Send Topic Print
S40 forks (Read 76 times)
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
S40 forks
02/06/16 at 18:06:34

Hello everyone, would anyone have an idea on how to remove the black plastic wind deflectors on the forks of a stock s40? I got some gaiters that are goin on soon.  Cool

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: S40 forks
Reply #1 - 02/06/16 at 20:59:53

Red Ryder,

If you are going to remove the fork tubes to put the gaiters on you can use a block of wood and a small hammer to tap the wind deflector loose and then just slide them up the fork tube and off.

I have spit gaiters because at the time I didn't want to drop the fork tubes.I used a block of wood and tapped the deflectors up and I then split the deflector with a sharp utility knife and slipped it off.

This split gaiter is not the best way to cover the forks if you ride in the rain frequently.

Kenny

Fork_Boots_-2.JPG
  IP Logged
Redryder652

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bergen County, New jersey
Reply #2 - 02/06/16 at 21:09:27

Thanks Kenny, yes I'm going to drop the forks and put on a set of daystars. Also, why do you have a fork brace and the fender? Does it increase rigidity?

Thanks, Dan

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #3 - 02/06/16 at 21:34:21

Dan,

The fork brace certainly increases the rigidity of the whole front end. In North Texas the rural roads crack because there is no draining built under the roads.  When the cracks are patched, with hot asphalt, the ribbons are all over the place and the front wheel tries to follow them. The fork brace stiffens up the front end enough to minimize the front tire following the ribbons.

I highly recommend the fork brace. The brace is made by someone on the forum, Tkat is the name of the brace.

Kenny G

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/07/16 at 09:53:05

Tar snakes. I watched an old dude go down on a straight, dry road. The front tire climbed it, but the ribbon of tar was running at such an angle that the rear tire just slid along it, moving left, until the dude just lowsided at about forty MPH.  I was in the other lane but had room, so, hopped the car over and hit the brakes. I didn't know if the driver in the other lane was awake, gonna mash him, help him, whatever, so, I did. When I got to him and asked if he was alright, all he said was
What Happened? He dusted off and rode away. I respect those tar snakes. Don't trust them to Not bite. If they are across the road, okay, but if they are running down the road and Kinda across, beware.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #5 - 02/07/16 at 10:19:18

Justin,

A rider has to live in Texas, or any other state, that uses hot asphalt to seal cracks to know how dangerous they are. I had a Honda crossed up on a tar snake when I first moved here and it scared the day lights out of me. The Tkat fork brace on the S40 has really helped me deal with rural roads. When the roads are wet the tar snakes are as slick as trolley tracks.

Kenny g

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/08/16 at 08:51:12

I treat tar snake like RR tracks, I try not to cross them nless it can be done at a near 90 degree angle
ride along one and you are asking for it

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 11:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 forks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.