Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: HP vs torque...
Reply #15 - 02/18/16 at 12:53:10

jcstokes wrote on 02/18/16 at 12:30:20:
Why do we need to spin the back wheel?

Because it's "Bad Ass"....... Huh

Ask Sluggo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pnqtSfqcM

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/18/16 at 14:45:35

Dave, wife is out of town so no video. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 02/18/16 at 16:25:11

Dave wrote on 02/18/16 at 12:53:10:
jcstokes wrote on 02/18/16 at 12:30:20:
Why do we need to spin the back wheel?

Because it's "Bad Ass"....... Huh

Ask Sluggo!

That's the thing to do,.. when your tire's completely gone, and you really hate yer' neighbors...
Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 02/18/16 at 17:58:06

The last bike before my first Savage was a KZ750 4cylinder and it had HP.    Roll Eyes I think I like the toque better !  Cool

Years ago I had a SX-650 Yamaha , I think it was only 54HP but it had plenty of toque.   Most of my buds back then had 750 Honda's , and they all would have to down shift a couple gears to keep-up when I'd do a high gear acceleration .   The SX-650 had good toque !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #19 - 02/18/16 at 18:16:19

Dave wrote on 02/18/16 at 10:55:00:
The thing you should pay attention to......is that the DYNO sheet shows that the Savage engine is making a lot of torque by 2,500 rpm.....and the torque is strong from 3,000 up to 5,000 rpm.

Multiple cylinder engines don't make toque at those low  revs. (unless it's a diesel).

not true
My XS 1100 could be accelerated smoothly and strongly out of a tirn at any RPM over 2k
it was one of the most tractable engines I ever experienced

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 02/18/16 at 20:03:36

Art
So the 1100 was a long stroke ?   I rode my SX-650 next to a feller on a Triumph 650 single carb chopper.  We went from Jacksonville FL. to San Antonio , TX.    Well his bike would high-gear pull away from mine , much to my surprise !   I looked up the numbers on the Triumph next chance I got -- it had small pistons and a long stroke .   You know what ?  Every time we would fuel-up , mine would need time and a half what his did (The Yamaha only got in the  30's mpg.).

Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/19/16 at 05:12:12

Art Webb wrote on 02/18/16 at 18:16:19:
The thing you should pay attention to......is that the DYNO sheet shows that the Savage engine is making a lot of torque by 2,500 rpm.....and the torque is strong from 3,000 up to 5,000 rpm.

Multiple cylinder engines don't make toque at those low  revs. (unless it's a diesel).

not true
My XS 1100 could be accelerated smoothly and strongly out of a tirn at any RPM over 2k

There is no doubt that big engines can make torque.....but I have no doubt the XS1100 made a lot more torque at 6,000 rpm than it did at 2,000 rpm.  The point that I was trying to make is that our big single has nearly all of the torque available by 2,500 rpm.....and that doesn't happen on engines with multiple cylinders (same displacement).  A 650cc single is going to make more low end torque than a 650cc twin.  There is no doubt that a Harley V-Twin makes a lot of torque.....they do that by bolting two big singles together to make a V-Twin!

There is a new breed of bike out today.....they are made to have a big flat torque curve that doesn't require a lot of gear changes when riding.  Most of them are big twins like the Yamaha MT01, Suzuki M109, Moto Guzzi Audace, BMW 1200R.

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/technical/torque/

« Last Edit: 02/19/16 at 06:40:31 by Dave »  

Yamaha_MT-01_2005.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 02/19/16 at 06:34:41

MMRanch wrote on 02/18/16 at 20:03:36:
Art
So the 1100 was a long stroke ?   I rode my SX-650 next to a feller on a Triumph 650 single carb chopper.  We went from Jacksonville FL. to San Antonio , TX.    Well his bike would high-gear pull away from mine , much to my surprise !   I looked up the numbers on the Triumph next chance I got -- it had small pistons and a long stroke .   You know what ?  Every time we would fuel-up , mine would need time and a half what his did (The Yamaha only got in the  30's mpg.).

Wink

I don't know the bore x stroke, but that's probably a good bet
All the moto mags of the time were as impressed as I was

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #23 - 02/19/16 at 06:55:00

Dave wrote on 02/19/16 at 05:12:12:
Art Webb wrote on 02/18/16 at 18:16:19:

not true

There is no doubt that big engines can make torque.....but I have no doubt the XS1100 made a lot more torque at 6,000 rpm than it did at 2,000 rpm.  The point that I was trying to make is that our big single has nearly all of the torque available by 2,500 rpm.....and that doesn't happen on engines with multiple cylinders (same displacement).  A 650cc single is going to make more low end torque than a 650cc twin.  There is no doubt that a Harley V-Twin makes a lot of torque.....they do that by bolting two big singles together to make a V-Twin!

There is a new breed of bike out today.....they are made to have a big flat torque curve that doesn't require a lot of bear changes when riding.  Most of them are big twins like the Yamaha MT01, Suzuki M109, Moto Guzzi Audace, BMW 1200R.

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/technical/torque/

with no access to a dyno, I can't tell you ezact # at 2k
Peak torque was 65 lb ft at 6500 RPM
Savage engine's peak torque is at 3 or 4k IIRC
Savage redlines at 6500 or 68, I forget which, XS redlined at 8500
top gear was similar for both bikes, with the S40 spinning 4k or so at 70 I do believe, and the XS spinning 4k at 70 as well
the XS would pull smoothly out of a turn at 25 MPH in 5th gear, and that's with the parasitic losses of a shaft drive
tMy S40 would not
This is based on riding the two bikes back to back on the same roads, often on the asmae days
you didn't say multis don't make most of their torque at 2k, you said they don't make torque at 2k
for most multis that's true, the XS, and a few other multis over the years, though, have shown that they can
even the moto mags were shocked at how much grunt it had down low
there was a definite bump at 65K, if you were brave enough to keep the throttle open, but it was power everywhere
yes, the S40 will pull a multi of similar CCs, off the line,, because it's 1 pisotn is 2x the size, or even 4x the size, of the one in the multi, and it is a long stroke motor, built for torque, but if it's designed to, a multi can make torque at 2K

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 02/19/16 at 07:24:07

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 02/19/16 at 12:51:09

I Like bear changes.
I Still don't think I really understand how it really works.
As one guy points out, with HP, and gearing, acceleration is available. With HP, top speeds are available, with gearing..
He didn't say torque was immaterial, not at all.
I think I Enjoyed the torque of the Savage, but I tended to keep it wound up more than I cruised at low speeds in higher gears.
I'm not sure What I liked about it, but, whatever it was, I sure liked it a lot.
And the best car I ever had was a 78 Grand Prix, and I had a Z 28 once, I'll take the Pontiac.
I'm hoping to get the title straight on the W 650. Should that work out, I think it's gonna be my Forever bike. Maybe not as quick and snappy across town, but , no cam chain, shims on the valves. Pretty much, gas, oil, tires... And chain, AND sprockets... inspiration to Not accelerate too hard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 02/19/16 at 18:49:16

Nice find Versy
Mine was the standard, not the midnight special, but the engine specs are the same

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 02/19/16 at 19:05:25

wasn't hard to find, but it was the 1st with all the info.

WWW   IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #28 - 02/19/16 at 19:15:30

I don't see HP, it was 95 @ 8500
the standard had a slightly different frame, euro bars, a flatter seat, and a larger tank

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:15:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › HP vs torque...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.