Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Goodbye facebook - hello MeWe (Read 93 times)
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Goodbye facebook - hello MeWe
02/12/16 at 05:15:56

I finally cut ties with facebook. I won't go into a rant on facebook's privacy terms (because there is no privacy), but I've got to say I love MeWe's terms and conditions. Written in plain language you can read and understand in less than a minute.

If you have kids, I strongly recommend you get them off facebook and on MeWe. Especially now that fb has implemented facial recognition. That is kind of creepy.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/229742/Why_Facebooks_Facial_Recognition_is_Cre...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Goodbye facebook - hello MeWe
Reply #1 - 02/12/16 at 06:09:36

I've heard of Facebook...
That's the place where people without friends go to get pretend friends...
... and share personal stuff with strangers that could care less.

I already do that here... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/12/16 at 06:40:39

I'm on FB
might post there once a month
honestly most FBers could care less about stuff i like to discuss, so I go to moto forums to discus motos, car forums to talk cars, strength training forums to talk training, MA forums to talk about that type of training
in short, I go to places where others actually want to talk about the same stuff i want to talk about

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #3 - 02/12/16 at 07:06:22

Facebook doesn't want a lot of information. Just your name, age, birthday, what you look like, where you were born, where you live now, your education level, where you went to school, where you went to college, what tv shows you watch, what movies you see, what books you read, what music you listen to, where you shop, what you buy, who you're friends with, ...

The rest of the info about you, they can get from scanning what you post. It's not like they pry into your personal life. It's just a little info they need to sell to whoever wants to buy it.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/12/16 at 07:20:20

most of that info I didn't give them  Grin
incomplete profile FTW

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 02/12/16 at 07:52:44

Drestakil, I think you make a valid point. I am on facebook but like Art hardly ever go there and like Art I did not fill out all the info on myself. I truly do not like this massive data collection so I might be right behind you in leaving fb. Thanks for the info.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #6 - 02/12/16 at 07:59:53

springman wrote on 02/12/16 at 07:52:44:
Drestakil, I think you make a valid point. I am on facebook but like Art hardly ever go there and like Art I did not fill out all the info on myself. I truly do not like this massive data collection so I might be right behind you in leaving fb. Thanks for the info.

When fb cracked down on a bunch of law-abiding gun groups, they made a mass migration to MeWe.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 02/12/16 at 08:10:11

you just said the magic words, how do I get off FB?
I have no truck with those who would deny or restrict my rights

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/12/16 at 08:53:47

Drestakil wrote on 02/12/16 at 07:06:22:
Facebook doesn't want a lot of information. Just your name, age, birthday, what you look like, where you were born, where you live now, your education level, where you went to school, where you went to college, what tv shows you watch, what movies you see, what books you read, what music you listen to, where you shop, what you buy, who you're friends with, ...

The rest of the info about you, they can get from scanning what you post. It's not like they pry into your personal life. It's just a little info they need to sell to whoever wants to buy it.

yes, they keep asking for that info, I keep 'skip'ping... FFB!

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 02/12/16 at 09:49:32

"FFB", how very apt Verslagen.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 02/12/16 at 18:09:58

I don't use Facebook...never have. I don't have any use for it. From what I've seen, it's a complete waste of time.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 02/12/16 at 19:35:23

I use face book all the time, every day.....
I have 106 or so friends.... to become my friend, I have to actually meet you.... dozens of times.
My privacy settings are "for friends only" and a couple of them are "family only"
If you buy from a store with your credit card.... your card company is tracking what you buy and sending that information off to google and face book or what ever ad company they deam as a "third party".
Your cell phone and cable companies... pretty much do the same... track where you are, and what you watch.
If you use your cell phone or computer to buy stuff, they know where you are and what you buy.... then pass that info to the "third party".
If you use your browser...no matter what OS.... watch the ads that pop up.
They will pertain to something you typed, or a site you visited.... if you are worried about your privacy..... throw away all your electronics.... no REALLY... throw them away.
Wonder why there are VERY FEW cell phones with removable batteries now days? Yup....even when you are not using it.
Aps you download to your computer and phone ask you permissions like: using your camera, location, alter your files and email.
I like replying to news stories via comment sections... Business Insider asked me to "have access when offline"
EXCUSE ME?  ACCESS WHEN OFFLINE?  
Yeah... throw away your electronics.... you don't have privacy rights... when your in public, and now, when you are at home.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #12 - 02/13/16 at 07:22:19

