Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
1st bike, 2005 Savage s40 - Advice and Journal (Read 1266 times)
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Re: About to buy 1st bike, 2005 Savage s40 need ad
Reply #15 - 02/15/16 at 03:17:42

Excellent. There is so much information here with the highest gratitude - Thanks!

Read your post about the Cafe tires. Although I did not understood much it was informative and will return to it to find the best possible combination of front and back tires.

I'm afraid to go into the Bike Build Sticky is 3 AM....and i dont work tomorrow! Grin

Dave wrote on 02/10/16 at 02:09:58:
Welcome to the Forum....update your personal information(MY CENTER) at the top of the page.  List your City so folks will know where you live.....it helps to know who lives in your area.

Same thing I did.  I bought my bike and rode it for about a year, then tore it apart and did the Cafe' conversion over one winter.  The first year on the Cafe' it was in primer and I worked on getting everything the way I liked it.....then the following winter it was torn apart and painted.  (It was actually a bit more fun when in primer, as I wasn't so fussy about it staying clean or getting a scratch).

The Bike Builds section has threads that show other folks builds, and should keep you entertained and informed for a few hours.  When you start down this trail you might want to keep your build in a single thread....that way you can be added to the bike build section as your bike progresses. The Bike Build Sticky is at the top of the Rubber Side Down page, I have included a link below:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1383565946

Oh yeah....almost forgot.  Before you decide to order your rims and tires....read this.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1435340395

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/15/16 at 08:29:03

I also have decided on an S40 or Savage. I'm looking at a 1999 and a 2003. Both in good condition, with stock exhaust. Any suggestions? Is there a year of S40 or Savage to avoid? I've been riding since age 15. My choice of this Suzuki is because I want to maintain it myself hopefully never to over pay for dealer service. This Forum is great!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 02/15/16 at 08:37:42

read the 'buying tips' in the tech section index (link below)

WWW   IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #18 - 02/15/16 at 10:53:08

I think with everything that I'm learning from here I might start a threat, if there isn't one already, about what to do when you get your bike home.

Roll Eyes

This is a little embarrassing asking...buut how do I warm it up properly. I want to ride it a bit.

1. I figured how to start it. Do I need to use the choke, it starts without it...if yes for how long?

2. Anything i should or shouldn't do while is warming up.

3. How do I know when is ready to ride?

4. How long should I ride it.

The bike is not register yet, it might take me a week or two to get to the DMV and do all the paper work plus insurance. In the mean time I don't want it just sitting there.

p.s. I tried searching on how to turn on the bike, but I keep running on people having starting issues.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 02/15/16 at 11:32:25

Kruzader wrote on 02/15/16 at 10:53:08:
1. I figured how to start it. Do I need to use the choke, it starts without it...if yes for how long?

If it starts and idles fine without it then no you don't need it.
However if it stumbles with a blip of the throttle then yes it needs to warm up a bit.

Quote:
2. Anything i should or shouldn't do while is warming up.
Get your helmet on

Quote:
3. How do I know when is ready to ride?

when your helmet is on, then take it easy for a few miles

Quote:
4. How long should I ride it.

As long as you want or the tank is empty, then refill, repeat.

Quote:
The bike is not register yet, it might take me a week or two to get to the DMV and do all the paper work plus insurance. In the mean time I don't want it just sitting there.

You buy a car, you drive it home while the paper work goes thru the mill.
No one expects you to park it and the registration from the prior owner is still valid.  Key issue is to get insurance, least it is in my state.

If you weren't told anything about the bike, like when was the last oil change... I'd change it.  Not that it's gonna suddenly seize up on you, but if you intend to keep it, then maintain it.  Know when the starting point is and do it.  oil, filters, etc.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 02/15/16 at 11:32:26

The bike should not be warmed up....it should be started (use choke if you have to), then give it a fast idle with your throttle hand for about 30 seconds, then let the idle drop down, pull in the clutch, put the bike in first gear....and ride off.  Don't apply a lot of throttle for a few miles and let the bike warm up as you ride.....the bike doesn't make a lot of oil pressure at idle, and we believe cam damage occurs if you let the bike idle while resting on the side stand.

