unless I am at the Dragon, I really will not be doing repeated braking.

Anyway, at this point I figured I might as well just try this out and report back on them as the vendor will not be exchanging them. I have also ordered a set of Volar organics for $7.70 from ebay and will try those out also shortly as i doubt I will keep the FA106R pads on the bike for long as they just do not feel right and are horribly noisy.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #18 - 02/22/16 at 08:55:53

Hey Hotprops. In response to your question I would say buy the FA106 kevlar/organic pads. I have not tried their V pads, but V would be the correct suffix for the pads for street use. If the V pads are anything like the R pads I suspect you will not like them based on their initial lack of bite.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #19 - 02/22/16 at 21:38:02

Bought the Volar Kevlar-carbon pads earlier this past day.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 02/23/16 at 01:09:48

Huh? I have only replaced my front brake pads twice on my 02. The second set is still in great shape as well as my rear brake pads.  I just hit 56,000 miles. You riding with your foot on the brakes?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/23/16 at 04:47:02

stinger wrote on 02/23/16 at 01:09:48:
Huh? I have only replaced my front brake pads twice on my 02. The second set is still in great shape as well as my rear brake pads.  I just hit 56,000 miles. You riding with your foot on the brakes?

It all depends on how you ride.

If you cruise around enjoying the scenery, and don't brake aggressively....the front pads last a long time.

If you chase Oldfeller and MMRanch around a couple times a year on the Dragon trips.....you can wear out your pads in very short order.  It is not uncommon to turn the front rotor a nice shade of purple after a spirited run on the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway or Route 32.

I don't believe anyone has actually worn out a set of rear brake shoes.  They may get a bit squeaky after they get really old - but they never seem to wear out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 02/23/16 at 07:54:35

My front rotor was blue to purple most of the dragon trip, and I'm SLLOOOOWWWW compared to MM, OF and dave (and everyone else Grin)

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #23 - 02/23/16 at 12:04:05

Dave, I'm glad to see your comment regarding the back brakes as I was thinking a better take a look at them but really did not feel like removing the wheel from the bike. I will look at the rear brake when I change rear tire again.

Hey cheapnewbie, I guess you and I will be the test dummies for the Volar pads. Let us know when you put them on and what you think about them. I'll poet on my experience with them also. Now that you also got the Volar I almost wish I would have gotten the Sixity pads just so we could have another set of pads to report on.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 02/23/16 at 12:07:34

Stinger, I do not know what to say to you. 56k miles on one set of pads, incredible!!!

I have to admit though that even though I may not ride as spiritedly as some of the most experienced guys here, I do get a bit feisty on the bike every now and then. Grin Grin Grin  And yes, that definitely contributes to faster pad wear.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 02/23/16 at 12:35:19

springman wrote on 02/23/16 at 12:07:34:
I have to admit though that even though I may not ride as spiritedly as some of the most experienced guys here,

I can testify that hearing Steve's 800 pound Harley snarling just a few feet from my back tire......caused me to brake really late and really hard on quite a few of the corners!  I couldn't out accelerate him....so I had to see if I make each straight section last a few more feet farther than he could....and then brake with everything I had!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 02/23/16 at 14:23:07

Dave, I'm glad I did not try to keep up with you and Steve on the dragon. I was happy just trying to keep Versy in my line of sight, which was actually not that easy a task for me. Every time I thought I would loose sight of him traffic would slow him down. I have to admit I never thought to look at my rotor after finishing the ride.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #27 - 02/23/16 at 14:49:26

Having had Steve behind me on some of those roads, I can attest to the intimidation factor of that big monster he rides on my rear tire
Simultaneously made me want to go slower and faster (slower won, of course) I was seriously afraid he was gonna punt me off the road

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 02/24/16 at 23:11:48

First thing I did when we purchased our bikes was to put new pads on them.
And have a shop put them on! LOL, well change the wife's tires so I had them put my prepurchased pads on it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 02/25/16 at 05:27:31

I did try the FA106 Xpads once....it was a mistake.  The front brake felt like I had wood for brake pads.  They didn't want to slow the bike down, and you had to squeeze really hard to get them to do anything.  They were not something that you would want in your bike if you had to scrub off speed in a hurry.

The shape of the pads in the Savage is the same as some dirt bikes and ATV calipers, and that unfortunately makes it possible to fit pads in the Savage caliper that don't provide good braking performance for our street use.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:28:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can you say "Paper Thin"?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.