Two trends? (Read 114 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Two trends?
02/16/16 at 01:55:36

Spent the week-end in Portland Or. at the One Motorcycle Show for cafe' bikes. Found at least 20% of bikes using this unit as a headlight in vertical position:
http://www.amazon.com/Westin-09-12232-Single-Row-Light/dp/B00IBH6W2Y/ref=sr_1...
or the double:
http://www.amazon.com/Westin-09-12215-54F-Double-Row-Light/dp/B00IBH5964/ref=...
Also, found another 20% of bikes scrapping their master cylinders for short lengths of vinyl tubing(4") connected at the lever and capped at the end with a short air space above the brake fluid. Claimed to be safe? Photos as soon as I unpack my camera. Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Two trends?
Reply #1 - 02/16/16 at 03:55:55

Those LED light bars are OK for show bikes - but not for one you are going to ride after dark.  They just scatter a bunch of light and it won't work as a headlight in the real world.  It just doesn't have enough power to shine several hundred feet down the road, and it will blind any oncoming traffic as there is no vertical cutoff or control of the light pattern....it just throws a big wad of light.  They really are just "work lights".....good for mounting on your tractor or ATV for when you need to go fix fence after dark.  If those fellows ever try to ride down a country road after dark,.....it won't take them long to realize what a mistake they have made with their headlight "fashion" statement.

I have see that brake fluid tubing trick on a bike in a show last year.  As long as your pads don't wear and you monitor the level....I suppose it works.  It doesn't have the ability to compensate for pad wear - so you have to keep an eye on the fluid and keep the tube topped up.......and be ready to catch the fluid that spills out if you spread the caliper to install new pads.  I can't see that installing a small reservoir someplace would detract from the "curb appeal" of the bike.

« Last Edit: 02/16/16 at 10:11:42 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 02/16/16 at 09:05:41

I've got an LED kinda like that on the back of my Kubota tractor , and your right Dave , it makes a great work light !  Wink   Its really White .  Shocked

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 02/16/16 at 12:24:34

The tube idea has been around for donkeys years. Its not uncommon on track bikes and streetfighters to replace a remote reservoir that got broken. Completely safe and no problem.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 02/16/16 at 12:29:02

This was the first time I saw both of these items. Another example of 'form over function'. Amazing how these things catch on. With good luck, they'll stay on the show circuit, not the street.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #5 - 02/16/16 at 16:48:01

Those lights or ones similar are becoming popular in the F150 truck forum for replacing the "fog lights" on the trucks.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 02/16/16 at 18:19:24

Isn't there a piston in the master cylinder to push the brake fluid through? Without it you just have gravity pulling the fluid through. Someone educate me on this. It doesn't sound safe at all to me but I know as much about this as I do brain surgery!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 02/16/16 at 22:12:15

a few pics:
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/zipidachimp/library/portland?sort=2&page=1
the orange bike is a 2015 duc scrambler with a grafted on rear section, and handmade tank, lovely workmanship.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #8 - 02/17/16 at 00:58:02

Kris01 wrote on 02/16/16 at 18:19:24:
Isn't there a piston in the master cylinder to push the brake fluid through? Without it you just have gravity pulling the fluid through. Someone educate me on this. It doesn't sound safe at all to me but I know as much about this as I do brain surgery!

The piston is downstream of the master cylinder or hose that replaces it.
Think of it in this context, appropriately Americanised Tongue: The master cylinder is a hopper, where you might pour a pile of bullets (or brake fluid). The master cylinder piston is the breech of your machine gun. The piston takes fluid (or bullets) from the hopper and pumps (or shoots) them down the brake line (or barrel). While the bullets arene't needed they just sit there in the hopper, waiting their turn. Difference being, with a brake, more bullets only come out to compensate for the brake pads wearing. So, you really only need a small amount of fluid waiting upstream of the master cylinder. I wonder if that makes any sense at all?

Edit: just looked at the pic of the scrambler: It's a radial master cylinder so a bit different execution but the idea's the same.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/17/16 at 07:16:13

the bikes still have a 'master cylinder' just not a reservoir
safe until the pads wear, then you gotta add fluid manually, whereas with a standard MC with reservoir, the fluid is added automagically

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/17/16 at 07:23:56

gizzo wrote on 02/16/16 at 12:24:34:
The tube idea has been around for donkeys years. Its not uncommon on track bikes and streetfighters to replace a remote reservoir that got broken. Completely safe and no problem.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1350184380/0#0

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 02/17/16 at 13:57:32

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print