old_rider wrote on 02/12/16 at 19:35:23:
I use face book all the time, every day.....
I have 106 or so friends.... to become my friend, I have to actually meet you.... dozens of times.
My privacy settings are "for friends only" and a couple of them are "family only"
If you buy from a store with your credit card.... your card company is tracking what you buy and sending that information off to google and face book or what ever ad company they deam as a "third party".
Your cell phone and cable companies... pretty much do the same... track where you are, and what you watch.
If you use your cell phone or computer to buy stuff, they know where you are and what you buy.... then pass that info to the "third party".
If you use your browser...no matter what OS.... watch the ads that pop up.
They will pertain to something you typed, or a site you visited.... if you are worried about your privacy..... throw away all your electronics.... no REALLY... throw them away.
Wonder why there are VERY FEW cell phones with removable batteries now days? Yup....even when you are not using it.
Aps you download to your computer and phone ask you permissions like: using your camera, location, alter your files and email.
I like replying to news stories via comment sections... Business Insider asked me to "have access when offline"
EXCUSE ME?  ACCESS WHEN OFFLINE?  
Yeah... throw away your electronics.... you don't have privacy rights... when your in public, and now, when you are at home.

You're right, our privacy is invaded all the time. But throwing out electronics is not an option. I just believe in minimizing the invasion as much as possible. Even with the fb settings you have, I still don't believe it's as secure as MeWe. Just like DuckDuckGo doesn't track your searches and Google does. So I'll stick with the more secure search engine. I believe Firefox is more secure that Chrome or Explorer (at least it's supposed to be) so I'll choose the more secure option.

I think most people on fb like for their posts to be shared. Within reason. A lot of them, mostly kids that don't think, don't know how much of their personal information is being sold. With MeWe, they wouldn't have to worry about it. Mark Weinstein, one of the founders of MeWe, is a privacy advocate. I don't know either of the Marks personally but I sure as hell don't trust Zuckerberg.

If you're happy with fb and their irrational fear and hatred of law-abiding gun owners, and their limiting of free speech, and their creepy facial recognition software, stay with them. Millions and millions of other people will join you. I'm just not one of them. I'm just throwing MeWe out there for the others who prefer not to give up their privacy willingly but still be socially engaged.

FWIW, the battery still comes out of my phone. I'm holding off on the smart phones until my old flip phone is no longer supported. Mostly because the case takes up less room on my belt. And a smart phone wouldn't last a week carried around in my pocket.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/13/16 at 07:33:27

what phones can't have the batteries removed? I have yet to own such a model, and might choose not to, given that knowledge
as far as what I share on FB, I am very rarely there, and wouldn't say anything on it I wouldn't say in mixed company, anyway
I do not like the idea of being censored, though, and I try to boycott anti gun sites where possible
actually I was 'friends' with Texas gun rights and a few other on there, wondered what happened to those posts
actually I just checked, TGR is still on FB, and doesn't appear to be being censored, what gun groups have been censored and for what?

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #14 - 02/13/16 at 08:34:45

Art Webb wrote on 02/13/16 at 07:33:27:
what phones can't have the batteries removed? I have yet to own such a model, and might choose not to, given that knowledge
as far as what I share on FB, I am very rarely there, and wouldn't say anything on it I wouldn't say in mixed company, anyway
I do not like the idea of being censored, though, and I try to boycott anti gun sites where possible
actually I was 'friends' with Texas gun rights and a few other on there, wondered what happened to those posts
actually I just checked, TGR is still on FB, and doesn't appear to be being censored, what gun groups have been censored and for what?

I honestly don't know how many of the gun groups on MeWe (and there's a BUNCH of them) came from facebook but just reading the description, I'm pretty sure this one did.

Dallas DFW Pistols Exchange Texas ( 757 )

F#@K you Facebook! Now that that's out of the way... Dallas DFW Pistols Exchange - Please only post PISTOL(S) only - FS, FT, ISO, etc. AR pistols are & pistol accessories are OK to post. NO rifles, shotguns & non pistol related items. Please include in your for posts: Image of your item, Value & Location. Must be 21 years or older. No trolling or negative comments on any post. If you don't like it, move on... All Federal, local laws.

It's mostly the private sale of firearms that have been banned, even thought the transactions are legal. Like the Illinois group where you have to have a valid FOID card which means you already went through a background check.

Bloomberg wants even the pictures of AR's banned. I don't know if they would go that far. One article I read said it was over 10,000 gun owners (per day, week, month? I don't remember) were moving to MeWe.

A search will come up with quite a few stories about the migrations.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:30:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Goodbye facebook - hello MeWe

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.