Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
question about that oil leak under the exhaust (Read 450 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
question about that oil leak under the exhaust
02/14/16 at 07:37:30

This is the leak from the nut inside the cavity just under the exhaust header.
I've read several posts where folks have just removed the nut, cleaned things up and reinstalled with some RTV to fix it.  

Is that nut on a stud so there's no need to hold the other end of a bolt up top?  I put a wrench on it and feels tight so wanted to ask before putting any more torque on it.
Is this related to the head plug leak?  My searching/reading on the forum tells me "no", which would be great.
I did come across one post where it was stated that it could be the front left bolt that holds the chrome cover on the motor and I have had that sucker off in the past to access the spark plug so I'll prob'ly check that one.

I didn't have this until I did the Versy CCT which seems strange since I didn't touch the top of the motor and haven't put but a hundred miles or so on the bike since then.  BTW, I currently have just over 10K miles on it if that helps.
I first noticed a little smoking from the cylinder when warming up the bike to ride home from work and then found the oil.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: question about that oil leak under the exhaust
Reply #1 - 02/14/16 at 11:18:40

Oil seems to be able to weep around the mulitple layers of the head gasket, and the oil can ooze out the stud under the intake and exhaust port.

Remove the nut and clean it, clean the stud really well, and apply some sealant on the threads and bottom flange of the nut.....not a big glob...just a bit.  Then tighten the nut down pretty snugly - supposed to be torqued buy I just tighten it down with a wrench to a one-handed tight.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 02/14/16 at 11:22:23

Mine leaked there too. I took off the nut (it's on a stud so you don't have to hold the other end) cleaned it up, rtv'ed it and tightened it up. It leaked again shorty thereafter. Did it again with high heat rtv (copper) and added a lock washer. Now I snug it up every 400-500 miles and it hasn't leaked in 7000 miles. Just don't over-tighten it, if you strip the stud you will have to pull the head to fix it. Use a box end wrench no more than 6" long and tighten it till it hurts your hand and it should be fine. NO BREAKER BARS or long extensions for more leverage!

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #3 - 02/14/16 at 17:54:53

I had trouble with the exact same nut. With mine, the nut had fallen off completely. I drove the thing for who knows how long without that nut. For all I know, it might have been gone when I bought the thing. I rode to the dealership, and they gave me a nut and let me borrow a wrench to put it on free of charge.

I lost a lot more oil with that nut missing than you are. From the look of the pictures, it is but a tiny dribble.

Of course, by all means, follow the instructions the others have given you since I am no authority here.  I take no responsibility for your bike crashing, falling apart, exploding or spontaneously being struck by lightning and bursting into flames as a consequence of neglecting this little leak and following my obscene and blasphemous example.  Grin

Dave, don't delete this post. My experience is relevant here. [Boo!] Tongue

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/16/16 at 04:53:55

cheapnewb24 wrote on 02/14/16 at 17:54:53:
Dave, don't delete this post. My experience is relevant here. [Boo!] Tongue

Relevant....maybe....in a "Don't do what I did" sort of way.

The proper nut is a flanged nut, with a smooth (not serrated) bottom to spread the load onto the aluminum head - don't use a nut with a serrated  bottom or any lock washer, as it will chew away at the aluminum and make it hard to seal.  The factory part is silver on the engines with silver cylinders, and a black oxide finish on the bikes with a black cylinder.  I doubt if color really makes much of a difference, as the nuts are well hidden.

Clean the stud, cylinder and nut if they are oily, then put a small dab of sealer on the flange and the stud before installing the nut.

flange_nut.jpg

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/16/16 at 06:38:33

Good info, Dave.

I'm semi-laid up after shoulder surgery & doing preventative chores like this one will help my morale...make me feel I'm "in the game" even though I can't be "in the wind."

Do you think a dab of blue Loctite on stud threads would be a good idea to further prevent loosening & leakage down the road?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/16/16 at 07:28:44

Blue locktite is definitely useful on the Savage, and using it on this stud wouldn't hurt a thing....however the sealant will do the same thing.

The only downside of using sealant - is that you cannot ever "check" the bolt for tightness....or you will ruin the seal.  You will have to remove it, clean it up, and "re-seal" it.  The factory doesn't use sealer in this location, as the head gasket is not supposed to weep any oil....however it seems that many years and many miles seems to make the bike a bit leaky.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 02/17/16 at 16:08:53

I started with the easy method before removing the nut, cleaning and RTV'ing.  I just put a 12mm combo wrench on the nut and tightened a bit (grimaced a little while worried about stripping). Did this after running the motor a little to warm things up.  Only got a little bit of movement and then cleaned up with a rag and carb cleaner.  Started up again and saw a small "snot bubble" of oil on the tip of the stud but no more leak.  I thought that initial bubble was going to tell me I was in for more work but everything good so far.

Could this mean there's a chance I actually need to re-check torque on the cylinder head nuts/bolts per the Clymer manual?  I have read here some do this and some don't.  I don't have any other obvious leaks (quickly knocks wood) so prob'ly won't fix wut aint broke.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/20/17 at 11:25:20

I'm having a very similar issue. I just changed the petcock to gravity and the oil to Rotella T5 15W40. Is this the same problem? Maybe because I switched oils? Thoughts?

IP Logged
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/20/17 at 11:28:07

Picture of issue here

IMG_20170920_142147.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/20/17 at 14:19:03

Changing oil brands doesn't cause leaks.

IF that is on the left front side of the engine....it could be the head plug, or the failure of the sealant between the head and head cover.

You need to clean, run the engine....and look to see where the oil leak originates.

IP Logged
Zach906
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/20/17 at 15:18:13

That is the left front. I'll be able to clean it up and diagnose more tomorrow.
Thank you

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 09/20/17 at 16:21:52

The nut we're out in talking about is basically on a head bolt,it only needs to be torqued to 20 ft/lbs .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #13 - 09/24/17 at 08:05:23

I've had similar problems just in the past month.  I tried the tightening suggestion (mine was definitely not tight enough) but that didn't help stop the problem, just slowed it down.

Last evening I took nut off, completely cleaned around everything, and then reassembled using Permatex Form-A-Gasket (stays flexible) and re-torqued tighter.  We'll see.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 09/24/17 at 19:24:29

The four main head bolts are sealed with copper washers .Can anyone spare a penny?( old ones are95% pure copper5%zinc, before mid1982 after that they are junk-97.5% zinc 2.5%copper ) Sand both sides of one of them old puppies smooth, drill a hole, anneal, apply-20ft/lbs torque- BINGO!

« Last Edit: 09/26/17 at 10:24:51 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 19:12:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about that oil leak under the exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.