In KY you need to have Proof if insurance immediately - the insurance companies will issue you a card as soon as you get the coverage arranged for....even with Progressive when you apply and pay online.  You are only allowed to ride the bike to the DMV without the registration being completed - but you need the insurance in effect when yo go to the DMV.....you are expected to get the paperwork done, and a new plate issued "before" you begin to ride at will.  The hard copy of the title takes a few weeks - but the license and registration is done immediately and riding without the paperwork is illegal.

That key switch is a tricky deal...you need to turn it counterclockwise to turn the bike OFF, and clockwise one click to turn it ON.  If you turn it clockwise, it is a park position and it runs the tail light....and will run the battery down if you mistakenly turn the switch to that position.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 02/15/16 at 13:51:26

I've gotten into the habit of always checking my tail light after I get off. I'm paranoid of walking away from the bike and leaving the light on. One day I might get brave and wire the ignition switch so the park function is disabled.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #22 - 02/15/16 at 15:41:45

She performed! I didn't thou. I Took her for a ride made it past 3rd gear in the court....once i get  all the paper work ill venture out.

However, i laid it down on the way up to the garage....mostly aimed for the grass and took out the back light. I bought it taped..so i just gave it the last of it.  :'(Sad

If anyone has a spare one or selling one...well let me know. Grin

20160215_152231_resized.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/15/16 at 16:41:47

I am thinking 3rd gear might be a bit too fast for the Court.....glad you weren't hurt.

Have you taken a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riders course?   Do you have much riding experience?  The Savage has a good amount of low end grunt, and it is easy to use a bit too much throttle when you are not used to riding a big single.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #24 - 02/15/16 at 17:00:57

I took the course, about 3 - 4 months ago... and haven't had any experience on bike besides that. I'm on my own with you guys....

I know why i dropped it... there's a dip at the entrance of the drive way and then it goes up... i took it a bit fast - thinking if i slowed down it will tilt, plus I came in at  an angle, like i usually do with the cars to avoid a hard drop. On the bump I grabbed the throttle and guess I panicked a little.  3 feet away from the garage. Lesson learned!

I'm fine no scratches other than dirt on the foot peg and the light.
i had spent half day yesterday cleaning it. Sad

..... Learning to ride is gong to be mainly on me practicing, safety and tips from everyone I know that does.

--- While on the bike, I did notice a sound coming down from the tank... sort of a Ticking, wondering if is because is a single engine.

IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #25 - 02/15/16 at 17:44:09

1st motorcycle is always a learning experience.   Take it slow, and be cautious.  #1 rule on a motorcycle = Pay attention . It your attention drifts, the motorcycle will do something to get you attention and it do so in such a manner that will be more than slightly painful....... Embarrassed
That being said, a motorcycle is a highly relaxing way to spend time outdoors and "get around".  Smiley

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #26 - 02/15/16 at 17:51:40

There are 2 types of motorcyclists:
Those that HAVE dropped their bike and those who WILL drop their bike!  Wink

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #27 - 02/16/16 at 01:32:06

Check for sale and wanted in this forum, a lot of the bobber/RYCA brigade sell their unwanted stuff there.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #28 - 02/16/16 at 04:07:43

Empty parking lots are good places to practice low speed turns and coordination of front and back brake, panic stops.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #29 - 02/16/16 at 18:26:23

The most difficult part of riding a motorcycle is riding slowly. Anyone can go fast. Try riding as slow as you can (in a deserted area like an empty parking lot) and try to do some figure 8's as tight as you can without putting your foot down. I also try to do 180° turns as slow and as tight as I can without losing control. Once you master this you can try the expert level of riding in a straight line in 2nd-5th gear at speeds greater than 15 mph!  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:15:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1st bike, 2005 Savage s40 - Advice and Journal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.